Indian Premier League - General Discussion

This game is very much reminiscent to that of last year's game between the same two team at the same venue where Badree picked up hattrick in the 2nd over but Royal Chokers still managed to choke. With RCB death bowling woes the match is very much in favor of MI at the moment.

Well, Mumbai managed to choke harder here. Well done RCB. Especially Tim Southee, who showed what a big difference he can make to RCB's death bowling.

Southee made a huge difference today to RCB's death bowling. Have RCB brought him in too late?

Please don't pass judgements on personality. I don't know you and vice versa.

On the cricket stuff, let us put aside Williamson here because it's cricketing sense to believe that he does indeed have a very well balanced side. Yes, the batting is shaky but right from the day of the auctions everyone felt that SRH was a good bunch. When the auctions were done and the IPL had not begun, who would you say were a more established and well rounded bowling attack? Chahar/Siraj? Umesh/Shardul? Woakes/Watson? Wood/Southee? Chahal/Karn? Sundar/Harbhajan? Negi/Jadeja?

In most cases, you'd say that Bangalore had a much more experienced and rounded off attack. Yet, somehow, miraculously CSK are right there and RCB are right there. I have not once said a word about Kohli's batting. I'm an AB worshipper and have no problems admitting Kohli is the better batsman overall.

Your point on auctions? Kohli has had a huge say on the players that get picked. Every captain tells his franchise what they want and if you believe Kohli doesn't then he should really not be a captain in the first place. Dhoni and co. also had international commitments while leading in the IPL, so these are laundry washing excuses and nothing more.

The problem with Kohli is his attitude. No, I don't mean the expletives used by him on field. He simply has no grasp of the psychology of any young/foreign cricketer. Everyone cannot be a Kohli or de Villiers. His IPL sides are littered with chops and changes for no rhyme or reason. It's lack of vision, understanding of his players that has left RCB in the tatters it is today. Manan Vohra is an opener and played one game at that spot. He was then dropped after a poor innings and then re included as a middle order batsman.. Is there no sensitivity to what a 23-24 year old young insecure Indian aspiring cricketer goes through? It's the job of the captain to harbour such thoughts for his players. That's what makes a great leader.. less said about his tactical prowess the better. In his head, Corey Anderson was Wasim Akram. It's just one big fat joke. I had me a nice chuckle when you mentioned the management being responsible.. A responsible Indian cricketer once tried to have a management in place to assist players and he was replaced by a bodyguard.. So let's please not tread waters that are too shallow to dive into.

As for me throwing my toys out of the pram when things don't go my way? I have lost a lot in people I support in sport to understand how precious wins are. Sometimes, those I support have never won ever and that's life.. but you try 110% at all times. That is unpardonable. I just don't see that vision in Virat Kohli the captain.

And did anyone say Vohra should open?

Nothing against de Kock, I quite like him but Parthiv renders more balance without compromising the balance.

Parthiv
Vohra
Kohli
AB
Mandeep
CDG
Woakes
Southee
Umesh
Siraj
Chahal

This is the side I'd play. I don't think Sundar and Negi are bowling well enough to be picked on skill alone. This also means CDG can be a genuine 6th bowler!

Did anyone notice in yesterday's game, it was Baz who was captaining the side. Setting the field, talking to bowlers, running from the boundary line to the bowlers just to give them some tips etc.. Kohli always asked for Bazs' help. I seriously don't understand how long Kohli takes the help of the other teammates just to cover his captaincy flaws.

Did anyone notice in yesterday's game, it was Baz who was captaining the side. Setting the field, talking to bowlers, running from the boundary line to the bowlers just to give them some tips etc.. Kohli always asked for Bazs' help. I seriously don't understand how long Kohli takes the help of the other teammates just to cover his captaincy flaws.
I thought we all knew it wasn't Kohli captaining since RCB actually won

So 18 overs a side, I really hope Iyer, Pant and Shaw play well today. Delhi has the most over rated all rounder in history of cricket in the name of Glen Maxwell what say @JalenBabb ? I do not even know what is he still doing in the XI. Does not bring anything and is as useless as Pollard.

So 18 overs a side, I really hope Iyer, Pant and Shaw play well today. Delhi has the most over rated all rounder in history of cricket in the name of Glen Maxwell what say @JalenBabb ? I do not even know what is he still doing in the XI. Does not bring anything and is as useless as Pollard.
He brings the X factor with the bat, he looks incredible when he is in good nick.I don't rate him at all with the ball though.

He brings the X factor with the bat, he looks incredible when he is in good nick.I don't rate him at all with the ball though.

On the contrary, he's a highly under rated bowler and a highly over rated batsman.

On the contrary, he's a highly under rated bowler and a highly over rated batsman.
Used to be better with the ball, recently he just hasn't done much with it. Even in international cricket, Travis Head is preferred over him with the ball. In that case I'd bowl Maxwell over Head any day. Maxwell just seems like a 1 over bowler in t20 cricket anyways. I definitely wouldn't risk bowling him 3-4 overs in t20 cricket, I think it's a gamble to even give him 2. Something like JP Duminy yesterday

Prithvi Shaw has started off this IPL very nicely and has so far looked like a player who belongs to the big stage. There was already the "Tendulkar talk" on him. Now that talk has increased exponentially with Brian Lara also added into the mix. Being a technically sound player with the kind of scoring rate he is maintaining, is very exciting. Hope he can keep his head down and fulfill expectations like how Sachin did for 25 years.

It annoys me seeing all these people comparing Shaw to Tendulkar. With all this talk, this only puts so much pressure on him to perform.

He does seems like a good player, but in order to get the best out of him we shouldn't start comparing him to greats like Tendulkar and Lara. But please. A couple of good innings in the IPL doesn't mean he should be compared to Sachin. That's just ridiculous. He has a bright future but if there's so much hype surrounding him it's worrying if his form deteriorates because of the high expectations people expect him to fulfill.

Used to be better with the ball, recently he just hasn't done much with it. Even in international cricket, Travis Head is preferred over him with the ball. In that case I'd bowl Maxwell over Head any day. Maxwell just seems like a 1 over bowler in t20 cricket anyways. I definitely wouldn't risk bowling him 3-4 overs in t20 cricket, I think it's a gamble to even give him 2. Something like JP Duminy yesterday
I always felt Maxi wasn't used to his full potential under Smith. After Michael Clarke retired, Maxi bowled less and less where he in hindsight he's a decent bowler who can give a few overs to the captain. His talent wasn't harnessed properly and he's generally someone who bats at 6 or can mover up if in need of a pinch hitter. He's let DD down but he has a lot of potential of there's someone who can use his skills well.

This competition between Pant and Samson augurs well for Indian cricket. At the moment, I'm in slightly in favor of Pant. Personally, I wouldn't mind "looking ugly" as long as the results are coming. He seems to be having a great IPL and I think we should try him out in International T20s at the very least. Samson is not very much behind in terms of runs but If I have to choose one, I would go with Pant.

Rishabh Pant is some talent. Right now I think he's India's best choice for no. 4 in limited overs. Want to see him play a in CWC 19.

Users who are viewing this thread