Interactive Replay "Sneak Peek"- Don Bradman Cricket 14

No. The wicket is "broken" in all circumstances when 1 bail is off. In the event of overthrows etc, if one bail remains then the wicket can be broken again by removing that. If both are off, it can be broken again by having no stump left in.

If you don't have a wicket by then, you're right out of luck. :-)

Kind of mislead by the commentary on TV. On replays they used to say "Remember both bails must be completely dislodged, OFF the grove for the batsman to be out".

Anyway thanks for the clarification.

Kind of mislead by the commentary on TV. On replays they used to say "Remember both bails must be completely dislodged, OFF the grove for the batsman to be out".

I'd say that was *totally* misled to be honest! That's how I've always understood the rule: depending on whose commentary it was maybe I'll go make sure though\!

in his first test innings, basil d'oliveira was run out at the non-striker's end when the batter hit the ball straight and into the wickets at his end when he was outside the crease. it wasn't touched by any fielder, so he wasn't out at that point but having never been properly coached in south africa, he thought he was out.

the bowler, wes hall i think, removed picked up the ball and removed one of the stumps with the hand holding the ball, effecting a "proper" run out. one of the weirdest dismissals ever in test cricket.

which is a long way of me asking Chief if the laws have changed, because of his comment:

If both are off, it can be broken again by having no stump left in.

because certainly then it wasn't a case of having no stump in but of having any stump removed by a fielder providing he was holding the ball in the same hand...

----------

i am pretty sure it is only one bail dislodged.

Heavy bails needs to be one of those anti-piracy things.

Only when bowling. When batting they must be the feather-light kind that keep falling off with minor wind and hold the game up.

----------

Also if say there have been overthrows and a fielder/keeper has time, they can put the bails back onto the stumps and then the batsman can be runout in the normal way. Otherwise, they have to either pull a stump out with ball in hand or throw a ball at the stump hard enough such that the stump is taken out of the ground. The latter is obviously quite hard these days given they are pretty firmly inserted into the ground.

That was Ravi Shastri. He has said it more than once for me to remember this well.

And as for the hall run out...you can remove them one by one. If all three are down and you want to get the batsman out, you need to plant the stump in and take it out.

I've always wanted to know if you can replace the bails if the ball hits the stumps and goes for over-throws to give the chance of a direct hit from the fielding rather than having to remove the stump.
Almost certainly not...

No. The wicket is "broken" in all circumstances when 1 bail is off. In the event of overthrows etc, if one bail remains then the wicket can be broken again by removing that. If both are off, it can be broken again by having no stump left in.

If you don't have a wicket by then, you're right out of luck. :-)

Only when bowling. When batting they must be the feather-light kind that keep falling off with minor wind and hold the game up.

----------

Also if say there have been overthrows and a fielder/keeper has time, they can put the bails back onto the stumps and then the batsman can be runout in the normal way. Otherwise, they have to either pull a stump out with ball in hand or throw a ball at the stump hard enough such that the stump is taken out of the ground. The latter is obviously quite hard these days given they are pretty firmly inserted into the ground.

I've always wanted to know if you can replace the bails if the ball hits the stumps and goes for over-throws to give the chance of a direct hit from the fielding rather than having to remove the stump.
Almost certainly not...

I remember watching a domestic game where the bowler flattened all three stumps while diving and trying to collect an errant throw. When the bowler got up with the ball in his hand he saw both batsmen stranded at the striker/wk end but with all the three stumps flattened at his end. The bowler then proceeded to put one stump back in place and then took it out with the ball touching the stumps. Confusion reigned for a couple of mins but the batsman was given run-out! I never knew you could replace stumps/bails once they are down but apparently you can.

It really should be enough to do the motion of hitting where the stumps were or whether the bails would have fallen and have the umpire's judgement and common sense decide instead of having to put a stump in the ground just to knock it down again.

Put a sensor in the ground where the stumps go if you need to be high tech about it.

In cricket games - Super International Cricket has the stumps crumble to the ground when they are hit, so it just replays the animation with the stumps still on the ground - along with an appeal.

I can't think of many others that actually deal with the situation, Ashes 09 seemed to just move on to the next ball, and I don't remember it happening in the EA games.

i guess in 99.99% of cases, the bails and stumps wouldn't be broken already without the fielding team erroring, so the need to reinstate the stumps i guess is to discourage frivolous throwing at the stumps/breaking the stumps.

in video games, i guess it must be seriously rare!

Law 28.3

If the wicket is broken or put down while the ball is in play, the umpire shall not remake the wicket until the ball is dead. Any fielder, however, may
  1. replace a bail or bails on top of the stumps.
  2. put back one or more stumps into the ground where the wicket originally stood.

Wow just wow. Been pretty irregular lately. But this is a sheer treat seeing the 360 Instant Replay being implemented in a cricket game. BTW why does it seems that the ball got stuck in the fielders palm, without him gripping it at the very beginning?

Why is the replay system such a big deal? wasn't it in all the EA games...

Users who are viewing this thread