JJ3 .v. M_Vaughan's World Cup Predictions

JJ3's Current Scoreline: Correct 22-15 Incorrect

Todays games:

England .v. Ecuador

Ecuador have impressed me a lot during the tournament. In their last game they rested 5 key players and lost to Germany, who knows what could have happened at full strength. However, England are a team that will grind out results even when not on top form. I expect a comfortable win for the English. Mayb e the odd scare along the way.

JJ3's Prediction: England 2-0 Ecuador

Portugal .v. Netherlands

Ihave been saying since the start I think Holland's inexperienced team will cost them at some point. I predict this being that point, resulting in an early exit from the tournament. Portugal are an underrated team, and are more than capable of winning the competition. They will bring back all the players who were on a yellow for this one, including Deco and Cristiano Ronaldo.

JJ3's Prediction: Portugal 2-1 Netherlands

JJ3's Current Scoreline:

Correct 24-15 Incorrect

Tomorrow:

Italy .v. Australia

Australia will give the Italians a fight for sure. But whether they are strong enough to beat the Italians is a big question mark.

JJ3's Prediction: Italy 3-1 Australia

Switzerland .v. Ukraine

An interesting fixture this one. Both will have their eyes set on a quater final game against the winner of Australia versus Italy, and what an achievement that would be for either. Switzerland haven't convinced me, despite beating Korea 2-0. Ukraine on the other hand have shown enough to suggest they are a quality team, and as I keep saying, the most underrated team for me in the tournament.

JJ3's Prediction: Switzerland 1-2 Ukraine

1 correct and 1 incorrect in the previous two games. Bad luck for the Netherlands, as I thought it was unfair on them to get a opposition like Portugal in the second round. But big Phil seems to be on course to become the first manager to win the World Cup with two teams. Long way to go though, yet.

Prediction Ratio: 20/35
Success Rate: 57.14%

Tomorrow's Games:

Italy 1-0 Australia- Although on paper the Azzuri seem too strong for the Aussies, Guus Hiddink's side has already shown they are capable of competing with the bigger teams. I hence expect a close game and highly charged one, with the Italians going through to the QFs in the end.

Switzerland 0-2 Ukraine- I think Ukraine have a lot more attacking options than Switzerland, which should be the difference between the two sides in the end. However it must be noted that the Swiss have yet to concede a goal in this tournament.

I just realised that the Italians have a fairly simple passage to the semi-finals.

JJ3's Current Scoreline:

Correct 26-15 Incorrect

Two results both right, only just though!

Tomorrow:

Ghana .v. Brazil

Brazil finally came out of their shell in the last game and put on a real performance. Can they continue this run against a Ghana side without their star Michael Essien? Ghana will fight hard in my opinion but wont be able to stop Brazil as they pick up an uncomfortable victory

JJ3's Prediction: Ghana 1-2 Brazil

Spain .v. France

France are playing like a team of individuals at the moment, and although this one is lined up to be a cracking match, I think Spain should take the victory. Two years ago France would have been favourites, but a lot has happened since then, including Spain's impressive start to this world cup.

JJ3's Prediction: Spain 2-1 France

Switzerland vs Ukraine ended in 0-0. Not sure if you can count as result. Unless you guys count victories.

I also think Brazil will progress, but the other match is too unpredictable.

m_vaughan said:
Well the EPL might be the best league in the world, but Spain is where the best players play. And to shine for a mediocre club like Athletico when there are bigger clubs in the league, is a great achievement for Fernando Torres. I suggest you have a look at his goals over past few seasons and then comment. I agree he has a lot of time in his side, but what he has achieved in such a short period is nothing short of amazing.

Anyways coming back to the WC, I think this would by best XI based on performances so far.

Hislop

Ayala
Pablo
Marquez
Sorin

Robben
Frings
Rosicky
Figo

Torres
Wanchope
What about kewell and lucas neill?

i know im an aussie football tragic but they have been extraordinary this wc

rickyp said:
What about kewell and lucas neill?

i know im an aussie football tragic but they have been extraordinary this wc
That was after the first round of matches. The only Aussie who impressed then was Tim Cahill.

ZexyZahid said:
Switzerland vs Ukraine ended in 0-0. Not sure if you can count as result. Unless you guys count victories.

I also think Brazil will progress, but the other match is too unpredictable.
I dont, but JJ3 is only concerned with the end result.

Since I had given Ukraine a victory in normal time, I will count it as an incorrect prediction.

Prediction Ratio: 21/37
Success Rate: 56.76%

Today's Games:
Brazil 4-1 Ghana: Expect the Brazilians to ease through in the end, although at half time it might be even stevens, or Ghana might even take the lead. Poor luck for Ghana anyways to have qualified to the Round of 16 only to be paired against the world's best team.

Spain 2-2 France (Spain to win on penalties): I think it will be a close game once again, as there is very little to choose between these two top teams. France had to battle their way to the knockout stage, but on their day they are capable of beating anyone and everyone. As a Spain supporter, I hope today is not one such day.

