New Zealand Domestic Season

I expect Auckland to do well in the FC + OD competition, but the T20 one... not sure. Our bowling is extremely strong but our batting is pretty thin without Styris.

I expect Auckland to do well in the FC + OD competition, but the T20 one... not sure. Our bowling is extremely strong but our batting is pretty thin without Styris.

Northern Districts probably have the best T20 side if all the internationals are back.

Something along these lines probably:

Watling
Gibbs/Warner/Hodge
Williamson
Flynn
Marshall
Vettori
McGlashan
Yovich
Aldridge
Southee
Arnel/Boult

If Hodge is playing Vettori will probably open. If we have two of them, Flynn will probably move out I'd guess. We have the two best T20 bowlers in the country, our overseas players are probably the best batsmen we could have got, Williamson is one of the best batsmen in the country, McGlashan is probably the second best T20 keeper, and the rest of the team are all talented

What about Styris?

CG123 added 1 Minutes and 39 Seconds later...

Also outside your INT's, you don't really have many boundary hitters.
Watling, Williamson, Flynn and Marshall are all workers of the ball.

I wouldn't call Marshall a worker of the ball, he hit that century against Ireland remember lol

McGlashan can hit it around a bit too. As can Styris. He'd probably replace Yovich but that would screw my batting order up somewhat :/

Yeah, remember, it was against Ireland, I'm sure McIntosh would have looked somewhat aggressive. :p
He just doesn't come off as an aggressive player to me, by aggressive I don't mean someone like Vettori who looks to score 1/2 off every ball, I mean someone who is going to score boundaries through brute force, like Gibbs/Warner.

Yeah, remember, it was against Ireland, I'm sure McIntosh would have looked somewhat aggressive. :p
He just doesn't come off as an aggressive player to me, by aggressive I don't mean someone like Vettori who looks to score 1/2 off every ball, I mean someone who is going to score boundaries through brute force, like Gibbs/Warner.

CD's full of them, we should just steal some :p

Watling
Gibbs/Warner/Hodge
Williamson
Flynn
Marshall
Vettori
McGlashan
Yovich
Aldridge
Southee
Arnel/Boult

ND would have to play 2 of their overseas players, so have Watling & Warner open then Gibbs at 3. Instead of just the one. Flynn would probably be dropped for Styris.

They don't have to play 2 of them, and there probably aren't going to be many games where two of them are actually available. I wouldn't think Flynn would get dropped for Styris because then we'd have too many bowlers. Yovich for Styris basically gets you a much better batsman for a similar bowler.

I'm sure atleast 2 of them will be present at a time otherwise having 3 overseas players would be stupid. Styris wouldn't be happy batting anywhere except in the top 4 so either Flynn gets dropped or he moves down the order.

I'm sure atleast 2 of them will be present at a time otherwise having 3 overseas players would be stupid. Styris wouldn't be happy batting anywhere except in the top 4 so either Flynn gets dropped or he moves down the order.

What? I don't see how that makes it stupid... We have 3 because we know that it is likely that they won't be able to come play as much as we'd like so we have to make sure that we have at least one international playing in each match

Styris plays 5-7 in the Black Caps but I suppose he'd want to play near the top in domestic cricket. But if we had 2 internationals playing like you suggest we may, then he'd have to bat 5 or 6. James Marshall normally plays 5 though I think

Last season Marshall played at six, if I recall correctly.

It also depends on where Vettori and McGlashan bat, if they bat in the top three like they did often last season, it'll push the likes of Flynn, Styris and Marshall down.

I really don't see any room for Williamson in T20's, you'd think Devcich would be ahead of him going on some of his hitting from last season.

He has a real poor average though. I suppose it would depends on how they do in FC.

1.Brad Hodge
2.David Warner/Herschelle Gibbs
3.Kane Williamson
4.Scott Styris
5.Daniel Flynn
6.Peter McGlashan
7.Daniel Vettori
8.Joey Yovich
9.Tim Southee
10.Bradley Scott
11.Brent Arnel

Would be nigh on perfect IMO.

Surely James Marshall would be in the side?

I can understand Watling not being there, but the captain should probably be in the starting XI...

Surely James Marshall would be in the side?

I can understand Watling not being there, but the captain should probably be in the starting XI...

Obv. But he wouldn't be in my XI :p Given that the international players will probably miss at least half the games the team I named is very unlikely to play anyhow.

Users who are viewing this thread