Indian Premier League - General Discussion

It's amazing how 'big names' can scar franchises. Rahane batted through and couldn't finish off a 150 chase. He didn't get out and RR didn't get bowled out. This proves that he simply isn't fit enough to play T20.

I also want to look at Kohli's numbers as captain in the IPL. Can anyone throw some light on it?

Indian Captains W/L record- (Min 50 games)

Dhoni 59%
Gambhir 55.5%
Rohit 58%
Tendulkar 59%
Sehwag 54%

Kohli 47.5%

Warne has a 55% win ratio and Gilchrist is almost neck and neck with Kohli with far lesser teams.

Anyone that boasts of Kohli's international record as captain should take a look at this. 11 years with a franchise, 8 of them as captain and the results are dire. Apart from AB de Villiers, who let's face it would be the face of any franchise he plays for alongside the top Indian superstar is the only one other person one can truly say Kohli has persisted with.

There have been 8 auctions during Kohli's tenure with 3 mega auctions. His selections have been laughable to say the very least and his choices at auctions mind numbing!

Last edited:
Indian Captains W/L record- (Min 50 games)

Dhoni 59%
Gambhir 55.5%
Rohit 58%
Tendulkar 59%
Sehwag 54%

Kohli 47.5%

Warne has a 55% win ratio and Gilchrist is almost neck and neck with Kohli with far lesser teams.

Anyone that boasts of Kohli's international record as captain should take a look at this. 11 years with a franchise, 8 of them as captain and the results are dire. Apart from AB de Villiers, who let's face it would be the face of any franchise he plays for alongside the top Indian superstar is the only one other person one can truly say Kohli has persisted with.

There have been 8 auctions during Kohli's tenure with 3 mega auctions. His selections have been laughable to say the very least and his choices at auctions mind numbing!
To be honest you seem to go a little to hard for anything that does not happen your way. A captain is only as good as his team is the saying and yes while I do agree Kohli's captaincy is not as great as his other counter parts playing in the IPL but hey none of the captains have done well except Dhoni and Williamson. Also their captaincy is not marred by judgy statements because they are topping the chart.

Also Kohli as a batsman and a player in playing XI has done fantastically as he averages 33 which is more then enough in T20's. Now Kohli has captained RCB in 70 matches out which RCB have won 35 and lost 30. Also Kohli is not the one who decides what RCB builds as a franchise, its the coach and management. Kohli with his international commitment has never taken a step forward to dictate what he wants and this is only my guess. I have seen Gambhir and others in Auction even when they are just the captains. So blame the management and not Kohli for poor vision. RCB once visioned KP to be the captain when Kohli was still there so think about that.

To be honest you seem to go a little to hard for anything that does not happen your way. A captain is only as good as his team is the saying and yes while I do agree Kohli's captaincy is not as great as his other counter parts playing in the IPL but hey none of the captains have done well except Dhoni and Williamson. Also their captaincy is not marred by judgy statements because they are topping the chart.

Also Kohli as a batsman and a player in playing XI has done fantastically as he averages 33 which is more then enough in T20's. Now Kohli has captained RCB in 70 matches out which RCB have won 35 and lost 30. Also Kohli is not the one who decides what RCB builds as a franchise, its the coach and management. Kohli with his international commitment has never taken a step forward to dictate what he wants and this is only my guess. I have seen Gambhir and others in Auction even when they are just the captains. So blame the management and not Kohli for poor vision. RCB once visioned KP to be the captain when Kohli was still there so think about that.

Please don't pass judgements on personality. I don't know you and vice versa.

On the cricket stuff, let us put aside Williamson here because it's cricketing sense to believe that he does indeed have a very well balanced side. Yes, the batting is shaky but right from the day of the auctions everyone felt that SRH was a good bunch. When the auctions were done and the IPL had not begun, who would you say were a more established and well rounded bowling attack? Chahar/Siraj? Umesh/Shardul? Woakes/Watson? Wood/Southee? Chahal/Karn? Sundar/Harbhajan? Negi/Jadeja?

In most cases, you'd say that Bangalore had a much more experienced and rounded off attack. Yet, somehow, miraculously CSK are right there and RCB are right there. I have not once said a word about Kohli's batting. I'm an AB worshipper and have no problems admitting Kohli is the better batsman overall.

Your point on auctions? Kohli has had a huge say on the players that get picked. Every captain tells his franchise what they want and if you believe Kohli doesn't then he should really not be a captain in the first place. Dhoni and co. also had international commitments while leading in the IPL, so these are laundry washing excuses and nothing more.

