New Zealand Domestic Season

God Arafat is a DOUCHE. Why we even got him is beyond me:facepalm. Might as well saved the $$ and played a local player. Neil Broom is a living legend though ;)

That must be a first - NZ domestic cricket making front page news on cricinfo. :D

Otago will have to focus on the 20/20 now. Even if they bat well, there's no way they can win with pathetic bowling like they've done lately. The reason we performed so well in the shorter form last year was our bowling. Wagner was the leading wicket taker, and this year hes struggled. Dimi kept it tight at the other end only going for around 4 an over, and this season, Arafat has gone for 10s and 12s.
Also the opening batting. I'm not sure why Cumming doesn't open and i'm not sure when Redmond will be back, but with out them, the opening combo is weak.
Well that's my thoughts anyway ;)

Last edited:
Ok since the season is well under way now and we have seen who is in form and who is not who would you guys have in your team for the first round of the HRV cup?

For Wellington I would go with:

1: Ryder
2: Merchant
3: Shah
4: Elliott
5: Franklin
6: Bell
7: Nevin
8: Woodcock
9: Bowden
10: Patel
11: McKay

Gillespie would come in for McKay if hes fit but at this point I am going to assume hes not.

Good point, where on earth is Redmond? Otago miss him badly.

For Canterbury i'd take pretty much the same as the OD side. Hopefully Bond is available not too far into it.

Burtt is a missing bowler for us. He might also be injured.

Last edited:
I'm trying to put together an Otago team, but its pretty hard.
I want Brendon McCullum opening with Cumming, but I also want Rutherford, as he done so well last season. Maybe it would make sense to have Cumming down at 4 in 20/20.

I'll give it a go anyway

B. McCullum (hoping he'll actually play)
H. Rutherford (guessing Redmonds still injured)
N. Broom
C. Cumming
D. Broom
N. McCullum
I. Butler
Y. Arafat (:facepalm at his performances so far)
N. Wagner
D. De Boorder
W. McSkimming

A much better batting line-up without Morgan and Haig. And also the team bats down to 10 (who sometimes opens).. and possibly 11

Yea McCullum will be playing for sure, all the Blackcaps will be unless they are injured.

Ok since the season is well under way now and we have seen who is in form and who is not who would you guys have in your team for the first round of the HRV cup?

For Wellington I would go with:

1: Ryder
2: Merchant
3: Shah
4: Elliott
5: Franklin
6: Bell
7: Nevin
8: Woodcock
9: Bowden
10: Patel
11: McKay

Gillespie would come in for McKay if hes fit but at this point I am going to assume hes not.

That's a pretty strong top five, the bowling looks rather iffy though.

Howsie added 1 Minutes and 11 Seconds later...

I'm trying to put together an Otago team, but its pretty hard.
I want Brendon McCullum opening with Cumming, but I also want Rutherford, as he done so well last season. Maybe it would make sense to have Cumming down at 4 in 20/20.

I'll give it a go anyway

B. McCullum (hoping he'll actually play)
H. Rutherford (guessing Redmonds still injured)
N. Broom
C. Cumming
D. Broom
N. McCullum
I. Butler
Y. Arafat (:facepalm at his performances so far)
N. Wagner
D. De Boorder
W. McSkimming

A much better batting line-up without Morgan and Haig. And also the team bats down to 10 (who sometimes opens).. and possibly 11

Surely De Boorder wont play if McCullum is in the team, no point having a keeper in the team if he's going to bat at 8/9/10 tbh.

Howsie added 5 Minutes and 12 Seconds later...

ND's team will probably look like this:

1.Brad Wilson
2.Michael Parlane
3.Kane Williamson
4.James Marshall
5.Daniel Flynn
6.Peter McGlashan
7.Joey Yovich
8.Daniel Vettori
9.Tim Southee
10.Trent Boult
11.Brent Arnel

We might see Flynn open instead of Wilson, seems pretty stupid to have McGlashan, Yovich and Vettori at 6-7-8 as they can all score pretty quickly. Te Ahu Davis might come into the team to add some pace into the line-up also.

Vettori will open I think. I'm pretty sure he did last time he played T20s for ND.

If only Otago had a better import, their side would be immense. Anyone but Arafat.

Surely De Boorder wont play if McCullum is in the team, no point having a keeper in the team if he's going to bat at 8/9/10 tbh.
Lol, true, true. I never thought of that:facepalm. Maybe no Darren Broom and have De Boorder in the middle order. I honestly dont know what they'll go with, I guess I'll wait and see.

That's a pretty strong top five, the bowling looks rather iffy though.

Yep that is going to be the weak point for us I feel. If we had O'Brien and a fit Gillespie to strengthen the bowling we would look very dangerous.

The other option they might well consider is dropping Merchant and moving Nevin or Bell up to open and then slotting Hitchcock into the lower order.

Last edited:
Predictions?

Lets say:

Winner:
Runner-Up:
Most Runs:
Most Wickets:
Worst team:
Flop:
(As in player)

Winner: Central Districts (Best side all-round IMO)
Runner-Up: Canterbury (BIASED!, but look at the latest OD game. Lots of big hitters. Bowling is the issue. Underdogs perhaps so will surprise)
Most Runs: Taylor
Most Wickets: Arnel (changed, got the wrong guy)
Worst team: Wellington (Sorry haha) Woulda said Northern but they have Vettori.
Flop: Arafat.

ND = Good bowling, crap batting. Auckland are Auckland and will end up third. Otago despite having big names will be the big disappointment. Hope they don't win again.

Last edited:
Most Runs: Taylor
Most Wickets: Vettori
Worst team: Otago
Flop: Dilshan

Can't pick a winner honestly I don't think it will be Otago or Auckland though. Otago have been out of form and I just don't feel Auckland have much depth to their side they need Guptill and Tuffey to work some miracles, Mills will be missed.

Users who are viewing this thread