Is Ricky Ponting Australia's best batsman after Don Bradman?

calebelfc

School Cricketer
Online Cricket Games Owned
Do you think Rick Ponting is the best Australian batsman after Bradman?

If not who would it be?

Batting wise I'd agree. Shades it over Border, Chappell and Hayden for me. As a player, more so captain, I'm shocked that he's still in charge. For an Aussie to lose 2 Ashes Series in England and still be captain bemuses me. It really does. But in answer to your question, yes, he's the 2nd greatest Aussie batsmen of all time. Not a good captain though.

Last edited:

Themer

Chairman of Selectors
Just to add to my point. Ponting averages (with Zimbabwe and Bangladesh removed) 53.91 compared to Chappell's average of 53.86.

Ponting's had the advantage of playing on wickets which nowadays are flatter while Chappell played on pitches that had an extra bit of spice. He also managed to average 56 against the West Indies which at the time was a stunning achievement.

So for me Chappell.

sifter132

Panel of Selectors
Well I think if Ricky had have retired 3 years ago, then no one would have argued the point at all. His recent performances are tarnishing his record a bit, because from probably 1999-2007 he dominated the game:
All-round records | Test matches | Cricinfo Statsguru | Cricinfo.com

So he averaged 65 over those 8 years and 79 Tests, where he really only failed (famously) on the India tours while in England he was merely average, but every else and against everyone else he was stellar.

I think that's the difference for me, Ricky really peaked well whereas Greg Chappell was more consistent. Also, I'd be wary about tarring Ponting's record with the flat pitches argument. The 70s was a pretty good time to bat too, particularly for Chappell since he didn't have to face Lillee and Thomson and none of the other great bowlers: Marshall, Hadlee, Imran, Wasim had hit their stride yet. Although Holding was pretty good...

Anyway, if I were doing a quick non-Bradman ranking I'd go:
1 Ponting
2 Border
3 S.Waugh
4 G.Chappell
5 Harvey
6 Hayden

AkshayS

Chairman of Selectors
IMO, he is, he has a great record as captain too but his recent form(captaincy+batting) hasn't been too great but overall he is best after Bradman.

sifter132

Panel of Selectors
that would make hayden the de facto greatest opener for australia?

not trumper, morris or ponsford?

Hmm possibly yeah. Actually, I was thinking the question was relating to players after Bradman's times, but I see now that it's any Aussie other than Bradman, so I didn't even think of including those guys.

But anyway, I find it really hard to stick up for Trumper. He played so long ago, his stats are kinda dwarved by a guy like Jack Hobbs (tough comparison though I'll admit) and we are basically left holding onto romantic stories of his exploits. He was probably awesome, but generally I think people that pick him in their all-time XIs are just trying to look smart and well read :p

And it's kinda similar for Morris and Ponsford. I hear they played some wonderful knocks, but were they really better than a Langer or Taylor or even Lawry? Pretty hard to say...

War

Chairman of Selectors
Well I think if Ricky had have retired 3 years ago, then no one would have argued the point at all. His recent performances are tarnishing his record a bit, because from probably 1999-2007 he dominated the game:
All-round records | Test matches | Cricinfo Statsguru | Cricinfo.com

So he averaged 65 over those 8 years and 79 Tests, where he really only failed (famously) on the India tours while in England he was merely average, but every else and against everyone else he was stellar.

I think that's the difference for me, Ricky really peaked well whereas Greg Chappell was more consistent. Also, I'd be wary about tarring Ponting's record with the flat pitches argument. The 70s was a pretty good time to bat too, particularly for Chappell since he didn't have to face Lillee and Thomson and none of the other great bowlers: Marshall, Hadlee, Imran, Wasim had hit their stride yet. Although Holding was pretty good...

Anyway, if I were doing a quick non-Bradman ranking I'd go:
1 Ponting
2 Border
3 S.Waugh
4 G.Chappell
5 Harvey
6 Hayden

Nah my friend thats not right. THE 70s was full of quality bowling. Chappell definately best AUS bat after Bradman without a doubt.

Symptom_Control

School Cricketer
Id put Greg Chappell above Ponting
He played against Lillee quite a bit actually, in those days(especially in the 70s) international players played a lot of first class cricket in Australia and it was very very competitive.

sifter132

Panel of Selectors
Nah my friend thats not right. THE 70s was full of quality bowling. Chappell definately best AUS bat after Bradman without a doubt.

Here's some facts from Statguru...
The average of a top 6 player over Chappell's career span of 1970-1984 was 37.23
Batting records | Test matches | Cricinfo Statsguru | Cricinfo.com

The average of a top 6 player over Ponting's career span of 1995-2010 is 38.73 (a mere 4% higher than Chappell's career...)
Batting records | Test matches | Cricinfo Statsguru | Cricinfo.com

Here's a list of the best bowlers each would have faced (qualification: 100 wickets and average under 30):
Chappell: Bowling records | Test matches | Cricinfo Statsguru | Cricinfo.com
Ponting: Bowling records | Test matches | Cricinfo Statsguru | Cricinfo.com

So yes War there was some quality bowling in the 70s: the Windies barrage, Imran, Hadlee, Willis and Botham but looking at the list Ricky's had to face is not a bunch of pansies either and you have averages that are just as good as the guys on the Chappells list. And THAT is my point, everyone immediately disregards modern batsmen like Ponting as having flat pitches and lame attacks to deal with, but I think people exaggerate that advantage.

So I'll stick with my 1999-2007 Ponting over anyone else bar Bradman. I'm willing to argue that if you take his whole career (by adding 3 years at the front and the back) he's not quite as impressive, but I like Ricky's 8 years of dominance better than Chappell's 13 years of consistent class.

sami ullah khan

Panel of Selectors
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - PS3
He sure is the best Aussie batsman I have seen followed by Steve Waugh, Hayden and Damien Martyn. I remember Ponting hooking Ambrose for two or three sixes in a test in Australia. Ambrose was sharp back then. That really made him stand out for me.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread