Indian Premier League - General Discussion

I will just say this- These MOM awards are tosh. Chahal deserved it today and giving it to people with popularity is just a joke!

The mankad

He got a wicket by following the cricket rules. WOW! How dare you Ashwin?

the dead ball overthrow claim for four

I thought he was just inquiring about the situation and it was Ryan Harris who actually claimed it. You were in the dugout however so you would know better.

not fielding Sarfaraz and then Gayle shows the leader he is.

Pretty smart move I would say. However I did see Gayle in the field today apart form maybe 3 overs.

but The best thing he has done is bowl most of his overs when the pressure is most.

That's right :thumbs He was the standout bowler today.

What is even more inspiring is the choice of Varun Chakravarty being paid 8.5 crores and having played one game.

If I can remember correctly, Varun created quite a buzz this time before the auction just like how KC Cariappa did in 2015 IPL. Cariappa also only played one game in that whole season and was released next year by KKR. Sometimes it can be tough on them after coming in with such a huge expectation on them and the price tag that they can crumble under pressure. Varun didn't do great in the first game and might be low on confidence plus they have a more experiance international bowler in Mujeeb right now so it does look difficult for Varun to come back unless they are playing on a rank turner.

From what I can understand, Varun was bought just as a surprise package who can come in win them a couple of games if not more. They might wanted to add another mystery spinner in their squad apart from Mujeeb. This way If Mujeeb leaves early for WC, they have a kind of like for like replacement in Varun. We did see how nervous Varun was in his first game after Narine went after him. He did come back pretty well in his last couple of overs even after going for so many runs at the start I think.

I also think the move to bowl Sarfaraz today is almost identical to the one of Dhoni in the 2007 World Cup to bowl Joginder Sharma. He was just unlucky that Sam Curran couldn't finish off.

Yes, I can definitely see the similarity and as I mentioned in my previous post that Ashwin has the tendency to sometimes go overboard and that is exactly what he did there.

The master stroke was bowling Viljoen in the middle against Mumbai and bowling Curran in the death.

Definitely a mistake as Viljoen was bowling very well in that match. How dare you make human mistakes Ashwin?

It's bloody unfortunate he won't be in the World Cup squad. It'll be even worse if India opt for an off spinner and it's a 38 year old Harbhajan Singh who has been half the bowler Ashwin is!

You are not Gautam Gambhir right?

Ok ok I get it. You love Ashwin but you definitely need to keep it in your pants.

I think he has been outstanding as captain. The mankad, the dead ball overthrow claim for four, not fielding Sarfaraz and then Gayle shows the leader he is. The best thing he has done is bowl most of his overs when the pressure is most. What is even more inspiring is the choice of Varun Chakravarty being paid 8.5 crores and having played one game. I also think the move to bowl Sarfaraz today is almost identical to the one of Dhoni in the 2007 World Cup to bowl Joginder Sharma. He was just unlucky that Sam Curran couldn't finish off. The master stroke was bowling Viljoen in the middle against Mumbai and bowling Curran in the death. True leader! :thumbs

It's bloody unfortunate he won't be in the World Cup squad. It'll be even worse if India opt for an off spinner and it's a 38 year old Harbhajan Singh who has been half the bowler Ashwin is!

