JJ3 .v. M_Vaughan's World Cup Predictions

True, but his argument has substance in the fact that Holland are a relatively young unit under the youngest coach in the tournament, and how he communicates with his side will be tested in this clash. Having said that, I do agree that despite their inexperience, are a class team, and should be able to negate the threat of some of Ivory Coast's big guns and convert their own opportunities with the star midfielders and forwards at their disposal. You never know, though, because if Drogba is on-song with wide and central support, he's capable of alot, including match changing dives...

Last edited:
Argentina indeed did show their class, but who would have imagined that they'd put six past a team that had such a good defensive record in the qualifiers. Best performance in the World Cup so far, beating my team's 4-0 drubbing of Ukraine.

Feel sorry for the Serbians, but they simply werent good enough today.

So thats 2/4 for me with a 50% success rate.

Summary: Argentina 6-0 Serbia and Montenegro

Quality performance by Argentina but I feel Serbia felt from the off although they had no chance. Their heads were always down and they looked sloppy whenever they had the ball. Hardly had a chance at goal and were opened up by the Argentinians passing football which was sensational, especially for the second goal.

JJ3's Scoreline:

Correct 6-2 Incorrect

Another brave performance from Ivory Coast wasnt good enough, as they make their exit from the World Cup. Full credit to Netherlands though for continuing to attack, when most teams would simply shut up and defend the lead.

Again setups the Argentina v Netherlands game extremely well, and on current form I'd have to go with the South Americans. Although the Dutch are capable themselves.

I'd predicted a draw, so its now 2/5 for me with a success rate of 40%.

Summary: Holland 2-1 Ivory Coast

Got exactly what I expected from this fixture. Two teams going for the points. Ivory Coast just didn't give enough men forward for my liking. Superb goals once again in a contest Holland probably just edged, so credit to them.

JJ3's Scoreline:

Correct 6-3 Incorrect

I'm going out to the pub shortly so tomorrow's predictions are coming to yo slightly early:

Portugal .v. Iran

Portugal are a team to keep your eye on in this tournament, and you can expect to see them in the later stages. With the possible return of Deco, and with players such as Ronaldo, Simao and Paulete to gab the goals, I expect a comfortable victory.

JJ3's prediction: Portugal 3-0 Iran

Italy .v. USA

Probably the toughest group in the tournament and I expect the USA to put on more of a show than they did against the Czech's first time around. They will bomb balls towards McBride which will be a real test for the Italian defence. However, at the other end, the USA's slightly inexperienced defence could suffer at the hands of Serie A top scorer of last year. I expect Italy to win, but won't be a comfortable victory.

JJ3's Prediction: Italy 2-1 USA

Czech Republic .v. Ghana

The Czech's will be without their two main strikers for this one which could be a major problem. Ghana are a hard working team and this game could be a possible upset which would make the final games in this group all the more interesting. Watch out for Ghana's captain in the centre of the park, he will run his heart out for the full 90. Rosicky could be the key for the Czech's.

JJ3's Prediction: Czech 1-1 Ghana

JJ3's Scoreline:

Correct 6-4 Incorrect

Last edited:
Full credit to Angola, who despite being down to 10 men in the last 20 minutes, managed to get a point from this game. I thought the goalkeeper Joao Ricardo did extremely well, although most of the Mexican finishing was very sub-standard. We all know how good a team they are defensively, but upfront they seem to lack the punch required.

Anyways, another wrong one sees my predicition ratio drop to 2/6 with a poor success rate of 33.33%.

Tomorrow's Games:
Portugal 2-0 Iran. Well the Portuguese had to work hard to beat Angola in the first game. However I think they will play a lot better and with more ease in this game. It might not be a cruise, but I do expect them to get the three points without much hassle. Iran on the other hand were beaten by Mexico in the first game, thanks to two late goals. They are capable of causing a problem or two for Portugal, but I think on paper, the European side look too strong.

Italy 4-0 USA. They might be ranked 5th in the world, but I really think the United States is a very average team. Yes they do have some decent players who have done well in domestic competition, but as was seen against the Czechs, they simply dont have what it takes to compete with the best. The Italians on the other hand were very professional in their 2-0 win over Ghana. They have a solid defence, although they did come under some pressure in that first game. Midfield and attack is as strong as any other team in the tournament. Hence am predicting a comprehensive victory for the Azzuri.

Czech Republic 1-0 Ghana. Well I thought the African side played well against Italy, although their finishing was poor. Michael Essien had a lot of shots, but none of them were on target. That is something I think they would have to work upon. The Czechs were awesome against the USA, but I have a feeling this game wont be that easy. Hence predict a narrow win for the Czechs.

Portugal v Iran- First perfect score. Game was pretty much as expected. Congratulations to Luiz Felipe Scolari's team, who again look like strong title contenders.

