India in Australia

Who is going to win in Adelaide?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
If Gilly won't play, then it will be said today. But if he doesn't play, that brings to an end 93 consecutive tests in a row that he has played. He has not missed a single test through injury.

One bad innings and everyone is against Jaffer. Hes best opening batter for India in ages.

He isn't consistent enough, there is a big chance that he gets out early and puts the team in a bad way.

Karthik has been our best batsman this year, except for the Pakistan series, where the pitches were all flat and the Pakistani was hardly world class. The point is, if he gets axed like that, surely Jaffer can too.

I would re-unite the two, tbh.

I would re-unite the two, tbh.

I would like to see that as well, but looking at how much trouble we've had getting good starts, I wouldn't mind a Sehwag/Karthik combo either.

I wouldn't play RP. I'd bring in Pathan and let him bat at 8, give him the new ball.
RP can stay for a replacement for Harbajan, perhaps?

I wouldn't play RP. I'd bring in Pathan and let him bat at 8, give him the new ball.

I agree with everything in this quote, to be honest. I'd rather we played someone who will threaten a bit.

Could take out RP to play Sharma or P Singh too.

I agree when people say we need to bring back Sehwag. Bring him in and add a dash of aggression at the top of the order. He cannot perform worser than what Yuvraj did in Melbourne. Yuvraj is a great player, but I guess he needs to wait for his turn. He didnt take his chances in Melbourne and he has to pay for that when he is in a line up that is full of batting superstars (we are a superstar driven team, and we need them).

Sehwag and Jaffer should open, and Sehwag should take the attack to the Aussies. I would be flexible with the No.3 position and have Dravid come in if Sehwag is not out, and have Ganguly come in if Jaffer is not out. This way, you have one player who is blocking one end up, and the other guy who can look to score runs and take the attack to the opposition. Sachin is a sure shot at No.4. Dravid/Ganguly at No.5 (depending on who bats at No.3) and Laxman and Dhoni to follow. Dravid cant go below Laxman.

I would continue with Kumble and Harbhajan. Bhajji showed signs of returning to wicket taking ways in the second innings of Melbourne. And Kumble is a GENIUS (plus he is captaiN)!! I would pick Irfan Pathan in place of RP Singh because he will strengthen the batting and he is a much improved bowler these days (he mixes his pace well and hits 140kph occasionally). He has better experience of Aussie conditions, and most importantly has the attitude of a FIGHTER which is absolutely essential for this Indian outfit. Is also an excellent fielder (comparing with RP will be insult to Irfan). He is a better left armer than RP Singh. Even without swing, he can keep it tight and induce mistakes and can help Zaheer attack at the other end. If it swings, Irfan can run through Australia.

I think we will put up a better show in Sydney (pretty confident). Our team revels in these type of situations, and will surely bounce back. Sachin looks dangerous, and Australia must surely be wary. I reckon he (his aggressive ways which he displayed in Melbourne) could possibly prove to be the tonic India needs in Sydney.

My final XI (India)
Wasim Jaffer
Virender Sehwag
R Dravid/S Ganguly (depending on which opener gets out first)
Sachin Tendulkar
S Ganguly/R Dravid (depending on which one plays at No.3)
VVS Laxman
MS Dhoni (wk)
Irfan Pathan
Anil Kumble (*captain)
Harbhajan Singh
Zaheer Khan

Perfect. But I would retain Harbhajan too. Sydney has a reputation for being spinner friendly.

Last edited:
I would put in Karthik for Dhoni. His keeping is better, his batting outside India and on bowler-friendly tracks is better, he is more technically sound. Sounds great imo, but we all know its not going to happen.

Instead of Ganguly being the "attacking" number three, i'd put in Laxman. He's aggressive, but he won't get out. He's got a good rep at number three, can tackle the short stuff better. Plus, Aussies have nightmares about him ;)

I can't stop staring at my sig! Lol!

Last edited:
I would put in Karthik for Dhoni. His keeping is better, his batting outside India and on bowler-friendly tracks is better, he is more technically sound. Sounds great imo, but we all know its not going to happen.

Instead of Ganguly being the "attacking" number three, i'd put in Laxman. He's aggressive, but he won't get out. He's got a good rep at number three, can tackle the short stuff better. Plus, Aussies have nightmares about him ;)

Dhoni won't be dropped. Karthik cannot attack like Dhoni does. We dont need a solid option (as we have lots of solid players who can stay in there like Dravid, Tendulkar, Ganguly, Laxman). For the aggressive option, Dhoni is better than even Sehwag because when he starts hitting it, he will hit it big (of course, I know he has to hit it but he is capable of that). Karthik might be a technically better keeper, but on form, Dhoni is a better keeper.

Laxman is aggressive? Than Ganguly? :eek: . Ganguly is the best solid player in the team right now, ON FORM. And we all know how aggressive he is. Ganguly has not looked like getting out in the last few test matches.

Dhoni won't be dropped. Karthik cannot attack like Dhoni does. We dont need a solid option (as we have lots of solid players who can stay in there like Dravid, Tendulkar, Ganguly, Laxman). For the aggressive option, Dhoni is better than even Sehwag because when he starts hitting it, he will hit it big (of course, I know he has to hit it but he is capable of that). Karthik might be a technically better keeper, but on form, Dhoni is a better keeper.

Laxman is aggressive? Than Ganguly? :eek: . Ganguly is the best solid player in the team right now, ON FORM. And we all know how aggressive he is. Ganguly has not looked like getting out in the last few test matches.

Obviously we've seen that the Dravids, the Tendulkars, the Ganguly's, and the Laxman's haven't been as solid as you make them out to be. We need extra support, an extra cushion to be there in the end. And Karthik can be quite aggressive when he wants to be.

And Dhoni isn't in form.

Apart from the deliveries that did get him out....

Was that sarcastic?

Ganguly's technique has changed quite a bit since he has comeback. His 'short ball' phobia seems gone as he is much more assured against the short ball (even the deliveries on his rib cage, he fends it off much much better). He is not perfect as Dravid or Sachin is, but has improved greatly in his game.

Obviously we've seen that the Dravids, the Tendulkars, the Ganguly's, and the Laxman's haven't been as solid as you make them out to be. We need extra support, an extra cushion to be there in the end. And Karthik can be quite aggressive when he wants to be.

And Dhoni isn't in form.

One half century against Pakistan (it was clearly Kumble's desire to give Karthik some batting practice in that innings) doesnt make Karthik in form too.

Last edited:
Was that sarcastic?

Ganguly's technique has changed quite a bit since he has comeback. His 'short ball' phobia seems gone as he is much more assured against the short ball (even the deliveries on his rib cage, he fends it off much much better). He is not perfect as Dravid or Sachin is, but has improved greatly in his game.

One half century against Pakistan (it was clearly Kumble's desire to give Karthik some batting practice in that innings) doesnt make Karthik in form too.

Would you rather have a guy who has played well in 2 seamer friendly countries, is known to be poor at home and had a bad series at home, and probably the second best batsman this year for us, or a guy who's been in bad form for the past 8 months at least and is in ESPECIALLY bad form outside the subcontinent?

Karthik cannot attack like Dhoni does.

Oh yes he can, he is much more orthodox, thats all.

Dhoni swings his bat like a mad man and gets it with pure brutality, Karthik has class. I suggest you look the his Challenger Trophy Hundred for his aggression. I'd post a link, but I can't.

Besides you don't need to go nuts in a Test.

Indians can do something here in the second test IMO.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread