New Zealand Domestic Season

Leighton Burtt moving to Wellington from Christchurch, and Greg Todd moving to Auckland from Otago. Don't know much about Burtt but Todd is a decent batsman

Looks like Nevin's career is coming to an end it doesn't sound like he will be getting a contract this season. Wellington will be giving one to Joe Austin-Smellie instead.

Griggs will also be on his way out.

Greg Todd moving to Auckland from Otago. Don't know much about Burtt but Todd is a decent batsman
Yeah he was great the season before the last, and said before last season he wanted a place in the test squad, but he didn't end up having the flashest season. Maybe he thinks he can do it at Auckland, sucks for us though as our FC batting is already inconsistent

do these people usually move around every off-season?

i just started following nz domestic cricket the past summer.

I don't remember there ever being this many off-season moves. The last one I remember was Hopkins to Auckland, (of course there's been more though)

i guess this is good news, although i'm still shocked at styris's descision :(.

Styris was always a ND boy he use to pack my groceries at the Foodtown in chartwell way back in the day :laugh

Styris was always a ND boy he use to pack my groceries at the Foodtown in chartwell way back in the day :laugh

:laugh That's quite funny :p Myburgh doesn't qualify until after the 2011 world cup... he'll be getting old by then

What's the latest word on the possible 2 overseas pro rule?
I read an article last week that it may change from 1 to 2 in T20, but Otago probably will settle for one even if they're allowed 2. I think it's a good move if it happens, what do you's think?

It would be quite good I think. It would increase the skill level of the domestic cricket, giving players a bigger challenge, and may draw slightly bigger crowds. The downside is that it prevents up and coming players from staking a place in the side because one of the places is held by an overseas player.

Yeah my thoughts exactly. But I think the positives far outweigh the negatives, and you can say that it will help grow the game of cricket in NZ so losing the domestic player spot wouldn't be too big of a deal. The only thing that will possibly prevent it could be money, Otago have already said they probably will stick to one and I'm guessing that's because of money problems.

Leighton Burtt moving to Wellington from Christchurch, and Greg Todd moving to Auckland from Otago. Don't know much about Burtt but Todd is a decent batsman

Leighton Burtt's a very good bowler on his day, he get's it through at a decent pace and usually gets the ball to move away from the right handers. Problem is however he's as injury prone as Shane Bond, probably even more so if you can believe it. The poor guy has never been able to finish a first-class season iirc since debuting in 2006.

He'll go well at the Basin though, if he can stay fit.

Howsie added 2 Minutes and 16 Seconds later...

What's the latest word on the possible 2 overseas pro rule?
I read an article last week that it may change from 1 to 2 in T20, but Otago probably will settle for one even if they're allowed 2. I think it's a good move if it happens, what do you's think?

It's a good move for the simple fact it will even New Zealand teams up a little when competing in the Champions League.

Howsie added 2 Minutes and 53 Seconds later...

:laugh That's quite funny :p Myburgh doesn't qualify until after the 2011 world cup... he'll be getting old by then

He turns 30 in October, for a batsmen that really isn't a problem. He could theoretically have a good six plus year career in international cricket if even thing pans out for him.

I reckon two INT players for the HRV cup is a good move, but in terms of the FC and 50 over stuff just leave it at one.

With the blackcaps playing in the HRV cup last season, I don't think there was much opportunity for youngsters to came through the T20 scene, so I don't think that matters too much.

T20 is all about the crowds etc, so IMO the more INT players the better.

Users who are viewing this thread