Last Movie You Watched

Rewatched Rush(2013) - easily one of the top 3 movies from last year. Just a thrill ride throughout

Requiem for a Dream.

Masterpiece:clap.

the thing about requiem for a dream that gets to me is it's good but it's good for reasons such as innovative editing, camera angles and special effects. I suppose you have give it some credit as it takes a degree of good story telling to make anyone feel as miserable as this film makes me feel but I find it a bit too bleak to really work. it's an utterly depressing 2 hours of your life and it's not enjoyable in the slightest. it's more like beautifully shot anti-drug propaganda than a great piece of cinema.

the thing about requiem for a dream that gets to me is it's good but it's good for reasons such as innovative editing, camera angles and special effects. I suppose you have give it some credit as it takes a degree of good story telling to make anyone feel as miserable as this film makes me feel but I find it a bit too bleak to really work. it's an utterly depressing 2 hours of your life and it's not enjoyable in the slightest. it's more like beautifully shot anti-drug propaganda than a great piece of cinema.

Good way to put it, the camera angles and special effects are what take it to the next level for me.

I enjoy movies that hit you hard, or make you miserable as you put it:D. Would enjoy a movie like Requiem for a Dream any day over some of the other random cheesy comedies out these days that are apparently meant to make you happy.

Saw a couple more.

The Butler. THIS is a movie that makes you miserable. I was on the edge of tears several times during this one, it's depictions of racial segregation are about as strong as they come. Outside of that, it is a very good film but as a biographical film, I feel it misses just too many vital moments in the main character's life to make it truly special, things are rushed through and I feel it would've benefited from an extension from 2 hours to 3. Great performance from Forrest Whittaker though. I never watched The Oprah Winfrey show and haven't seen her acting before, so I was able to take her seriously as her character as opposed to just Oprah, and felt she performed well.

Analyze This. Very disappointing, didn't find it funny at all. Decent performance by De Niro, but in his common role as a member of the Mafia, this was one of his weaker performances.

I'm quite a fan of comedy, even if the subject and story are essentially very bleak, I think a little bit of humour can totally throw you and make you more sympathetic. it's been ages since I saw requiem for a dream, maybe ten years, I remember scenes very clearly though (teeth grinding bit, speeded up sequence, the choppy drug taking bits and god, the whole last 10 minutes when everyone is getting the worst) but I don't remember really caring about the characters.

have you ever seen any Pedro Almodovar? He's one of my favourite directors and he's got a few films which are quite bleak but they're a bit more surreal with touches of humour but I think that makes me care about the characters a lot more. They're in spanish though so it depends if subs are for you. All About My Mother and The Skin I Live in are really good.

never seen the butler, I'm a big fan of forest whitaker though so I'll keep and eye out for it.

Yeah no way you can care for those characters. I think that was part of the point though, they are painted as ungrateful teenagers, especially Jennifer Connelly's character and Marlon Wayans's character. I did feel a bit sorry for the main guy's mum though.

Haven't heard of Almodovar, will definitely give his films a look. I do understand a bit of Spanish which helps and I have no problem with sub-titles, been meaning to watch a couple recently in Pan's Labyrinth and Downfall.

Haven't seen many films with Forest Whitaker recently, in the last few years Panic Room is the only other one I can remember. After this though, The Last King of Scotland is definitely on my list and I might check out a couple more.

he's amazing in last king of scotland, like utterly incredible, not the best film ever but he's incredible in it. Also ghost dog: the way of the samurai is a really good low key film.

I remember watching the directors commentary for Requiem for a Dream (which I never do now) and at a bit near the end afronsky said, "I wasn't sure if the guy lived or died." and the writer apparently said "of course he lived, he has to suffer more." which kinda sums up the pummelling they wanted to give you.

if you're not bothered by subs and you like bleak stuff the japanese and korean stuff is good. I feel vaguely guilty for recommending Audition to anyone but you kinda like horror stuff don't you. yeah, this is not pleasant at all, but really good. I imagine you've seen the original Oldboy but if not do.

Last edited:
I'm not against subtitles, but I have seen very few foreign language films. Will definitely look at those.

Watched it.

I haven't been made more miserable in my life by a movie or book. Slaughterhouse 5 isn't even close. But I've got to give it to the director. That's all I can say. I would've delve into discussion now. Maybe sometime later.

Just saw Gravity. I found it a bit overrated. I mean the CGI and the acting was good but that's it.

Users who are viewing this thread