IPL Indian Premier League 2016- General Discussion

Which team will be the champion of IPL 2017?

• Delhi Daredevils

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Kolkata Knight Riders

Votes: 1 50.0%
  • Kings XI Punjab

• Mumbai Indians

• Rising Pune Supergiants

• Gujarat Lions

• Sunrisers Hyderabad

Votes: 1 50.0%
  • Royal Challengers Bangalore

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Currently a very intense battle going on among potential limited overs openers for India. Vijay, Shikhar Dhawan, Robin Uthappa are all doing very well for their respective sides and are fighting it out hard. Even Rohit Sharma has done quite well this season so far. I stick my neck out and say that Vijay should be drafted into the Indian team soon for ODI's and T20's ahead of Rahane. Vijay is a better opener and has all the shots and the ability to switch gears effortlessly. Hope it happens soon!

Again I have mentioned this before - if you do not give him enough overs to bowl, where will he get better figures from? From your numbers, he has bowled 30 overs (180 balls) in 10 matches at an average of 3 overs per match. For your prime bowler to be bowling 10 overs less than what he should have bowled in the games so far, is not a good thing. And also the way he has been used by Dhoni when he was eventually bowled, also leaves a lot to be desired.

What you will say about this 7.20 econ ?

Feel for Vijay.

Even though Behardien plays as a finisher in any side, Akshar Patel should have come ahead of him. Behardien was playing his first game of the season and sending him into a situation like this especially when Akshar Patel has played a couple of handy cameos in last 2 games is a bit of an error. Also Jordan bowled a rubbish last over. Both Stoinis and Behardien had enough chances to score 17 runs of that over.

The first mistake was putting Behardien in the team...

What you will say about this 7.20 econ ?

I have been saying that he has not been used properly at all. In that case, what use in dissecting his economy? Yes, this is a poor season for him but it also boils down to how he is used and that area has been criticized heavily by many (some even went to the extent of talking about a possible rift between Dhoni and Ashwin).

Also, read this -
Arun Venugopal: The Ashwin-Dhoni chicken v egg dilemma | Cricket | ESPN Cricinfo

Last edited:
I have been saying that he has not been used properly at all. In that case, what use in dissecting his economy? Yes, this is a poor season for him but it also boils down to how he is used and that area has been criticized heavily by many (some even went to the extent of talking about a possible rift between Dhoni and Ashwin).

Also, read this -
Arun Venugopal: The Ashwin-Dhoni chicken v egg dilemma | Cricket | ESPN Cricinfo

I was absolutely sure that this subject would pop up. I think you cannot blame either. If anything, the blame partially lies with Ashwin. I don't think he bowled well in the WT20 and I don't think he's bowled well in the IPL. You see, it's all a domino effect. I don't think the pitches have warranted a spinner bowling in the PP. It has been a fast bowlers IPL. The problem for Dhoni is that because Ashwin goes the distance in the PP he can't bowl him in the first 6. Then, he has M Ashwin/Zampa as well so you're going 7th to 14th over of spin because they can't bowl in the death. But sometimes he's forced to bowl Ashwin because bfore Dinda he didn't have a bower to bowl in the PP. It just becomes too one paced, which is why Ashwin bowls 3 overs a game. Also, RHB generally are the majority so I understand the logic of bowling the leggie for one more than the off spinner.

Personally, I find Ashwin a loud mouthed, self bragging over rated individual. Make no mistake, I do rate him as a bowler, at the moment the very best in tests but for far too long he has blown hot and cold. Sometimes he's lethal in limited overs but poor in tests while at the moment it's the opposite. He's certainly bowling slower through the air which is good in tests, but you have to mix it up in the T20. Also, if you notice he has bowled a lot of extras and most of the times he's been pumped it's because he's bowled slow and short. I am not a stats guy and the 3 wickets make him look bad, which is not as bad as he has been but this particular topic for me is a 30-70 where 70% of the blame lies with Ashwin. When Rajat Bhaitia has been your most consistent and go to bowler in an IPL season, it shows you the magnitude of doom!

The first mistake was putting Behardien in the team...

The first mistake was picking him in the auction. Maxwell was just coming into his own and Punjab decided to dump him. Manan Vohra is far too exceptional a talent to be on the bench!!

umm .. why is ashwin batting at no.4? and scoring at a SR of 50

Would have like to see Dhoni coming in right now and not Tiwary.

Users who are viewing this thread