IPL Match 8- Kolkata Knight Riders vs Chennai Super Kings

How long can KKR carry old man Ganguly on their backs? He does not seem to be that great a twenty20 player, 4 50's in almost 50 innings and a SR barely above 100.

This will be his last IPL for sure.

Who cares? His captaincy is amazing. He looked good in his 15 odd too.

Towards the end of season 1 he really showed his repertoire with a couple of 90s. His bowling is really handy as well.

Plus, he simply owns Eden Gardens. He is the Prince of Kolkata!

Haha ok Rohit, now answer my question using logic and not emotion.

You can't just keep a guy in the side cause he is a good captain only (otherwise Ganga would be captaining Windies)

Ganguly just does not look to have it in him, he can't score quickly and has never been a great fielder, being 37 years old does not help his cause either.

Numbers and statistics don't matter in this case i'm afraid. This is Ganguly's team, it is Kolkata!

It's like Sachin and Mumbai. They will play him if he's up to it even if he's 85 years old. (probably will still be scoring runs too!)

He doesn't have bad IPL stats anyways - average of 24 is decent in T20. SR is low though i'll admit at just 106. But he is in the team as an allrounder - 8 wickets @ 28 a piece, an econ of just 7RPO is great imo.

Plus he has the most wins as captain for KKR. He only had superfail McCullum to compete with but hey, a record is a record! :p

Haha ok, lets talk again at the end of this season.

Also comparing Gangulys crowd support with Tendulkars is about as far as you can go. Tendulkar is actually a decent Twenty20 batsman (in IPL at least) so he has his spot on merit and not fan adoration

I think CSK's will make two changes, Parthiv in for Vijay and Gony in for Tyagi.

Its really so obvious that Ganguly's captaincy this IPL has worked. His bowling changes and his now usual backing up of his bowlers has really worked well for Kolkata. First match, he failed with the bat but second game, he had a decent outing (23 off 22, when things were already finished by KKR). Just as captain, he easily stays. And he is expected to grow through the tournament as a batsman.

Last two teams of season 1 were Season 2 semifinalist. Looking at the performance of KKR in first two matches, the trend will continue, i think.

There are still 13 games to go for all teams. In T20, nothing is predictable.

You can't just keep a guy in the side cause he is a good captain only (otherwise Ganga would be captaining Windies)

Ganguly's stint as captain for India saw him being persisted with despite failing for a while before he was dropped, if I remember correctly. He should've been dropped a while back considering his form at that time.

Anyways, favouring Kolkata to win this one based on recent form, and having a better bowling attack. Their Indian contigent is much improved this season with Tiwary, Pujara and Vignesh. Hopefully Vignesh gets a go, probably for Rohan Gavaskar. Pujara would be a fix in my line-up, as he provides a stability option, in case of a collapse.

Rain and thunder storms are the predicted weather report for tonight.Hope the game progresses.

Damn! Last time too in SA, the first game between CSK and KKR was washed out (here is that game)

I still can't be optimistic about KKR's chances in this tournament. We tend to get complacent after a few big wins, and start going downhill from there (like what happened in the inaugural edition of IPL). Though I do hope that our story changes this year.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread