India in Australia

Who is going to win in Adelaide?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
What a great game! Unfortunately marred by lots of controversy though I would rate this up there with Adelaide 06/07 Ashes win.

I honestly can't believe that some Indian officals and fans and thinking about pulling out of the tour. When England came to Australia and bowled Bodyline there was up-roar. Australia had to apologize to the English for using the world un-sportsman like when Larwood hit Oldfield in the skull. To pull out of the tour because of umpiring decision is rubbish. What is wrong with standing your ground and you nicked it? Yes, you should be out but it should be for the umpire to judge not you. If anything India was behaving un-sportsmans like by calling Symonds a monkey.

We shouldn't overlook the fact that we had five excellent days of cricket just because of some dubious umpiring decisions.

There is no proof that India called Symonds a monkey. There is proof that Harbhajan has been convicted of racism without evidence and India suffered six howlers of umpiring decisions. Australia also claimed a grassed catch after Ponting pushed Kumble to agree to a fielder-honesty process.

India should not pull out, but this is more than one or two bad umpiring decisions.

I know I am probably going to get flamed straight away by many of the Indian fans, and I apologise if you find anything I say offensive, I am trying not to be! Yes I am Australian, but don't accuse me of being biased. I was entirely happy when Australia's batting collapsed in the first day because it was about time that Australia had a challenge rather than an overwhelming win.

For people criticising Australia's appealing, perhaps you should take a look at India's appealing. You do realise that India appealed for lbw's that were easily outside the line, and were called so by the commentators too. But no-one is bashing India in the media for such appeals...because they happen. What looks right to the bowler or umpire doesn't necessarily mean it IS right. But the umpire's decision is the umpire's decision. When I saw Michael Clark's "catch" I knew it was speculative. No camera was in a good enough angle to get the full story. Really it is down to the integrity of the fieldsman to make the call and the integrity of the umpire to make a decision. I am sure if it was Paul Collingwood taking the catch he would still be questioned, even though many hold him in regards as one of the best fielders ever. The point is that we, as viewers, have the ability to sit back and criticise anything and everything with hindsight. But if you were the umpire, you had been standing out in the middle all day just like the players, then you don't have the ability to sit back and form an opinion on the matter. You either give Out or Not Out, there is no real time for conscientious objection. I agree poor decisions were given by the umpires, and there were some speculative calls (speculative meaning none of us can make a fair assumption as to what happened [ie. Michael Clark's catch...no cameras had a good angle, both hands and ball were at the absolute bottom of frame and blurred, so not even third umpire could have been used]. In such cases, really only the umpire can be blamed for such a decision, if it was in fact the wrong decision. (I'm not saying it was, I'm not saying it wasn't)

Thats why eventhough aussies are worl champions no one respects their team

As for the apparent 'lack of respect' for the Australian team, someone tell him he is dreaming. Even though we flattened England in the Ashes 5-0, (sorry Skateboarder, Manee, Stevie and Evertonfan :P but it is true) England respects Australia. The Ashes is quite possibly THE most highly regarded cricket series in the world, and it is played by the two most highly regarded teams in the world, Australia and England (see Skateboarder, Manee, Stevie and Evertonfan, I said you are one of the most highly regarded teams in the world ;P ) New Zealand, Pakistan, South Africa, West Indies, Zimbabwe, Sri Lanka all respect Australia. Questioning Australia's integrity as a team is unfair. Especially when worded in such obviously biased distaste.

As for Anil Kumble's comment of "Only one team was playing with the spirit of the game, that's all I can say". I purely disregard this comment. The spirit of the game would have been to just draw the game or let India win? I don't think so. The spirit of the game is to PLAY until the last ball, which is what we did, and we won. Imagine if we hadn't continued playing, India would have drawn the match and there would be none of this criticism. India is just as fiercely competitive as Australia when it comes to cricket. Losing a match is met by much criticism in the media. It is both vicious and malicious. I think Kumble's comment was out of line, and very contradictory because he is now putting himself out of 'the spirit of the game'. Bad decisions are made no matter who the teams or umpires are. Placing the blame on a whole team and calling them unsportsmanlike is against the spirit of the game.

http://content-www.cricinfo.com/ci/content/current/story/329440.html

Keep in mind, I was not watching the match, I trust Cricinfo for all my cricket news.