Czech Republic v Ghana- Well I had predicted a close game with the Czechs just edging it in the end, but Ghana showing that they are capable of playing with the big boys. Czechs probably were a bit too complacent after that 3-0 victory over the USA, and paid the price for it. This is something the Italians and the Spanish should also be careful about after their comprehensive wins in the opening games.

3/8 now with a success rate of 37.5%.

My one prediction, Aus to beat Brazil 1-0 :)
No idea how our defence will hold out Brazil but I got faith in the team to cause an upset.

aussie1st said:
My one prediction, Aus to beat Brazil 1-0 :)
No idea how our defence will hold out Brazil but I got faith in the team to cause an upset.
If it wasnt Brazil, I would not rule out an upset. Cant see it happening, although would love it if Australia prove me wrong.

Italy v USA
Nine man USA hold on to earn what is probably the most precious point in this World Cup. Keeps the group wide open, with all four teams in with a chance to qualify. So two surprise results today with the Italians drawing and the Czechs losing. Which means once again I get two predictions wrong, and just one right.

Prediction ratio now stands at 3/9 with the success rate back down to 33.33%.

Tomorrow's Games:

Japan 1-2 Croatia. Croatia gave the Brazilians a good fight in the first game, and I thought were unlucky not to get a point from that game. Japan on the other hand, despite having a good first half, fell victim to some individual brilliance towards the end losing 1-3 to Australia. However expect the Japanese to me a lot more cautious in this game and hence make it harder for the Croatians to score. In the end however I do expect the European side to emerge winners.

Brazil 4-2 Australia. Am hoping for a goal scoring feast tomorrow in this match involving the Brazilians, who I thought were a bit shaky in the first game, and the Australians who stunned everybody by beating Japan, thanks to three late goals. I expect it to be 2-2 at one stage, before the Samba boys seal the game eventually.

France 2-0 South Korea. The French were probably the least convincing of all the title contenders in their first game against Switzerland. The Koreans on the other hand lead the group having defeated Togo 2-1. However an improved showing from the 98 world champions, should see them winning this game without too much hassle.

JJ3's current scoreline:

Correct 7-6 Incorrect

Todays games:

Japan .v. Croatia

An interesting battle this, and I expect to see decent chances for both teams. Croatia have a wealth of experience and Japan will be the underdogs in this one.

JJ3's Prediction: Japan 1-2 Croatia

Brazil .v. Australia

Australia will be confident following the success in the last 10 minutes against Japan, so I expect them to run Brazil hard. To be honest Brazil didn't look all that and a bag of chips against Croatia, but it won't take long for them to come out of their shell.

JJ3's Prediction: Brazil 3-0 Australia

France .v. South Korea

France have been stuttering at big tournaments as of late. However, I expect them to put the dissapointment of the opening game behind them and come out strong against the Korean. However, every Advocat team works hard for the full 90, and he will urge them to keep going for right to the end.

JJ3's Prediction: France 2-0 South Korea

JJ3, maybe give Aussies 1 Goal as their team is on Fire, I would say 2-1. But it's you're thread & you're the boss.

Usy

Japan 0-0 Croatia.
Well dint expect a stalemate here, but the Croatians did have their chances. A result that pretty much puts both teams in danger of being knocked out, although Croatia are capable of beating Australia in the last group game.

Brazil 2-0 Australia.
In the first half I thought the Aussies played brilliantly, and it was a very close game pretty much throughout. But the Brazilians arent World Champions for nothing, and they showed that even when things are tight are difficult, they still manage to get their goals and the three points that they need to qualify for the knockout stages.
I thought Australia played well enough to win the game themselves.

My prediction ratio currently stands at 4/11 with a slightly improved success rate of 36.36%, and I wont be online after the France v South Korea game, so I'll post my predictions for tomorrow's games now.

Togo 0-2 Switzerland. Recent problems within the Togo camp regarding pay, could have hampered the unity of the side. And that is one thing you do not want to face during the World Cup. The Swiss got a hard earned point from the France game and will want to go into the final crunch game against the Koreans with three more points in the bag. Expect them to win this with goals scored in either half.

Ukraine 1-0 Saudi Arabia. Ukraine were poor against Spain in the first match. But they are a much better team and will want to put their world cup campaign back on track with a win against Saudi Arabia. The draw between Saudi Arabia and Tunisia in the first game, gives Andriy Shevchenko's side a lifeline.

Spain 2-1 Tunisia. Spain's 4-0 thrashing of Ukraine was probably the best performance in the World Cup at that time. It was a fantastic display, and sent out a warning message to the rest of the teams. However as we saw with the Czechs, a good first game does not guarantee qualification to the last 16. Luis Aragones will have to ensure that his Spanish team, go out there and do the job once again. I actually expect a close game with Spain edging it in the end.

Users who are viewing this thread