Katich should captain: Hogg

Exactly. Now that Punter's buddy Bucknor is gone, where will he get the "emotional support" from? :p

Jokes apart, I partially agree with Hogg. Punter must go. But who are the options?

Michael Clarke, who is busy getting injured all the time.
Simon Katich can't walk into any format apart from Tests.

Who apart from these guys?

Michael Hussey or Marcus North.

Hey has anyone noticed the similarity of Brendan Nash and Simon Katich. Separated at birth.

What is the point of putting so much focus on Clarke for years only to name someone else the captain. For now Clarke is the only sure fixture in the Aussie team for the next 5 years and he should be the captain when Ponting steps down.

its not Ponting's fault that he doesn't have an extra pair of Warne-Gilly-Haydo-McGrath in his team

North needs to prove himself in all 3 formats before being given captaincy.

I'm surprised no one's mentioned Cameron White. He's more deserving than North, I believe :)

What can others offer that Ponting can't?

Experience?
Format availability?
Better captaincy records?

Answer is NOTHING.

What can others offer that Ponting can't?

Experience?
Format availability?
Better captaincy records?

Answer is NOTHING.

Experience-Clarke 54 tests
Format availability- Clarke, all 3 formats
Better captaincy records- Nobody since Ponting has been the captain when these guys made their starts so no point in even asking that.

North needs to prove himself in all 3 formats before being given captaincy.

I'm surprised no one's mentioned Cameron White. He's more deserving than North, I believe :)

:facepalm North has to prove himself in all three formats according to you, but then you mention Cameron White who isn't even in the test team.

It has to be Clarke for me personally, he play's in both the test team and the one day team and he's pretty much been groomed to take over Ponting.

The up coming Ashes the decider for Ponting in my opinion. If he doesn't regain the Ashes he will probably be stripped of it.

Look Michael Clarke is the obvious candidate and I think he'd be a great captain.

But Katich would also be a good Test captain, and in the event that the selectors were desperate they might go to him.

Wait, what the hell am I typing? Ricky Ponting is going to be the Australian captain for as long as he wants to be. Yes, Hogg points out some of his more questionable decisions, but he's also done many good things and he's a pretty inspirational figure (I gather) based from the comments the other players make about him. I think he's done a fine job with the player turnover Australia has had to put up with.

At the moment, Ponting is a great OFF ground captain. Does media well, encourages and inspires the players in meetings and in training. So he runs the team well. It's on the field that he could improve a little. Sometimes he gets caught in a defensive rut with field placings and I particularly don't like the way he stares down umpires in the field, but that's a personal peeve, some quite like his intensity. With the on field stuff, I like the fact now that Michael Clarke stands with him in the slips a fair bit so they can chat about tactics (not recently though, it's been North and Watson at 1st and 3rd). It's when Hauritz comes on and they seperate that I get a bit worried about Ponting letting the game drift a bit. Clarke seems more aggressive in his instincts like a Shane Warne.

I might also add that Rodney Hogg is the kinda guy on a journalists speed dial. Someone's desperate for a story... Maybe tomorrow it'll be Jeff Thomson. Both are twits IMHO.

If only Ponting was as aggressive as his batting. It would cause too much of a mess and I don't know how well Ponting would take losing the captaincy.

Anyway I would get rid of Nielsen, he doesn't seem to inspire the players and too many of our players are making starts but not going on lately yet nothing has been done to rectify it. Even Ponting has gone from a 100 making machine into a 50 one.

Users who are viewing this thread