Indian Premier League - General Discussion

The conditions on offer on both grounds are similar so I don't see why they would need to choose one over the other. Also you can find nearly entire stadium in Mumbai supporting CSK unless they are playing MI. The Mumbai crowd does have obsession with certain players like Dhoni and Kohli. Dhoni alone brings a lot of support from the crowd for CSK.
I don't think it is that similar. Wankhede is much flatter and gives you a lot more runs than Pune. Also the MI-CSK rivalry is a pretty popular one and thats why I felt CSK won't choose Wankhede as their home ground. I know the Dhoni support is there, but still in most of Mumbai people minds, CSK is a rival.

I know the Dhoni support is there, but still in most of Mumbai people minds, CSK is a rival.
Three years ago I had been to Wankhede to watch CSK vs SRH Qualifier-1 and most of the people were supporting CSK. There are few who would think that way but most of the people care about entertainment as a whole.

IPL auction in 2 days! Nervous excitement about CSK's picks and how they can revitalize themselves.

Seeing the way Moeen Ali smashed our bowlers at Chepauk of all places, maybe he might end up on CSK's side as @LiveLoveABD predicted. I doubt we'll get Maxwell on our side. And I doubt we'll go after Smith considering that we have way too many anchors at our end.

Hope CSK make some smart picks and get an Indian off spinner and an Indian lower order hitter (Shahrukh?). An Indian leggie to replace Chawla would be good, although finding it tough to see who it could be

I just can't see how RCB is going to make a decent side with the sort of money 2-3 franchises have specially KXIP.

Surely Moeen isn't old enough to play for CSK yet.

A joke is funny when its used once... This above joke has become so stale that the laugh is now on the person who tries to crack it :D

Jadeja ain't that old, Sam Curran is a kid... And there are quite a few in the CSK camp that are young enough. Fleming and MSD confessed last year that they are probably at the fag end of that strategy and more so after the season CSK had.

Shivam Dubey will be better.

He might become too expensive for CSK to pursue him. Though he had below average returns with RCB, other teams will still go after him considering his age, nationality and skill set. We've often seen that better captain/management/setup changes fortunes of a player (e.g. Shane Watson with RCB vs Shane Watson with CSK)

To the RCB fans, any thoughts on where Sundar should bat in the RCB XI?

He seems largely ineffective batting at the backend of the innings and feel as though he could be better utilized at the top of the order with Padikkal, or move Kohli up to open with Sundar at 3. He's had pretty good success in the TNPL batting at the top of the order and I believe he made a hundred as well, if I'm not wrong. It could even allow RCB to go for the likes of Sam Billings to fill the void at 5 as well as a wicketkeeper batsmen.

Problem is, is that having two accumulators at the start at the innings could hurt the start of the innings given Padikkal isn't quite there with making explosive starts at the beginning of the innings, but Sundar has a pretty solid technique and finds the gaps well. I don't think he could do any worse than an Aaron Finch last season when he was pretty slow of the blocks in virtually every knock he played.

Moeen has played the right knock at the right time, looks like CSK could pick him up to fill the void at 4/5 as that "big hitting overseas guy". But I suspect CSK will fight every inch to get Sam Billings, seems like a more ideal candidate to bat 4 considering the all-rounders they have in Curran and Jadeja and they even get a backup wicketkeeper.

To the RCB fans, any thoughts on where Sundar should bat in the RCB XI?

He seems largely ineffective batting at the backend of the innings and feel as though he could be better utilized at the top of the order with Padikkal, or move Kohli up to open with Sundar at 3. He's had pretty good success in the TNPL batting at the top of the order and I believe he made a hundred as well, if I'm not wrong. It could even allow RCB to go for the likes of Sam Billings to fill the void at 5 as well as a wicketkeeper batsmen.

Problem is, is that having two accumulators at the start at the innings could hurt the start of the innings given Padikkal isn't quite there with making explosive starts at the beginning of the innings, but Sundar has a pretty solid technique and finds the gaps well. I don't think he could do any worse than an Aaron Finch last season when he was pretty slow of the blocks in virtually every knock he played.

My honest opinion - I'd leave Sundar where he is in the RCB batting XI, and treat any runs that he gets as a bonus. He's a 'work in progress' w.r.t his batting in T20's. He's pretty much like how Jadeja started, when Jadeja could not get the big hits going but still was a very useful bat. At some point, Jadeja added that dimension into his game (the big hits going).

As you said, Padikkal needs a big hitter to complement him and I don't see Kohli as that 'big hitter'. Kohli is a much more experienced accumulator and can crank it up notches once he gets in, but expecting him to crack it up from start is still a big ask.

Moeen has played the right knock at the right time, looks like CSK could pick him up to fill the void at 4/5 as that "big hitting overseas guy". But I suspect CSK will fight every inch to get Sam Billings, seems like a more ideal candidate to bat 4 considering the all-rounders they have in Curran and Jadeja and they even get a backup wicketkeeper.

Moeen or Maxwell offer the bonus of an off spin option, which CSK missed in the last season with the unavailability of Harbhajan. Almost everyone now is putting their bets on CSK to go after the following guys:

1) Moeen Ali (big hitter; left hander; off spin)
2) Glenn Maxwell (big hitter; off spin)
3) Steven Smith (if they are thinking of a captaincy candidate post MSD)

Glenn Maxwell has shown interest to be the part of RCB this season. And I've often seen franchises let such players go. Because no point in getting someone who is physically present but his mind is somewhere else. Instead, let them play in whichever team they want. One of the example is Gautham Gambhir switching from KKR to DC. And there wasn't much fight from other teams to get him as he had already publicly said that he wants to play for Delhi.

Which team will eye Jr. Tendulkar this time? I can't see anything out of the ordinary that he has done so far which catches the attention of the team owners.

I can't see anything out of the ordinary that he has done so far which catches the attention of the team owners
Getting the surname means getting attention, getting attention means more eyeballs, more eyeballs means your team will be the talk of the town - that's good publicity if I'm not wrong. So even if he hasn't done much, being a Tendulkar will fetch interest.

Which team will eye Jr. Tendulkar this time? I can't see anything out of the ordinary that he has done so far which catches the attention of the team owners.
MI will buy him.

MI will buy him.
I also feel like MI will go after him to some extent and he would most probably be in the squad but I don't think he can get into the XI with the kind of bowling skills he possess. He is at best a medium pacer who could get in some few overs in between. He is very much like Hardik Pandya with the ball but Pandya's batting skills meant he could still make it as a lower-order hard hitter. The problem with Arjun Tendulkar is that he hasn't shown that promise with the bat as a bowling all-rounder.

Users who are viewing this thread