New Zealand Domestic Season

It's hard to base anyone on their first class stats as the standard and competitions vary so much worldwide. Ten Doeschate has done pretty good in county cricket though. interesting to see how he does over here and in oz

Blake or Jake for sure :laugh

I posted this elsewhere, but no one answered me:

Why are South African players allowed to play as kolpak players in England, but still come back and play domestic cricket in South Africa over England's winter as doemstic players, while when New Zealanders go over to England to play as kolpak players, when they comes back to New Zealand over England's winter and they count as an international player for our domestic teams?
For example, Andre Adams and Hamish Marshall.

It's to do with the kolpak ruling in the English courts I think.

Chewie added 0 Minutes and 32 Seconds later...

Something related to the EU, blah blah blah, yea.

According to what I've read, Benkenstein, Boje, Hall, Flower, Nel etc. all come under the same ruling as Adams, so it just seems strange that they can play in the SA DOM comp as DOM players, while Adams has to play in the NZ DOM comp as an INT player.

I think Marshall is a different case though, as he is an Ireland resident or something.

It just makes little sense to me...

I get the part that if the haven't playing INT cricket for x amount of time the count as a kolpak player, but I just don't get how signing this deal effects that players relationship with their own country, if you kind of get what I'm getting at.

Might just be that NZ Cricket wants Adams (or any other kiwi kolpak) to play as a overseas player.

According to what I've read, Benkenstein, Boje, Hall, Flower, Nel etc. all come under the same ruling as Adams, so it just seems strange that they can play in the SA DOM comp as DOM players, while Adams has to play in the NZ DOM comp as an INT player.

I'd say it just means the NZ rules are different to the SA rules. I guess each country chooses its rules and in this case NZ and SA view things differently.

I don't think Adams is playing over there as a kolpak as it only applies to SA afaik.

Ok, that's the part I wasn't getting.
So it's NZ and SA who make those rules.

I guess if we do what SA does though it would be to our benefit, as our top DOM players would be able to head over their in the winter.

Like you can see with what Adams has done, that our six teams would be more or less on par or just below the level of their 18 teams.

CG123 added 2 Minutes and 30 Seconds later...

I don't think Adams is playing over there as a kolpak as it only applies to SA afaik.

According to wiki he is, very reliable I know.

Current County cricketers registered under Kolpak

* Derbyshire ? Wayne Madsen, Robin Peterson, Greg Smith
* Durham ? Dale Benkenstein
* Essex ? Grant Flower
* Glamorgan ? Garnett Kruger
* Gloucestershire ? Anthony Ireland
* Hampshire ? Neil McKenzie
* Kent ? Martin van Jaarsveld, Makhaya Ntini
* Lancashire ? Daren Powell
* Leicestershire ? Jermaine Lawson, Jacques Du Toit
* Middlesex ? Pedro Collins
* Northamptonshire ? Andrew Hall, Nicky Boje
* Nottinghamshire ? Andre Adams
* Somerset ? Charl Willoughby, Zander de Bruyn, Alfonso Thomas
* Surrey ? Andre Nel
* Sussex ? Corey Collymore, Murray Goodwin, Chad Keegan
* Warwickshire - Neil Carter, Ant Botha
* Yorkshire ? Jacques Rudolph

Vincent and Marshall both aren't listed under it.

Vincent played over here as a DOM player though, while Marshall was an INT player, so they must be under different rules, omg!

Kolpak ruling:

It declared that citizens of certain countries which have signed agreements with the European Union, have the same right to freedom of work and movement within the EU as EU citizens. Thus any restrictions placed on their right to work (such as quotas setting maximum numbers of such foreign players in sports teams) are deemed illegal under EU law.

SA have one of these agreements I presume.

The English Cricket Board ruled that a player must not have represented their own country for over twelve months in order to qualify for Kolpak status but after South African Jacques Rudolph signed for Yorkshire, they admitted that this rule was unenforceable.

ok flag I just read that he is a kolpak player. I think its just how the different cricketing boards in NZ and SA handle it.

Marshall qualifies through Irish lineage, Adams through Welsh. Vincent wasn't a kolpak.

Luke Wright signed with Wellington - interesting choice probably could do alright on our tiny boundaries in the t20

Users who are viewing this thread