International Coach
India
SRH...
Avengers
Profile Flag
India
Online Cricket Games Owned
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Steam PC
Irrespective of whether they win or not, Kolkata remains a fascinating side to me. A prototype for the future T20 franchise that gets the numbers, match-ups and other hard details right whilst having the occasional moment of gut thinking to play surprise.
And they're proving that all this "futuristic tactics" doesn't work and shouldn't be taken seriously. Match ups can work both ways, in some cases its a useful statistic (Rashid Khan vs MI's middle order) or it trumps common sense like the RCB game. KKR is letting the factor of statistical analysis and the numbers game overpower common sense. It's even made them mishandled certain players. Chakravathy got 2 wickets in an over against RCB and wasn't bowled again until later on when Maxwell was settled when any other captain in the world would bowl him in consecutive overs. Even take today's game, the Narine promotion move didn't make much sense either. Narine is best utilized in the power play because he isn't known to hit huge sixes, making it difficult for him score fast in the middle overs. But in the PP that doesn't matter anyway, because even miscues go for boundaries. Today was the perfect opportunity for Morgan to come ahead of Narine and get some runs, and bring Russell at 5 ahead of Karthik. KKR's biggest flaw for the past three seasons is not defining any roles and playing musical chairs with their batting order. They have all the resources they could ever need in terms of players, but they've been seriously mismanaged.

Bevab

Staff Member
PlanetCricket Award Winner
And they're proving that all this "futuristic tactics" doesn't work and shouldn't be taken seriously. Match ups can work both ways, in some cases its a useful statistic (Rashid Khan vs MI's middle order) or it trumps common sense like the RCB game. KKR is letting the factor of statistical analysis and the numbers game overpower common sense. It's even made them mishandled certain players. Chakravathy got 2 wickets in an over against RCB and wasn't bowled again until later on when Maxwell was settled when any other captain in the world would bowl him in consecutive overs. Even take today's game, the Narine promotion move didn't make much sense either. Narine is best utilized in the power play because he isn't known to hit huge sixes, making it difficult for him score fast in the middle overs. But in the PP that doesn't matter anyway, because even miscues go for boundaries. Today was the perfect opportunity for Morgan to come ahead of Narine and get some runs, and bring Russell at 5 ahead of Karthik. KKR's biggest flaw for the past three seasons is not defining any roles and playing musical chairs with their batting order. They have all the resources they could ever need in terms of players, but they've been seriously mismanaged.

They're trusting the wrong numbers IMO. Data is data at the end of the day, it is up to the people incharge to interpret it. That is why I believe they are a prototype, a more mature side could easily do the right things most of the time.

Neptune

Panel of Selectors
Avengers
Kkr always feel like they are one game away from clicking to me. They have the players, the balance and most roles are defined. Its surprising how they are struggling.

Bevab

Staff Member
Kkr always feel like they are one game away from clicking to me. They have the players, the balance and most roles are defined. Its surprising how they are struggling.

My ideal Kolkata XI would have Ferguson in at first. Most Indian batsmen aren't used to the searing pace that he can bowl and he has a very good bouncer that can catch anyone off-guard. I remember him hurrying Dhawan once in a T20I, completely shellacking him. Imagine what he could do to other domestic batsmen. The only reason he isn't playing is because he happens to be from the island besides Australia and not from it alongside him not being the marquee auction purchase. It is disappointing because this is the same side that did drop Kuldeep despite the latter being an international player who was running rings around world-class batsman not so long ago.

Russell is an obvious fix. I don't rate Narine's bowling much, it feels like he is always just a couple of matches away from being completely smashed. Unless he picks wickets which he did in the past, he will always be going for the above average spinner's economy at best. But, he has shown that he can bat, albeit not consistently. And as Kimber mentioned, he is the sort of guy who keeps reinventing himself to survive in this day and age. Most other mystery spinners have long gone while he still clings on.

Morgan is the real oddity. It looked like he finally cracked the IPL code last season with more than 400 runs but is back to his messy self now. I still don't think four suits him, five and above is where he shines. And Kolkata already have DK who prefers batting late and Russell who usually bats late. And he is the captain on top of that. If it weren't for that a franchise would have dropped him but I suppose he will have to be in for that very reason. Changing captains again mid-season is silly. See out this season with him and if he doesn't improve, you can always hit the inevitable reset button with Gill at the helm.

And this is why I believe Kolkata need Shakib in the top order. He prefers batting there, he has shown that he can bat if given time. T20 has never been a strong suit of his in terms of batting but there is a good batsman in him that can be coaxed out if backed. His bowling isn't much different from Narine, he is indeed more likely to be attacked but you do get a much more tactically beneficial style of batting from Shakib.

Rana as an opener feels odd to me when you've got Tripathi already. He did start the season strongly but if it were up to me he would be where he can smash spinners the best rather than open.

Tripathi (powerplay hitter, basically there to get you a quick twenty if possible, anything more which he usually does get is a good bonus)
Gill (bats through the powerplay, keeps things going at a steady rate above 130)
Shakib (yet again, his role to keep the tide rolling until he can hit big)
Rana (I'd bring him in earlier too if spinners are causing trouble. Should be told that he is seen as a valuable player in the side)
Russell (give him more tactical instructions, he needs to realize that he has to bat for longer periods than he does)
Morgan (let him come in and just slog for now given the form he is in)
Karthik (last five overs miracle man)
Nagarkoti/Mavi (whichever one turns up on the day)
Ferguson
Chakravarthy
Krishna/Kuldeep (depending on the pitch. Kuldeep probably isn't getting a game in his current malaise though)

Cummins being dropped is the big surprise obviously. If you still wanted to play him, one of the spin all-rounders in Shakib/Narine get dropped with Gurkeerat playing at three. Or else the unthinkable happens, Morgan steps down and Cummins plays as the number seven. Extremely risky move IMO.

