Making bowling more enjoyable, seeing weather/pitch effects etc. - invitation to playtest

Hi Guys,

It's been a long time since i posted here. Have been through a very though phase in my life. I am back here again enjoying the game. I must thanks Dave and rest for doing great job on these revised stats teams. I have been playing with Weaklings and England Rebel 1982 since yesterday and have had varied results. couple noticeable difference are:

1. lots of plays and Misses (Pretty realistic it seems).
2. Run rate have become lot better and you clearly see we are heading in right direction on this.
3. Players running in the field has less of the superman efforts now. (This is a massive one for me.) It feels much more realistic now.
4. Shots are not over powering anymore, although sixes can be still be hit, but the balance seems lot better with these new stats efforts.
5. Throws from the fielders are not super human anymore.

I have played a T20 and on Pro mode, dry wicket, delhi ground and these are the figures:

Please note: i play as weaklings. Cloudy conditions - no chances of rain.

Rebel 1982: Scored 146/7
4 notable edges 2 of them resulting in wicket. 1 catch at wicket keeper, the other at gully.
AI playing in the gaps. although still quite aerial, but it's T20 so it's fine.

Weaklings: 142/all out

it was a great game.

Thanks guys.

Any idea for the best pitch? Wierd question but I can't get anything out of the pitches I use. I use a dry, hard, worn and heavy craked pitch.

The same as in real life really, if you have cracks, target them as the ball will deviate if you hit them. Green wickets will seam but as I mentioned to themusketeer if combined with clear, hot conditions it won't take long before they become far easier to bat on and wickets can become a bit of a premium. Cloudy/ overcast conditions will generally see an increase in edges but keep shining the ball especially as it becomes older. Because I have swing set low I really do notice when the ball starts to swing more.

This leads me to another piece of advice, play a few games with the same team, this way you really get to know your bowlers ( bounce, line of stock deliveries, how much turn/ drift certain deliveries produce etc.), and then you will start to notice the difference the conditions bring. You can literally play a couple of sessions with very little happening then all of a sudden it will start to favour the bowlers.

Also be aware that the first 3 boxes for the conditions report are not exactly each session, they are morning, noon and evening. So if a match starts at 11a.m. the conditions for the first session are going to be more like what the second box is forecasting.

The same as in real life really, if you have cracks, target them as the ball will deviate if you hit them. Green wickets will seam but as I mentioned to themusketeer if combined with clear, hot conditions it won't take long before they become far easier to bat on and wickets can become a bit of a premium. Cloudy/ overcast conditions will generally see an increase in edges but keep shining the ball especially as it becomes older. Because I have swing set low I really do notice when the ball starts to swing more.

This leads me to another piece of advice, play a few games with the same team, this way you really get to know your bowlers ( bounce, line of stock deliveries, how much turn/ drift certain deliveries produce etc.), and then you will start to notice the difference the conditions bring. You can literally play a couple of sessions with very little happening then all of a sudden it will start to favour the bowlers.

Also be aware that the first 3 boxes for the conditions report are not exactly each session, they are morning, noon and evening. So if a match starts at 11a.m. the conditions for the first session are going to be more like what the second box is forecasting.

Thanks Ive been doing a SA vs WI tour so I have gotten Steyn and Philander's techniques done. Onenthing that sucks is that I alwaysmhave clear skies (except for the morning) so I have bowled 100+ overs but I have had only 3 edges (dropped at slip, went through vacant slip and over slip for four). Guess I better just wait for a cloudy day, maybe change the pitch to soft just for something else.

Also do you have any tips for getting set batsmen out? Currently WI are 85/3 and Bravo and Chanderpaul are both on 25ish so I'm worrying that there will be a huge partnership.

Also do you have any tips for getting set batsmen out? Currently WI are 85/3 and Bravo and Chanderpaul are both on 25ish so I'm worrying that there will be a huge partnership.

