Ireland vs England (ODI)

Haarithan

Chairman of Selectors
Nice last two overs to cherish for an England supporter in an otherwise second best performance to Ireland. Boy, their fielding looks absolute gun! Trott played like Trott, while Morgan showed why he's England's best limited overs batsmen of recent in his sublime knock of 59. Will be interesting as to how England's bowlers go about, I'm most keen on Borthwick, since this pitch's played pretty slow until now.

Sureshot

Executive member
Online Cricket Games Owned
Agreed on Bopara, poor shot, really. But taken a catch now, Finn gets Stirling, rain is calling in yet again by the looks of it.

Just need to continually take wickets, don't let Ireland settle.

MUFC1987

Panel of Selectors
Finn just looks quality when he hits his areas.

----------

What's with all the music choices in the ground too? It's like it's still 1999 in Ireland or something. :p

Sureshot

Executive member
It's awful isn't it? :D

Finn has been very impressive so far. Who knows what the game will be like when/if they get back on. Looks like this could go on for quite a while. No doubt if it gets rained off people will say "rain saves England!!111!!!111!!!"

We have to play by 17:34. So the rain needs to stop in the next 20-30 minutes, problem is it's so heavy as well. I think the game could well be abandoned, in which case. What can England take from this?

Batting was disappointing, but it is one game. Some okayish hitting from Woakes/Borthwick, but anything else? Trott not looking that great, do we want him and Cook against India? Given the Indian attack doesn't look great (I think this Irish attack could push them tbh) I would stick with Trott. Neither Stokes or Taylor did much, but again, it's one game.

Bowling, Finn looks good. Woakes was okay, but not as good as Finn.

Not really found out much I don't think. I like the idea of Finn in the side against India though...but Dernbach probably just about keeps his place after the series against Sri Lanka.

Sureshot

Executive member
I'm eating my words. Game is on, going to be tight, all down to Kevin O'Brien by the looks of it. Not like he's never done it before :p

Nice slower ball from Ravi in his last over.

cricket_icon

International Cricketer
This game has really been disappointing. None of the new guys really took their opportunities. What was Stokes doing??
Finn has looked good throughout the game and I hope he gets a call back to the ODI team and the Test squad.

Sureshot

Executive member
Yep, Dernbach was superb in those death overs. Although he went for 13, I quite liked Borthwick there, bit hard to judge from one over though!

Haarithan

Chairman of Selectors
Can't overlook Bopara there, was awesome with the ball too. He's been a pretty handy bowler in the ODIs for quite sometime now - performances against WI in the WC & against Bang in the 3rd ODI of last year's Natwest Series striking my mind.

As for Borthwick, definitely harsh to judge him with just that single over of his, especially given he was bowling to none other than Mr.KOB. :p

cricket_icon

International Cricketer
Dernbach has done a little to get into my good books but I still don't rate him that highly. He looked good against a pretty ordinary batting line up on a pitch where batsmen couldn't get going.

ferg512

International Coach
Yeah I'll have to wait and see how Dernbach does against India, thats assuming he will play. Still really overdoes the slower ball which is a pet peeve of mine.

Disappointing Ireland couldn't get the win, when are these games never rain affected?? That could be another problem for Ireland in regards to test status.

Papa_Smurf

International Cricketer
Mhmm, was expecting a better contribution from Taylor, really. Is he in the squad against England?

angryangy

ICC Chairman
^^^yes those slower balls, especially the slower ball bouncers really piss me off.
They can be assets if the bowler uses them like a proper cricketer. I've seen the slow bouncer work in a Test match. However, "mixing it up" just isn't clever bowling. It might seem like the ultimate unpredictable plan, but there's nothing worse than a batsman who knows you don't know how to get him out.

Users who are viewing this thread