Indian Premier League - General Discussion

Moeen has delivered in back to back matches which is a really good sign for CSK and I do agree with @SaiSrini that Moeen needs the open along with Uthappa. Both of them would actually take advantage of the Powerplay, an area where they haven't done well since the last edition.

I was disappointed with the way the CSK batsmen approached it near the end of their run-chase. I would consider that as brainless batting and absolutely unnecessary effort to force the finish to a match where they clearly dominated.

I felt one thing that worked against CSK was the way Raina's age old short ball weakness got horribly exposed. I think the sides would definitely try the short bowling tactics against him in the coming matches.

Raina got lucky against DC that they didn't pepper him as much with the short balls. In a way, its good that Raina is not fixed to the No. 3 slot and that CSK have atleast opened themselves up to float Raina around.

I seriously feel Ruturaj is not ready and think he got lucky last year that he eased himself when the team was out of the tournament. His comments prior to IPL 2021 where he said "I am going to focus on my strengths of timing the ball and I am not a big shot hitter" should have given the indication that this guy is more an ODI type batsman. You need openers who can cut loose and take advantage of the Powerplays when field restrictions are on. Rayudu is one guy who did that beautifully in 2018. If only we didn't have a spoilt choice of openers, Rayudu could've been promoted to open.

I don't see why Rayudu shouldn't open now. Him at five seems like a waste of his talents.

I like Gaikwad too but he is more of a classical batsman with the modern upbringing. I still don't think Uthappa is the answer but he deserves a shot now. I dread an opening duo of Uthappa and Rayudu though, imagine the lack of quick singles. :D

Rayudu
Uthappa/Jaggu/Gaikwad
Mo
Raina
Jadeja
Dhoni
Curran
Chahar
Thakur/Sai Kishore
Behrendorff/Ngidi
Tahir

I was skeptical of Mo but he's winning me over. His short ball issue could be exploited as an opener but at three he'll also face spin which shall help. I like Raina at four, he can play a lot more of his impactful innings there without having the pressure of needing to make a big score everytime.

Ngidi really does not seem like the same bowler he was once so I would have Behrendorff in there. I suppose we could get away with four overs from Curran, Chahar and Thakur at the end with Dhoni captaining them. My main concern is the lack of consistent wicket taking ability beyond Chahar and Curran's new ball spells and Thakur's 'hit me' deliveries or Bravo's cheap death wickets. We need more impetus from our side. Behrendorff is very consistent in the powerplay but that does mean we play three bowlers who all prefer the new ball. Sai Kishore playing could make that four but he did show very impressive versatility outside of the powerplay this season. I would love to see him play, get him in there!

Going back to the toss today, I don't think KL Rahul read the wicket at all and just gave a template answer when he said 'all the wickets at the Wankhede look the same'. Dhoni read the wicket much better and did mention about the extra grass and the tackiness. And it proved correct as Chahar was very challenging to play. But had Punjab read the wicket correctly and played a bit more cautious and not batted like they did in their first game when they got a flat beauty, they could've batted deeper and taken things to 140-150 which would've been a decent total on this new pitch.

Today was really a case of gross misjudgment of conditions and Punjab paid a big price for it.

Dont you think that's too many Powerplay bowlers (Chahar, Curran, Behrendorff) as opposed to a death bowler or two? I am still not convinced fully on Shardul's death abilities. Ngidi is done well for CSK before in the death in 2018 and a few games in 2020. If Bravo doesn't play, Ngidi should play. Curran is developing into a death bowler but I dont think he is completely there yet.

I do think Behrendorff should walk in when he is ready, but considering Fleming's words after the defeat to DC, they seem to rate Ngidi well.

Ngidi gets caned at the slog. He's also a management nightmare. I think Curran is a very good death bowler as is Chahar. I agree they are work in progress but they're the best available.
Post automatically merged:

Going back to the toss today, I don't think KL Rahul read the wicket at all and just gave a template answer when he said 'all the wickets at the Wankhede look the same'. Dhoni read the wicket much better and did mention about the extra grass and the tackiness. And it proved correct as Chahar was very challenging to play. But had Punjab read the wicket correctly and played a bit more cautious and not batted like they did in their first game when they got a flat beauty, they could've batted deeper and taken things to 140-150 which would've been a decent total on this new pitch.

Today was really a case of gross misjudgment of conditions and Punjab paid a big price for it.

KL has graduated with distinction from the KUC. If he wears the armband for India in any permanent role, there might be stars over our heads for a lot longer.

Like the inclusion of Mujeeb on the sluggish Chepauk track. Not too sure about Nattu's omission and the inclusion of Khaleel, he's expensive at the death and blows hot and cold for the most part. SRH need to win today to get some points on the table and stay afloat before picking momentum ahead of the playoffs.

Pressure is on Pandey, he's lost his national team contract and taking criticism for his strike rate this season (an abysmal 118 for a top order player), he needs to step up and get that scoreboard ticking over today.

MI is still playing with 1.5 spinners.

I know nobody used the midseason transfer last year, is that still a thing this year?

Rohit Sharma being the classic ipl version once again. Blow hot in the Powerplay and lose steam towards the end of it.

Quite surprised that he is more consistent in the Indian team which has a weaker middle order in T20s. Maybe the fact that he tries to play more responsibly for India so that the middle order don't get exposed.
Post automatically merged:

Tame dismissal for SKY!!!!!!

Users who are viewing this thread