JamesyJames3 said:
JJ3's Current Scoreline:

Correct 26-15 Incorrect

Two results both right, only just though!

Tomorrow:

Ghana .v. Brazil

Brazil finally came out of their shell in the last game and put on a real performance. Can they continue this run against a Ghana side without their star Michael Essien? Ghana will fight hard in my opinion but wont be able to stop Brazil as they pick up an uncomfortable victory

JJ3's Prediction: Ghana 1-2 Brazil

Spain .v. France

France are playing like a team of individuals at the moment, and although this one is lined up to be a cracking match, I think Spain should take the victory. Two years ago France would have been favourites, but a lot has happened since then, including Spain's impressive start to this world cup.

JJ3's Prediction: Spain 2-1 France
I'll be tipping Spain as well, but an interesting fact to note is that France has never lost to Spain in a competitive match before!
I was quite shocked to hear it this afternoon.

Radaga said:
I'll be tipping Spain as well, but an interesting fact to note is that France has never lost to Spain in a competitive match before!
I was quite shocked to hear it this afternoon.
Thats correct. The last competitive match was the Euro 2000 QFs, where Raul missed a second half penalty, which would have taken the game into extra time. France winning in the end 2-1.

Spain did beat a full strength French team 3-0 in a friendly after that.

Well, I am socked that France won, I really am.

JJ3's Current Scoreline:

Correct 27-16 Incorrect

Quater Finals:

Germany .v. Argentina

Lined up to be a quality match and I am not sure who will be favourites. Argentina would normally, but with Germany playing so well, and with home support, its a tough one to call. However, I am going to go with Argentina's flair and slick passing to overcome the German and their fine support!!

JJ3's Prediction: Germany 2-3 Argentina

England .v. Portugal

The re-match of Euro 2004. In that game, England dominated the match and were robbed of a definate goal. The Premiership stars will put this behind them for me in this one and come out comfortable victors. Portugal will definately miss Costinha in the middle of the park, let alone Deco. Ronaldo is 50/50 at the moment, if he is missing, Portugal could really struggle.

JJ3's Prediction: England 2-0 Portugal

Ukraine .v. Italy

This is where the potential upset of the quater-finals could occur for me. Ukraine have played brilliantly since that first game against Spain, they put that defeat well and truely behind them. Shevchenko will be desperate to put one over on many of his friends, and with Italy rushing Nesta back to fitness to play, I am backing him to score. Although it has the possibility of an upset, I reckon Italy should just about dominate and gain an uncomfortable victory.

JJ3's Prediction: Ukraine 1-2 Italy

Brazil .v. France

Another firm test for the Brazilians. France played well against Spain but haven't impressed me in the other games. They play as a team of individuals and will need a big chunk of luck if they are to beat Brazil.

JJ3's Prediction: Brazil 3-2 France

Well, yet again I get one right and one wrong. And the wrong one hurts even more since my Spain are yet again out of the World Cup.

Anyways lets just look ahead now, shall we.

Prediction Ratio: 22/39
Success Rate: 56.41%

Quarterfinal predictions:

Germany 2-1 Argentina: I just cant wait for this game. Both teams look good, however the Germans seem to have that little bit extra. In Klose and Podolski they have an excellent strike pairing, and with Ballack taking shots from everywhere, I think the hosts will win this game, only just though.

England 0-2 Portugal: Even though Portuguese have two big names missing for this game, their squad is big enough and good enough to beat an England side that has been very disappointing in this World Cup so far.

Italy 1-0 Ukraine: Expect the Italians, to once again do just enough to get a win. Ukraine might push them hard, but cant see them causing an upset here. Watch out for Totti.

Brazil 1-2 France: Even though they havent been very convincing in the group stages, the French showed their true colours in the game against Spain. Although France dint outplay the Spanish in that game, they still did enough to get the win. Also I just got the feeling, that they might be peaking at the right time, although the same can be said about the Brazilians. The best of all the four QFs in my opinion, and one that France, I think will win.

If my predictions (of the tinky-tonky WC) are correct we would have the sem-finals lined up as:

Germany vs Italy
Portugal vs France

Prediction Ratio: 25/43
Success Rate: 58.14%

Note: I am not counting the Germany and Portugal victories as correct, as after Extra time, the scores were level, hence counting as drawn games.

Semi-finals:

Germany 2-1 Italy: Once again I expect the Germans, supported by the home fans to just do enough to beat the Italians. This is the first real test for Lippi's team, as they probably had the easiest route to the semis, in terms of the level of the opposition.

Portugal 0-1 France: The legend, Zinedine Zidane to score an absolute gem of a freekick to take his team to the final at Berlin. The man continues to amaze me with his touch and class, even at this age. Portugal were far from impressive in their win over England, and even though they have Deco and Costinha back, I am backing the French to win this game.

m_vaughan any Prrdictions on whcih two teams will play the final?

Users who are viewing this thread