• If you had bothered to check that over's previous deliveries, you'd have noticed that Buttler was out of his crease for every single one of them. Also, run a synced comparison video between Rahane's and Buttler's wickets, and you'd notice that at the moment Ashwin's about to bowl in the former, Buttler would be slightly out of his crease in the latter. Also, Buttler's been mankaded twice in the past. Also, Buttler was mankaded because he was taking the game away from Punjab, and it was a perfectly legal way to dismiss him too, since he's got a glaring weakness with regards to not staying in the crease. I don't think bowling short balls to Raina when he's got a 50+ score is unethical since he's threatening to take away the game from the opposition. You'd be exploiting the weakness of a batsman in either scenario, and in a format where batsmen are already heavily favoured, I don't think anything's wrong with the mankad, especially when Buttler was easily pinching doubles in the very same game. And finally, Ashwin doesn't need to warn the batsman according to the rules.
  • Gayle didn't field for the first three overs in the previous match, yes. But he did come on immediately after that. Might have something to do with the fact that he's nearly 40 years old and had just carried the bat throughout his innings. Also, Punjab aren't the only team doing this either. I've seen Billings field for CSK on multiple occasions for eg. Given that almost every game gets over quite late, pretty much every team indulges in underhanded tactics like this. If you dislike this, advocate for changing the rule instead of blaming the team that you happen to hate.
  • Do you expect Ashwin to bowl literally every single over? He's bowled an over usually in the powerplay throughout this IPL, for one. Rashid Khan and Tahir are two other bowlers who don't bowl in the powerplays or death at all. I don't see you criticizing them for bowling the 'easy' overs as you claim. On the contrary, pretty much everyone says that those two are the best bowlers for their respective franchises.
  • And anyways, Ashwin bowled the 4th over in yesterday's game after Parthiv and Kohli got off to a blistering start versus the pacers. And hey, he happened to get a wicket too. Must have been such an easy over, aye?
  • Varun has been injured for most of the games according to almost every Cricbuzz match preview for one. And, who would he even replace in the team? M Ashwin has been bowling superbly so far. Unlike football, Ashwin doesn't get to decide the price tag of Varun either. Playing someone just because they're paid the big bucks doesn't sound like a good strategy.
  • Ashwin's always made an out-of-the-box move or two every game. Sometimes, it works. Sometimes, it doesn't. I do think he needs to tone it down a bit, but at least he's trying, unlike certain other captains.
  • Viljoen's bowled only thrice in the last 5 overs, in the four games that he's played. And coincidentally, all three of them were in games that Curran didn't play. Contrast that with Curran, who's almost always bowled at least an over in the death. It's clear that the management of Punjab don't see Viljoen as one of their primary options at death. As for why Curran bowls in the death, he's capable of good yorkers, can reverse it a bit sometimes, and also seems to have that competitive spirit that only the greats have. I do think that Viljoen should have bowled one of Curran's overs at the death in the game vs MI but hey, accidents do happen. Unlike Kohli who keeps bowling Siraj in the death for two overs nearly every game irrespective of what happens, Ashwin didn't bowl Curran in the last 5 overs yesterday, since he was expensive in his first three overs similar to the MI game, which ended up being disastrous in the end. Instead, Ashwin himself bowled an over in the death which he normally doesn't. But since Ashwin's bowled the over, it must be an 'easy' over, right?
  • If you're unironically suggesting that Harbhajan's a better bowler than Ashwin... I have a bridge for sale that you might be interested in.

Mate, you've pretty much posted criticizing Ashwin only when Punjab lose. I don't remember you posting when Punjab won versus Delhi, with Ashwin being a match-winner. He's been the best bowler for Punjab this year and given the squad that they have, has been a good leader too. But hey, why would you bother to read or care about all of this, when you can call him 'Cheatwin' every few pages incessantly and personally attack another forum member for defending him just because he happens to hail from the same state as him? For the record, I think it's hypocritical that you accuse him of supporting Ashwin for regional bias, when you're heavily biased against him in the first place. It's even more perplexing because when you don't criticize him, your posts are perfectly normal and quite insightful.

Nice scenes Yesterday a Mohali. It was a bit dissapointing to see Ashwin being disheartened at the end of the match but so pleasing to see the reactions of AB, Stoinis and especially the jubiliation on Kohli's face. For a moment I thought RCB would lose that match because of AB but he just brought out his best when it was needed. This is probably for the first time in last 3 years that I've seen him deliver in pressure situation for the team in a winning cause, indicates how much tough time he has had with this franchise. But if he did play like this right from the start it would've been so helpful for RCB but then it comes to the team environment and the owners to provide him the freedom he needs to play well on the field. Hope to see RCB comeback hard next year. Somewhere I just have a strong belief Kohli will improve as a Captain with time :thumbs

Just give this guy sometime. I believe he will do well

He got a wicket by following the cricket rules. WOW! How dare you Ashwin?

I thought he was just inquiring about the situation and it was Ryan Harris who actually claimed it. You were in the dugout however so you would know better.

Pretty smart move I would say. However I did see Gayle in the field today apart form maybe 3 overs.

That's right :thumbs He was the standout bowler today.

If I can remember correctly, Varun created quite a buzz this time before the auction just like how KC Cariappa did in 2015 IPL. Cariappa also only played one game in that whole season and was released next year by KKR. Sometimes it can be tough on them after coming in with such a huge expectation on them and the price tag that they can crumble under pressure. Varun didn't do great in the first game and might be low on confidence plus they have a more experiance international bowler in Mujeeb right now so it does look difficult for Varun to come back unless they are playing on a rank turner.

From what I can understand, Varun was bought just as a surprise package who can come in win them a couple of games if not more. They might wanted to add another mystery spinner in their squad apart from Mujeeb. This way If Mujeeb leaves early for WC, they have a kind of like for like replacement in Varun. We did see how nervous Varun was in his first game after Narine went after him. He did come back pretty well in his last couple of overs even after going for so many runs at the start I think.

Yes, I can definitely see the similarity and as I mentioned in my previous post that Ashwin has the tendency to sometimes go overboard and that is exactly what he did there.

Definitely a mistake as Viljoen was bowling very well in that match. How dare you make human mistakes Ashwin?

You are not Gautam Gambhir right?

Ok ok I get it. You love Ashwin but you definitely need to keep it in your pants.

Was going to pen an analytical response till I read the last line. @Bevab has made some decent points which I will reply to with some research I have done.

If you get the time, read it too. And I can say something in response to the last line, but getting personal isn't my style.

Was going to pen an analytical response till I read the last line. @Bevab has made some decent points which I will reply to with some research I have done.

If you get the time, read it too. And I can say something in response to the last line, but getting personal isn't my style.

Good joke

This is some bowling from Imran Tahir. He always runs in and flights the ball and bowls with such passion. He is a kind of bowler who doesn't require turning pitches to turn the ball. It's not just about his wrists but it's about his run-up. His run-up helps him turn the ball more than his wrists as he uses his entire body to give the ball the turn he wants. People will always see him bowling and they might feel that this is the ball that I could hit out of the park and in the process the batsman have always made a mess out of it. That is what flight does to you. I think if spin bowlers these days try to flight the ball more we might see them dominate this game. Every young spinner today should be encouraged to bowl flighted deliveries and that can make them real wicket-takers in this modern day Cricket[DOUBLEPOST=1555243591][/DOUBLEPOST]Now KKR needs a big over to finish things off

And not a great score from KKR as it was expected against a team like Chennai. I believe it is now difficult for KKR to win. And what about Dhoni ? Such a great Captain he is. Even at this age his game awareness is just terrific !!!! He held Tahir back and let Jaddu bowl to Lynn and make Lynn feel like he is in the hitting zone and brought back Tahir the very next over and he actually got Lynn out. Also when we talk about Russell this season he has struggled so much against CSK and that is just the work of a brilliant Captaincy from the opposition. Just love him operate like this and the area which he stands is so much of an advantage. Such an ideal player Dhoni is :clap:clap:clap:clap:clap

I find the Kolkata crowd being so disrespectful towards their opposition. They are just trying to distract the batsman from the opposition just because they feel like their team is losing. I mean come on that's not a mature move by any means. It is good that you support and cheer your team but respecting the opposition should always be there specially in a game like Cricket which every now and then the Eden Gardens crowd has made a joke off !!!!! I remember an instance back in 2017 IPL where they tried to distract Kohli and Kohli got out the very next ball and they are trying to do the same thing with Du Plessis today[DOUBLEPOST=1555245599][/DOUBLEPOST]Good reply from Du Plessis now. That's how you answer just by playing well :thumbs

Don't know suddenly what has happened to Watson :facepalm I mean he was the Man of the Tournament in IPL last year, Highest run-scorer in CPL, BPL, BBL and PSL since then. Suddenly back to IPL and started struggling for scores :rolleyes

Hope he gets back to his best now considering CSK might miss Du Plessis in later stages of IPL

Was going to pen an analytical response till I read the last line.

My reply was written in the same tone as your post

If you get the time, read it too.

I always read people's thoughts here no matter how good or shallow they are so I can get a different perspective. I actually have read all your posts as well as you can see I have replied quite a lot to your posts in the past. After that mankad incident, I thought a lot of people raised some good points including you until you went on to say something along the lines of any Indian with iota of self respect will not deem this fair. Completely unnecessary and then you top that off with blaming @SaiSrini just because they are both from TN. You then move on to your cheatwin posts which again were completely unnecessary. Then I see your reply to my post which completely petty and again unnecessary and that is why I decided to address it.

And I can say something in response to the last line, but getting personal isn't my style.

The last line was a joke just like the one you made here.

My reply was written in the same tone as your post

I always read people's thoughts here no matter how good or shallow they are so I can get a different perspective. I actually have read all your posts as well as you can see I have replied quite a lot to your posts in the past. After that mankad incident, I thought a lot of people raised some good points including you until you went on to say something along the lines of any Indian with iota of self respect will not deem this fair. Completely unnecessary and then you top that off with blaming @SaiSrini just because they are both from TN. You then move on to your cheatwin posts which again were completely unnecessary. Then I see your reply to my post which completely petty and again unnecessary and that is why I decided to address it.

The last line was a joke just like the one you made here.

Seems highly contradictory to me.

And I'm really sorry to hurt your feelings pertaining to the unfair comments on your friend. But if someone (Ashwin) does something like that, widely acknowledged by the cricketing world as within the laws but not the spirit and a person is going to empower them ("More power to him") then it all becomes a bit sour. I have seen how your good friend reacts when a Kohli simply gives a few send off's to a few batters.

Unfortunate end to a good little innings for Jadhav. Couple of pull shots towards the mid-wicket area that too against Kuldeep Yadav. Such a solid player he is !!!![DOUBLEPOST=1555248425][/DOUBLEPOST]And in comes MS :thumbs

By the way, for all the MSD fans-

Notice how Dhoni has a half open face when taking stance. This is very reminiscent of his most destructive days. He had almost completely closed his bat face after the 2015 World Cup. I feel this is giving him a lot more power through his shots, however the downside to this is that he will hit a lot of balls straight to the fielders in the circle.

Users who are viewing this thread