Then you got to keep quiet and not make comments like "Harbhajan should not have called him a monkey, no matter what"!!!! There has been been conclusive evidence to suggest that he said that, and the verdict is not something that is always right.

WHy would ICC ban someone if they are not proven guilty?

Because they do not have the adequate people to properly investigate on the case.

Last edited:
There is no proof that India called Symonds a monkey. There is proof that Harbhajan has been convicted of racism without evidence and India suffered six howlers of umpiring decisions. Australia also claimed a grassed catch after Ponting pushed Kumble to agree to a fielder-honesty process.

India should not pull out, but this is more than one or two bad umpiring decisions.

Well it looks like he has been banned for three matches so it must be true.

Click here

Well it looks like he has been banned for three matches so it must be true.

Click here

There was no evidence though, just the word of Symonds and Ponting.

MV Sridhar, the assistant manager, who spoke to the media before the decision was announced, said there was no video or audio evidence involving Harbhajan

I cannot believe Kumble is pointing the finger at Ponting - what a sore loser. Ponting offered Kumble a walking policy regarding nicks which is chose to decline.....so is he serious when he thinks that Australia should still hold their end of the bargain? He is kidding himself.

And there is extreme short sightedness regarding umpiring decisions - can you not remember that both Laxman and Sachin survived absolutely dead plumb LB decisons very early in their first innings? India can count their lucky stars that this even went into a 5th day. Sure LBs are a little more contentious than caught behinds, but I think India are still winning 2-1 when it came to critical decisions.

This is the worst thing about cricket today - any team can whinge till the cows come home when they are defeated by Australia and somehow events are twisted to make the Australians look like bad winners...then when Australians complain it is twisted to make them look like bad losers. The jealousy in international cricket at the moment is deplorable. We rolled the strongest batting line up in world cricket for the 3rd time for 200 or less yesterday yet somehow it is still our dirty tricks and not our skill that allows us to do this. They would've been skittled for less than 200 in the first innings if truly every decision went our way.

It was a fine performance from the Aussies - we should set the record easily at the WACA then can hopefully finish the drubbing in Adelaide. Its a shame, this was suppose to be a big challenge...it is only turning out to be a challenge off the field, same old story on the field.

Gilly - Not really, no proof has been given, so the Aussies could be making it up for all we know.

Last edited:
So, what playing XI would you guys put up for the Perth test? Pankaj Singh will probably come in for Bhajji, unless the management decides to use VRV for some unknown and illogical reason. Sehwag should come in for Jaffer and Karthik can come in for Yuvraj. They would work as a good opening combination, with Sehwag attacking at one end and Karthik holding up the other. We've had trouble getting good starts and I think those two are capable enough to provide some for us.
Kumble doesn't seem like the guy to make a ton of changes. I wouldn't be surprised if he sticks with Jaffer and Dravid. :mad: I think Irfan may come in for Bhajji. Or maybe even Murali Kartik!

http://content-www.cricinfo.com/ci/content/current/story/329440.html

Keep in mind, I was not watching the match, I trust Cricinfo for all my cricket news.
If that is the case, Bhajji deserved to be banned. The only question that remains is where the proof was. If the proof came from Symonds and Ponting, it really is a conflict of interest.

Last edited:
Haha! Loads of people sending in hate mail to Sky! This is amusing to say the least. We should all send hate mail to the ICC :p.

My email got read on air as well. Anyone catch it?
It was the one calling Bucknor MOM :). It had more in it, I guess they couldnt say that stuff on the air :p

If that is the case, Bhajji deserved to be banned. The only question that remains is where the proof was. If the proof came from Symonds and Ponting, it really is a conflict of interest.

It was purely Australias word vs the Indians. And not surprisingly the umpires and refs have backed the home team.

There was no credible proof, Bhajji should not be banned.

I cannot believe Kumble is pointing the finger at Ponting - what a sore loser. Ponting offered Kumble a walking policy regarding nicks which is chose to decline.....so is he serious when he thinks that Australia should still hold their end of the bargain? He is kidding himself.

And there is extreme short sightedness regarding umpiring decisions - can you not remember that both Laxman and Sachin survived absolutely dead plumb LB decisons very early in their first innings? India can count their lucky stars that this even went into a 5th day. Sure LBs are a little more contentious than caught behinds, but I think India are still winning 2-1 when it came to critical decisions.

This is the worst thing about cricket today - any team can whinge till the cows come home when they are defeated by Australia and somehow events are twisted to make the Australians look like bad winners...then when Australians complain it is twisted to make them look like bad losers. The jealousy in international cricket at the moment is deplorable. We rolled the strongest batting line up in world cricket for the 3rd time for 200 or less yesterday yet somehow it is still our dirty tricks and not our skill that allows us to do this. They would've been skittled for less than 200 in the first innings if truly every decision went our way.

It was a fine performance from the Aussies - we should set the record easily at the WACA then can hopefully finish the drubbing in Adelaide. Its a shame, this was suppose to be a big challenge...it is only turning out to be a challenge off the field, same old story on the field.

Lol
You think you had more decisions against you then us? Lets list them.

Ponting-Caught Behind, not given. 1-India
Ponting LBW- Edge onto the pads - 1 Australia
Symonds Caught behind- 2 India
Symonds Stumped- 3 India
Symonds Stumped (2) -4 India
Tendulkar LBW- 2 Australia
Laxman LBW (I dont remember this but i will take your word for it) -3 Aus
Dravid caught behind-5 India
Ganguly caught by Clarke- 6 India

Thats all I can care to remember. If anyone wants to add some, they are free to do so.

6-3 based on my calculations, obviously you guys have been luckier and or favored.

You dont think taking 3 wickets in 2 overs is a challenge? Go watch golf or something. This match was a thriller.

But I must say, that was one cracker of a match. How long has it been since we have seen such a game- a battle against time, dogged batting from the skip (Who is a bowler lol) and a team losing after posting 540 odd. Brilliant stuff, even if the umpire was crap.

Hussey was plumb LBW in his innings to add to your list. There is no use continually whining about decisions though.

God, wake up this morning to this.

Can't beleive this. Good to see Singh charged.

Lol at the Anti-Australia avatars. I'll use a Anti-Singh avatar then:)

You forgot the incorrect decision that allowed Hussey to score those important runs in the second innings.

My email got read on air as well. Anyone catch it?
It was the one calling Bucknor MOM :). It had more in it, I guess they couldnt say that stuff on the air :p

It was purely Australias word vs the Indians. And not surprisingly the umpires and refs have backed the home team.

There was no credible proof, Bhajji should not be banned.

Lol
You think you had more decisions against you then us? Lets list them.

Ponting-Caught Behind, not given. 1-India
Ponting LBW- Edge onto the pads - 1 Australia
Symonds Caught behind- 2 India
Symonds Stumped- 3 India
Symonds Stumped (2) -4 India
Tendulkar LBW- 2 Australia
Laxman LBW (I dont remember this but i will take your word for it) -3 Aus
Dravid caught behind-5 India
Ganguly caught by Clarke- 6 India

Thats all I can care to remember. If anyone wants to add some, they are free to do so.

6-3 based on my calculations, obviously you guys have been luckier and or favored.

But I must say, that was one cracker of a match. How long has it been since we have seen such a game- a battle against time, dogged batting from the skip (Who is a bowler lol) and a team losing after posting 540 odd. Brilliant stuff, even if the umpire was crap.

when i say 2-1 i ws referring to decisons that ended up costing the opposition team badly.

when i say 2-1 i ws referring to decisons that ended up costing the opposition team badly.

3 Symonds dismissals costed us 160 plus runs.
Dravid and Ganguly were looking good. I feel if they were in, we would have drawn easy.

5-2.

God, wake up this morning to this.

Can't beleive this. Good to see Singh charged.

Lol at the Anti-Australia avatars. I'll use a Anti-Singh avatar then:)

I think they are pretty stupid, though.

Anti Ponting, maybe, Anti Bucknor for sure.

I like my avvie though :)

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread