Story My South Afrcian diary - SA squad annouced

JD10

International Cricketer
Cricket-South-Africa-Logo_W.jpg
Hey Planetcricket members and welcome to my diary of South Africa rising to the top of the ICC rankings. My story will be intresting and well presented. You will find inside info on every game and a FULL match report for every match.

Information about South Africa:
The South Africa national cricket team, also known as The Proteas (formerly known as The Springboks) are a national cricket team representing South Africa. They are administrated by Cricket South Africa.

South Africa is a full member of the International Cricket Council with Test and One Day International status. Between 18 February 2007 and 7 April 2007, South Africa was ranked at the top of the ICC One-Day International rankings, and regained the no.1 spot on the 30 January 2009.As of 24 August 2009, South Africa attained the number 1 ranking in both Test and One Day International after England defeated Australia 2-1 in the Ashes, the first time this has been achieved by a country other than Australia since the current ranking system was introduced in 2003.

History

Cricket in South Africa was established by the British, and the first tour by a side from England took place in 1888-89. Here South Africa played its first Test match (against touring England at Port Elizabeth), becoming the third Test nation.

In 1935 Dave Nourse achieved the highest individual score by a South African of 231 against Australia in Johannesburg.

The South African cricket team toured England in 1947. At Nottingham, Captain Alan Melville and vice-captain, Nourse achieved a Test match record for a third wicket partnership of 319. The following year Nourse, 38 year old captain of Natal, was appointed Captain for the 1948 MCC Test matches in South Africa.

In 1970, the ICC voted to suspend South Africa from international cricket indefinitely because of its government's policy of apartheid, an overtly racist policy, which led them to play only against the white nations (England, Australia, New Zealand), and field only white players. This decision excluded players such as Graeme Pollock, Barry Richards and Mike Procter from partaking in international Test Cricket. It would also cause the emigration of future stars like Allan Lamb and Robin Smith, who both played for England, and Kepler Wessels, who initially played for Australia, before returning to South Africa.

The ICC reinstated South Africa as a Test nation in 1991 after the deconstruction of apartheid, and the team played its first sanctioned match since 1970 (and its first ever One-Day International) against India in Calcutta on 10 November 1991.

Since South Africa have been reinstated they have achieved mixed success, and hosted the International Cricket Council Cricket World Cup in 2003. However, it is widely believed the sides containing the likes of Alan Donald, Shaun Pollock and Hansie Cronje grossly underachieved, gaining a reputation as chokers, due to them reaching the semi-finals of the Cricket World Cup three times, but failing to progress into the finals, with Herschelle Gibbs famously dropping Australian captain Steve Waugh in 1999 in a league game. They have also had bad press for choking in vital matches in other important tournaments including the 2002 ICC Champions Trophy and the 2007 ICC World Twenty20.

With Donald retiring, Cronje banned for match-fixing and later killed in a plane crash, and Pollock also retiring from International Cricket, the team has once again changed shape. It is currently captained by Graeme Smith, although following injuries to Smith and Jacques Kallis, Ashwell Prince deputised as Test captain on 12 July 2006. At the age of 29, he became the first non-white man to captain the once all-white South African cricket team. Due to a racial quota policy, the side was once required to contain black players, unlike the past. However, that policy has recently been removed.

reference from Wikipedia

Last edited:

Prithvi

10 years at Planetcricket
India
RCB...
Profile Flag
India
Mate, tbh, I cant read anything. Change the text color immediatly to dark green or sea green so that every one can read without straining their eyes. Btw, good start. Good luck and I guess its even one of my favorite cricket playing nation:)

Users who are viewing this thread