ShamiLoverGlipGlops

The Man With The Glip Glops
India
NZ....
AFG...
KKR
Avengers
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - PS3
  2. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Steam PC
  3. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Xbox One
Need to bring in Kuldeep, Shakib and Karun Nair. Time to drop DK. Also Rahul needs to open the innings. Another season of ifs and buts! I see us ending in the last place.

abbhishek kumar

School Cricketer
Money is just a by product of demand and supply in IPL.
What you are saying is true but then how does virat Kolhi get 17crores and the number one t20batsmen in the world (dawidmalan),get his base price.
Post automatically merged:

Money is just a by product of demand and supply in IPL.
What you are saying is true but then how does virat Kolhi get 17crores and the number one t20batsmen in the world (dawidmalan),get his base price.
Parth d any thoughts on who is best equipped to win this years ipl

mohsin7827

International Coach
India
CSK
Birmingham Phoenix
X Rebels
My ideal Kolkata XI would have Ferguson in at first. Most Indian batsmen aren't used to the searing pace that he can bowl and he has a very good bouncer that can catch anyone off-guard. I remember him hurrying Dhawan once in a T20I, completely shellacking him. Imagine what he could do to other domestic batsmen. The only reason he isn't playing is because he happens to be from the island besides Australia and not from it alongside him not being the marquee auction purchase. It is disappointing because this is the same side that did drop Kuldeep despite the latter being an international player who was running rings around world-class batsman not so long ago.

Russell is an obvious fix. I don't rate Narine's bowling much, it feels like he is always just a couple of matches away from being completely smashed. Unless he picks wickets which he did in the past, he will always be going for the above average spinner's economy at best. But, he has shown that he can bat, albeit not consistently. And as Kimber mentioned, he is the sort of guy who keeps reinventing himself to survive in this day and age. Most other mystery spinners have long gone while he still clings on.

Morgan is the real oddity. It looked like he finally cracked the IPL code last season with more than 400 runs but is back to his messy self now. I still don't think four suits him, five and above is where he shines. And Kolkata already have DK who prefers batting late and Russell who usually bats late. And he is the captain on top of that. If it weren't for that a franchise would have dropped him but I suppose he will have to be in for that very reason. Changing captains again mid-season is silly. See out this season with him and if he doesn't improve, you can always hit the inevitable reset button with Gill at the helm.

And this is why I believe Kolkata need Shakib in the top order. He prefers batting there, he has shown that he can bat if given time. T20 has never been a strong suit of his in terms of batting but there is a good batsman in him that can be coaxed out if backed. His bowling isn't much different from Narine, he is indeed more likely to be attacked but you do get a much more tactically beneficial style of batting from Shakib.

Rana as an opener feels odd to me when you've got Tripathi already. He did start the season strongly but if it were up to me he would be where he can smash spinners the best rather than open.

Tripathi (powerplay hitter, basically there to get you a quick twenty if possible, anything more which he usually does get is a good bonus)
Gill (bats through the powerplay, keeps things going at a steady rate above 130)
Shakib (yet again, his role to keep the tide rolling until he can hit big)
Rana (I'd bring him in earlier too if spinners are causing trouble. Should be told that he is seen as a valuable player in the side)
Russell (give him more tactical instructions, he needs to realize that he has to bat for longer periods than he does)
Morgan (let him come in and just slog for now given the form he is in)
Karthik (last five overs miracle man)
Nagarkoti/Mavi (whichever one turns up on the day)
Ferguson
Chakravarthy
Krishna/Kuldeep (depending on the pitch. Kuldeep probably isn't getting a game in his current malaise though)

Cummins being dropped is the big surprise obviously. If you still wanted to play him, one of the spin all-rounders in Shakib/Narine get dropped with Gurkeerat playing at three. Or else the unthinkable happens, Morgan steps down and Cummins plays as the number seven. Extremely risky move IMO.
Like it but I doubt Gill can do that, for how many matches he is wasting powerplay would have him at one down

Also the bowling unit is not come together yet
Where as other teams has some role defined specialy RCB. Cummins can bowl only 2 best over in the match and go out and out number 7 like the other match

abbhishek kumar

School Cricketer
Like it but I doubt Gill can do that, for how many matches he is wasting powerplay would have him at one down

Also the bowling unit is not come together yet
Where as other teams has some role defined specialy RCB. Cummins can bowl only 2 best over in the match and go out and out number 7 like the other match
Who do you think will make the playoffs My four teams are RCB Chennai, Delhi and Hyderbad.
Post automatically merged:

Who do you think will make the playoffs My four teams are RCB Chennai, Delhi and Hyderbad.
Hyderbad or Mumbai will be the 4th team in my opinion.

AliB

ICC President
India
AFG...
Mumbai Indians
Adelaide Strikers
X Rebels
I'm expecting Pant to play his usual 15(21) innings today. Always defensive, and sometimes a complete lack of intent.
If Pant scores at SR of 150, then will you stop posting on the forum?

Users who are viewing this thread