The problem with Kohli is his attitude. No, I don't mean the expletives used by him on field. He simply has no grasp of the psychology of any young/foreign cricketer. Everyone cannot be a Kohli or de Villiers. His IPL sides are littered with chops and changes for no rhyme or reason. It's lack of vision, understanding of his players that has left RCB in the tatters it is today. Manan Vohra is an opener and played one game at that spot. He was then dropped after a poor innings and then re included as a middle order batsman.. Is there no sensitivity to what a 23-24 year old young insecure Indian aspiring cricketer goes through? It's the job of the captain to harbour such thoughts for his players. That's what makes a great leader.. less said about his tactical prowess the better. In his head, Corey Anderson was Wasim Akram. It's just one big fat joke. I had me a nice chuckle when you mentioned the management being responsible.. A responsible Indian cricketer once tried to have a management in place to assist players and he was replaced by a bodyguard.. So let's please not tread waters that are too shallow to dive into.

As for me throwing my toys out of the pram when things don't go my way? I have lost a lot in people I support in sport to understand how precious wins are. Sometimes, those I support have never won ever and that's life.. but you try 110% at all times. That is unpardonable. I just don't see that vision in Virat Kohli the captain.

Tight game coming up today, Chennai vs Delhi! Delhi had a massive resurgence in their last game after a mid-tournament captaincy swap and the new captain comes off with flying colors in the last game. Biggest total of the IPL season and thrashing a good team like KKR, must give Delhi and its fans goosebumps and all the energy. And Chennai are coming off a deflating loss to Mumbai and also losing their best Indian bowler to injury and also most importantly, a lot of doubts around what combination to pick for their newly adopted home ground. Chennai went into the auction and picked a squad for Chepauk ground but now are forced to revise because Pune is not anywhere close to Chepauk and the seam friendly nature is not in sync with CSK's plans

I hope CSK do not get into a rut here with a few losses because I can clearly see them get there with the kind of bowling they have. I am inclined to put my brain (all of it) of Delhi today (gives me the luxury of feeling elated when Chennai wins). If Maxwell fires, CSK will be in huge trouble. I think this is a game where an in-form player like Rayudu should bat in the middle overs. On a pitch where forcing the pace is not at all easy, Rayudu needs to bat at a phase where the game is decided. My XI for CSK is this (4 changes; though unlikely CSK will make that many):

M Vijay
S Watson
S Raina
A Rayudu
M Dhoni
D Willey
D Bravo
R Jadeja
H Singh
M Kumar
L Ngidi

Two spinners should be enough in Pune. Since Jadeja is not droppable, he stays (hope he gets a bowl). If needed, Raina can turn him arm over for some spin overs and he can be very useful. Monu Kumar (that Jharkhand guy) seems a Joginder Sharma type bowler and since Willey/Ngidi have the pace, Kumar can be skiddy and take pace off. We had Joginder and Mohit do that job for CSK well in past seasons. Maybe we can try Monu this time. Watson can play as a pure batsman this way and bowl if needed.

Tight game coming up today, Chennai vs Delhi! Delhi had a massive resurgence in their last game after a mid-tournament captaincy swap and the new captain comes off with flying colors in the last game. Biggest total of the IPL season and thrashing a good team like KKR, must give Delhi and its fans goosebumps and all the energy. And Chennai are coming off a deflating loss to Mumbai and also losing their best Indian bowler to injury and also most importantly, a lot of doubts around what combination to pick for their newly adopted home ground. Chennai went into the auction and picked a squad for Chepauk ground but now are forced to revise because Pune is not anywhere close to Chepauk and the seam friendly nature is not in sync with CSK's plans

I hope CSK do not get into a rut here with a few losses because I can clearly see them get there with the kind of bowling they have. I am inclined to put my brain (all of it) of Delhi today (gives me the luxury of feeling elated when Chennai wins). If Maxwell fires, CSK will be in huge trouble. I think this is a game where an in-form player like Rayudu should bat in the middle overs. On a pitch where forcing the pace is not at all easy, Rayudu needs to bat at a phase where the game is decided. My XI for CSK is this (4 changes; though unlikely CSK will make that many):

M Vijay
S Watson
S Raina
A Rayudu
M Dhoni
D Willey
D Bravo
R Jadeja
H Singh
M Kumar
L Ngidi

Two spinners should be enough in Pune. Since Jadeja is not droppable, he stays (hope he gets a bowl). If needed, Raina can turn him arm over for some spin overs and he can be very useful. Monu Kumar (that Jharkhand guy) seems a Joginder Sharma type bowler and since Willey/Ngidi have the pace, Kumar can be skiddy and take pace off. We had Joginder and Mohit do that job for CSK well in past seasons. Maybe we can try Monu this time. Watson can play as a pure batsman this way and bowl if needed.
Lungi Ngidi is not even playing IPL because of death of his father. You can have Mark Wood[DOUBLEPOST=1525095527][/DOUBLEPOST]Life is like IPL 2018. Whom we may consider underdogs can beat the best.

