JJ3 .v. M_Vaughan's World Cup Predictions

.......Torres is not a great player (At least not yet) - what has he won for a start? He hasn't played in the best league (by far) in the world the EPL. It would have been a different game (the spain one) had the linesmen not given offside to every move of Ukraines. 2 lucky goals and a stupid sending off.

If Rooney comes on - He will score.

Torres got 13 goals last season....... :D

Last edited:
themuel1 said:
.......Torres is not a great player (At least not yet) - what has he won for a start? He hasn't played in the best league (by far) in the world the EPL. It would have been a different game (the spain one) had the linesmen not given offside to every move of Ukraines. 2 lucky goals and a stupid sending off.

If Rooney comes on - He will score.

Torres got 13 goals last season....... :D
Well the EPL might be the best league in the world, but Spain is where the best players play. And to shine for a mediocre club like Athletico when there are bigger clubs in the league, is a great achievement for Fernando Torres. I suggest you have a look at his goals over past few seasons and then comment. I agree he has a lot of time in his side, but what he has achieved in such a short period is nothing short of amazing.

Anyways coming back to the WC, I think this would by best XI based on performances so far.

Hislop

Ayala
Pablo
Marquez
Sorin

Robben
Frings
Rosicky
Figo

Torres
Wanchope

Summary: Costa Rica 0-3 Ecuador

I thought Ecuador were superb in this one. Hurtado at the back was a real force, and if they are to keep winning matches, he will need to perform. On the break they were quick and direct which enabled the wingbacks to get into attacking positions and put chances on a plate for the strikers, such as the third goal. A real good performance which sees them qualify for the knockout stages.

JJ3's scoreline:

Correct 3-2 Incorrect

Germany v Ecuador becomes a very important match though, as both teams will want to avoid England in Round of 16 stage. I think Ecuador are top currently with a better goal difference, so a draw in the final game will also be enough.

Pak_cricketer said:
No Cahill?
You can put him there instead of Torsten Frings.

m_vaughan said:
I am going for a draw in both the Costa Rica v Ecuador and Sweden v Paraguay games. England to win 1-0 against TnT, in what I believe will be another lacklustre performance.
Got the first one wrong and second one right. (As JJ3 mentioned, the score is not relevant) Lets see how the Sweden-Paraguay game finishes.

Summary: England 2-0 Trinidad and Tobago

Wont say much on this because I didn't see the second half, but generally a poor performance by England, still not at our best in the tournament, but it will come in time. Hopefully against Sweden!

Sweden 1-0 Paraguay

Only saw the last 20 minutes of this game, looked to be pretty even with both sides looking for the points, but a well worked move from Sweden opened up the defence and they took all 3 points.. Very lucky because if they didn't, I was tipping them for an early exit to the tournament!!

JJ3's scoreline:

Correct 5-2 Incorrect

m_vaughan said:
Got the first one wrong and second one right. (As JJ3 mentioned, the score is not relevant) Lets see how the Sweden-Paraguay game finishes.
Freddy Ljungberg's last minute winner proves me wrong again. Sets up the England v Sweden game well though, as both teams will now want to avoid playing Germany (assuming ofcourse Germany beat Ecuador) in the round of 16.

Anyways thats 1/3 for me so far.

JamesyJames3 said:
Very lucky because if they didn't, I was tipping them for an early exit to the tournament!!
Well so was I. Finally we agree upon something.

If you are wondering why I am posting my predicitions in this thread is cuz I dont want every member to start a separate thread for predictions.

Tomorrow's games:
Argentina 2-0 Serbia and Montenegro. Expecting the Argentines to show their class in this game, although the Serbs will make it extremely difficult for them to score. Two moments of brilliance will probably lead to the two goals. I am also expecting one Mr. Hernan Crespo to score.

Netherlands 1-1 Ivory Coast. Well Arjen Robben was the difference between the Dutch and the Serbians in the first game, and I expect another good performance from him tomorrow. Ivory Coast, despite losing, I thought put up a good fight against Argentina, and hence I am going for a draw in this one.

Mexico 3-0 Angola. I hope Angola can prove me wrong, but I really cant see how Mexico wont cruise to a comprehensive win here. They werent at their best against Iran for most of the game, but are a quality side with a good back four.

Tomorrows games:

Argentina .v. Serbia Montenegro

I missed the Holland Serbia game during the first round so they are a bit of an unknown quantity for me, however, the old Yugoslavia were a decent team and Argentina can expect a fight in this game. However, I expect the Argentina flair to come out on top with a comfortable victory.

JJ3's Prediction: Argentina 2-0 Serbia Montenegro

Holland .v. Ivory Coast

Holland are a young an inexperienced team, and I am wondering how well they will deal with a strong, quick and hungry Ivory Coast team. This is a possible upset of the second round of games, and I expect Ivory Coast to attack much like Holland.

JJ3's Prediction: Holland 2-2 Ivory Coast

Mexico .v. Angola

Angola will fight in this one, but Mexico should and I predict will come out on top comfortably. They look a young and exciting team Mexico, and even though they will be without their goal machine Borgetti, they have players like Bravo upfront and Marquez at the back to help them to the 3 points.

JJ3's Prediction: Mexico 3-0 Angola

Pak_cricketer said:
3-0? Isn't that a little going over the top?
well in your thread you predicted 2-0, its not exactly light years away. If you are going to have your own prediction thread, why not keep to it instead of posting here, or I can see no reason in keeping yours open.

m_vaughan said:
Freddy Ljungberg's last minute winner proves me wrong again. Sets up the England v Sweden game well though, as both teams will now want to avoid playing Germany (assuming ofcourse Germany beat Ecuador) in the round of 16.

That's the problem. England could win the group and so could ecuador!

I think England's attack is more than capable of breaking through the German line of defence, to be honest...
However, they do have the home advantage.
Then again, as Drewska said, anything can still happen, with Ecuador looking threatening in the for column, and very solid in the against.

Last edited:
I ike your predictions for tonight/tomorrows games (Australian Time), JamesyJames.

I think the Holland vs. Ivory Coast game will be a good one, i would probably say 2-1 to Holland because i don't think the Ivory Coast defence will be able to handle the likes of Robben, Van Nistelrooy and Van Persie.

Users who are viewing this thread