Mitchell Johnson or James Anderson?

Who is a better bowler now?

• Total voters

nikhil_99

International Coach
Online Cricket Games Owned
Mitchell Johnson for me,yes Anderson can swing the ball more in comparison,but Johnson can bat well,and can support other batsman at other end,also he can bowl 145+

Raj_Aryan

Club Cricketer
Anderson can swing the ball both ways,but still Mitchell Johnson is more effective as a bowler and also he can bat well...

Jakester1288

School Cricketer
Ok, time for some stats related to the actual thread question. Leaving batting completely out of it, because there is nothing about batting in the original thread and poll question, I've compiled these stats.

Mitchell Johnson - 22 tests
99 wickets @ 27.91 - 2 5 wicket hauls

James Anderson - 38 tests
130 wickets @ 34.23 - 6 5 wicket hauls

On average Anderson takes 3.4 wickets per game, whilst he is becoming the spearhead, he has to contend with Flintoff and Harmison dominating proceedings whilst they are in the team.

Johnson on the other hand, is the spearhead now, with Lee injured, Siddle and Johnson will share the spearhead role in the future, but at the moment, it's Johnsons job. He takes 4.5 wickets per game, and averages much better too.

Lets take it back to another closer comparison, after 22 tests.

James Anderson - 22 tests
70 wickets @ 38.77 - 4 5 wicket hauls

So Anderson has kicked on and improved as a bowler from his 22nd test to his 38th, not only is that my opinion but the statistics show this as well.

At the moment, Anderson has a strike rate of 59.2, not quite as good as Johnson's 56.3. Johnson also trumps Anderson with a better economy, Anderson's 3.46 doesn't compete with Johnson's 2.97.

So, I think we can safely say, that Johnson has performed better with the ball, and a better bowling average, more wickets per match, better strike rate, and a better economy rate. Whether he is the better bowler or not, is debatable, because both are fantastic bowlers when they swing the ball, but with Johnson isn't is a regularity. I look forward to having this discussion again when they end their career.

Howsie

Chairman of Selectors
Lets take it back to another closer comparison, after 22 tests.

James Anderson - 22 tests
70 wickets @ 38.77 - 4 5 wicket hauls

That's a stupid way to judge two players. Anderson was a young bowler who was yet to turn 21 and if you ask most England fans they will say he was picked far to early. Heck ask anyone and they will say the same thing.

Johnson was picked to play his first test for Australia as a 26 year old, it's around this time fast bowlers are generally ready for international cricket. If Johnson was picked to play for Australia as a 20 year old how do you think his record would look.

I'm sorry but you just can't compare them like that

RoboRocks

Chairman of Selectors
Jimmy has had a much more difficult road to the top than Johnson. He had coaches constantly changing his action and lost the ability to swing the ball. He's now gone back to his original action now and is also much more consistent and has good control of swing both ways. What has also set him back is the injuries he had in 2005 and 2006, which took a long time to fully recover from and then after that he was still fast tracked back into the England side.

Yorkshire_No1

Club Cricketer
I say Anderson going off what I saw in the 1st test, Johnsons figures were a hell of a lot better than he performed spraying it around from time to time while Anderson was just helpless as was the other seamers. Expect something better in this test match.

sifter132

Panel of Selectors
^That's how Mitch normally bowls. It's kinda good sometimes because his bad balls are so bad the batsman can't hit them for 4 unlike say Broad or Siddle. His line bowling is improving, but so often Ponting sets a 7-2 field for him and he inevitably throws it wide as a result.

If the pitch is flat, and ball old: definitely Mitch. He can take wickets at any time on any surface - he doesn't need swing, although it helps. New ball on a seaming wicket, definitely Anderson, swinging it both ways will be hard to play this series if he can get it right.

Themer

Chairman of Selectors
Anderson hands down on if Johnsons bowls like he has done today for much longer.

SciD

Chairman of Selectors
Mj is just pacey and left handed version of Agarkar. Cant land two balls at same place.

vickyrox

Club Captain
^
LOL!!!!!!!!!!
He is verse than agarkar..........agarkar atleast scored a century .....and got an IPL Contract.....Both of which Mitch Coudnt

(Juss Kiddin People Dont Get Onto ME:D)

evertonfan

Chairman of Selectors
Anderson easily. Johnson's action is a mess and his seam position is a mess. Never have I seen a cricketer who's stats flatter him so greatly.

treva

ICC Chairman
Profile Flag
England
Anderson by far. Johnson can barely bowl one straight ball per over let alone be threatening. Anderson always looks like taking a wicket and has excellent control.

Anderson > An 100 year old woman > Johnson

Users who are viewing this thread