Wow. CSK have indeed made 4 changes! Never believed they would do that. But they continue to keep David Willey out of the team :facepalm:mad

Lungi Ngidi gets his debut IPL game! Faf, Karn Sharma and KM Asif in. KM Asif also gets his debut IPL game. I believe Billings, Tahir and Chahar are out from the previous game. Oh, Shardul Thakur is out too!!! Good changes!!! I think CSK is coming to terms with the Pune wicket. They still have 3 spinners which to me is a luxury (it will mean Jadeja wont get much of a bowl as usual) but the seam options have improved.

Lungi Ngidi is not even playing IPL because of death of his father. You can have Mark Wood[DOUBLEPOST=1525095527][/DOUBLEPOST]Life is like IPL 2018. Whom we may consider underdogs can beat the best.

Ngidi is back in India for the IPL! He went back for the death of his father, but he has returned to India. He is making his IPL debut today.

Last edited:
Too much of pace given to Watson. In this age of technology, Delhi did not learn from what RCB and MI did to Watson in the previous two games? They gave only one over to a spinner in the Powerplay (Tewatia) and that too a leggie. Maxwell or Mishra could have bowled an over there in the Powerplay.

Great acceleration from Watto! With Watto-Faf giving a strong start, hope CSK can go on for a huge total unlike what they achieved against MI.

This Dhoni was missed. He is a beast and he should continue batting this way. Probably less pressure playing in yellows to blues? I just hope he continues his this touch till 2019 wc. I so wish the WC was this year just to get Dhoni the continuation.

I know we are just halfway through the tournament with CSK playing its 7th game, but I say this with my hand on the wood.... DHONI HAS BEEN BRILLIANT in this tournament so far! He has looked really different and has changed something in his game that is enabling him to get those big hits going. And he is doing all this while returning to captaincy for a team that were out of the IPL for 2 years and come back into the IPL with a lot of emotional baggage.

Another superb innings from Rayudu! Boy he is in superlative form. He scores everywhere. He might even score if he bats No. 11 (I hope CSK never needs its No. 11 this season). Faf was slow, but he gave Watson the much needed backing and those two set a strong foundation. Even with Delhi's big hitters, this target should be a steep ask. Hope CSK can repeat the victory they had against Rajasthan at this same venue, this season.

Well said but Idiots don't change.

On the thing about players using expletives. People who are blaming Kohli should take a look at any school place or streets or any location where you can find youth you will see it's a norm to drop an expletive in a conversation. It's the change in the generation what we are seeing on the TV.

Great debut for Lungi Ngidi in IPL! Has he solved Chennai's fast bowling woes? Hope so! It's a big thing when a MSD says "I have been very impressed by him since the South Africa tour". The pace and bounce he generated and troubled a top T20 player like Munro in that first over, was fantastic. Unlike Mark Wood, Ngidi bowled great lines and reaped rewards.

KM Asif was OK (he took 2 massive wickets) but was expensive. But he has good pace (consistently 140+). Bravo has been horrible in the last few games. Way too many runs being leaked. He is too big a player to be dropped but maybe they could rest him and give Willey a go (an allrounder for allrounder swap). Faf was good though he was slow. I dont think he needs a drop. And Rayudu is better off in the middle order with the form he is in. He gives the middle order stability. If Faf and Watson can open the innings consistently like that, no need to change.

Apparently MSD is having back pains but will continue to play according to post match comments put up by cricbuzz.

Hope he doesn't injure it too much. Still few games left in ipl right now

There is something about Dhoni in this IPL that says, "enough is enough". I think he has gotten fed up with all the talk of him being a "spent force" and is hell bent on proving his critics wrong. Even his post match interviews have been nothing but that. I haven't watched his batting much but I wonder if he somehow has managed to overcome his shortcomings. If I'm not wrong, bowling away from his body was something that troubled him in the past.

It augurs well for the Indian team though with the WC coming up soon. It almost feels like he has rolled back in time.

Users who are viewing this thread