I don't have any tips for getting them out but I will generally have a spinner at one end as this will slow down the run-rate. Other than that keep an eye on bowler fatigue (tired bowlers rarely get wickets against set batsmen), mix up the angle of delivery and attack features on the wicket (cracks, worn patches). I would say 85% of the balls I bowl with the seam bowlers are with the good length button but mixing up the release while using the full/ short option as surprise deliveries.

In regards to the conditions this issue has been bought up before, if you are playing in competition mode go into the academy before playing and set the home teams ground to English Summer. This should help while if in casual mode I find the Lancashire ground quite often will give you cloudy conditions.

Can say it doesnt work with even 3 wkts match type though i tried that before this thread with normal things but what i can infer is more than tailender thing its more about the match engine trying to reach a score depending on team rating or something so that we dont have too many low scoring knocked out games and i think it often kicks in if the score is not on par with majority of the batsman gone.

I don't get this team balancing thing because if you set up the tail as I have suggested, then set up a 5 match test series and simulate all of the games you will find that by checking the averages at the end of the series they are generally what you would expect them to be regardless of how the top order have batted. So maybe the answer is to simulate the last few wickets if you always struggle to get them out.

I normally find I will get one stubborn partnership lower down the order while actually playing but as I've said before the last few wickets will generally fall for under 50/60 runs unless a couple of them are half decent with the bat.

I'll have a game later and see how I get on, now I've said this I'll probably have a mare!!

I have tried literally everything to try and get someone to bat poorly in the tail.. Now I just play Brian Lara International Cricket 05, and patched Cricket 07.

I have tried literally everything to try and get someone to bat poorly in the tail.. Now I just play Brian Lara International Cricket 05, and patched Cricket 07.

That's a bit like burning your house down because you don't like the shade of cream your walls are.

The game has the odd rough edge, but I'm pretty BLIC05 and Cricket 07 are pretty much just rough edges bandaged together in the shape of a cricket game in comparison.

That's a bit like burning your house down because you don't like the shade of cream your walls are.

The game has the odd rough edge, but I'm pretty BLIC05 and Cricket 07 are pretty much just rough edges bandaged together in the shape of a cricket game in comparison.

Ouch.

Although obviously Cricket 07 was a piece of old tosh. :)

parksandrecreation-chris-traeger-literally.jpg

I have about 780 odd hours on DBC 14. I really enjoy the career mode and have been testing massively with simulated and bowling at the AI in loads of different situations. I haven't really come to any conclusions worth posting on here though, to help out.

I can't play a game where everything is lifelike except how the players perform.. Not only is there no noticeable tailender attribute, there is nothing noticeable about the pacing. Alistair Cook and David Warner behave the same. I'm not sure what "Brute" and "Conservative" actually mean when it comes to AI batting. More than a year in and we are fiddling around with attributes and we have no idea what they actually do. Why must Tendai Chatara consistently outbat Aaron Finch over the course of a series? We are in 2015 and people have been conditioned by the really weak cricket game genre to accept having 11 identical players on the pitch? We haven't had that since Cricket 97 I think. It's like there is some sort of scripted match engine and the players play according to that. Each to their own but it's too big a 'glitch' for me.

I didn't want to go back to old games at all, I really like(d) DBC14, but something as basic as this tailender thing, I'm not sure how people can sort of ignore it. I've just had a great match on a modded C07 with Virat Kohli playing a fine attacking knock, Murali Vijay being stubborn at the top of the order, wickets falling to edges, bat pad catches, miscued hooks, caught in the outfield.

I will always remember Tendai Gower and Umar Richards on DBC14 and their late cuts for six however, and I do want to sort this AI batting out because I think DBC14 is a fine base for a game, but I have completely run out of ideas.

@Langeveldt have you played with these teams/settings? I haven't been able to play for a couple of weeks but my last game I played I got the tail out relatively easy - bottom 4 had 2 single figure score, 2 scores in low teens.

I think these stay adjustments have made a huge difference.

The one thing that they don't address, and which you're right is poor for 2015, is each batsman feeling the same in terms of style etc

Users who are viewing this thread