New Zealand in Australia Nov-Dec 2008 Feb 2009

any chances of a Draw???

I'll say none. Would have to be bad weather. With the pitch being a bit green and stuff it should favor the bowlers.

I think all these factors help us. We're expected to lose the game so really we can only gain from playing. With the pitch helping the seamers it means the toss winner will bowl and will be at a big advantage (Come on Vettori, win that toss!) We also have really good seam and swing bowlers. On fast bouncey wickets they're not so good, but in seaming conditions O'Brien, Southee and Martin will be a handful.

I think if there's ever a chance for us to beat Australia in a test it's now. Perfect time for it. I love when we play Australia because i'm not concerned about the result. you always see high quality cricket from Australia's end and often a NZ player's career is set alight.

any chances of a Draw???

You would think so when you consider the weather forcast.

We should still win this match and win pretty comfortably. Kiwis have a chance if they bowl first and get few early wickets. They always lift against us as well, so I wouldnt write them off just yet.

Cant wait for the summer of cricket to start though. After the debacle in India , Aussies will come out hard.

The forecast isn't bad enough to look like a draw, although Thursday could be a washout. What is most promising for the bowlers is the weather that's already happened. Storms have left it under-prepared. It hasn't been allowed to dry out in the sun. Even if little play is possible on day 1, as long as the wicket is true to form under such conditions, the batting side should have lost enough wickets for the game to progress at a fast pace.

I thought i'd have a little fun and make a few predictions for this series, which you can either all laugh at; or be stunned at my brilliance once they come too fruition. :p

*General Series Predictions.*

* Australia will win the series 1-0 (Draw at Brisbane, Win at Adelaide)

* Australia goes with Watson over Krezja for the first test but Krezja takes back his spot for the 2nd Test though at the expense of Johnson.

* New Zealand go with 4 pace bowlers for the First Test, they drop Mills for Patel for the 2nd test, after Southee puts in a good performance.

* Micheal Hussey is the leading run scorer for Australia as well as this series, while for New Zealand, Aaron Redmond suprises all and is our highest run getter during the series.

* Tim Southee and Stuart Clark are the leading wicket takers for their respective sides during this series.

*First Test Predictions*

* Australia will post a solid total with 100's to Hayden and Hussey, but will only have a first innings lead of 50 or less after both sides first innings

* Daniel Flynn suprises everyone with a dogged 100 with support from Vettori & McCullum after the top order collapses...again.

* Australia will make make NZ chase 300+ due to a first test ton from Shane Watson that saves them after a batting collapse that gives NZ a chance of chasing a total under 200 runs at one stage.

* New Zealand escape with a draw after being within 2 wickets of defeat on the final day after a collapse in the final session caused by Clark & Lee.

*2nd Test Predictions*

* New Zealand post a 500+ score and gain a 100 run first innings lead.

* Aaron Redmond makes 150+, while Ryder & Taylor both make 100's in the first innings as well.

* Hussey gets his first Test double century and the rest of the team puts up a solid reply to New Zealand's first Innings total

* Brett Lee rips through our top order as NZ collapse to give Australia a total of just under 250 to chase, with a day and a half left in the test.

* Australia then cruise to a comfortable 6 wicket victory thanks to fifties from Katich, Clarke & Hussey.

I know i'm gettin atleast one a few of those right.

Last edited:
* Australia goes with Watson over Krezja for the first test but Krezja takes back his spot for the 2nd Test though at the expense of Johnson.

Sorry to burst your bubble (and the fans who would like to see cricket prosper), but Mitchell Johnson has gotten into the pocket/pants of the Australian national selectors and will never be dropped come hell or high water.

From what I hear the clouds have cleared yesterday which allowed the green pitch to dry out a bit. That leaves Krejza in the box seat to be the 4th bowler.

I'd rather Australia picked Krejza than Watson. We've just been in Bangladesh playing heaps of spin. Plus this isn't India, it takes class spinners to get many wickets on most of the Aussie surfaces. It's the quicks on a green pitch i'd be worried about. The Aussie selectors have made a lot of mistakes lately, don't fail me now guys!

I wanna see Krejza picked, so that McCullum, How and Ryder can take him apart just to prove that his 12 wicket test match was a fluke. McCullum took apart Panesar when he had his eye in, so Krejza will get slaughtered. I've got the first 3 hours on Sky + before the England-India game starts, like watching Aussie cricket. The 3 man commentary team at a time is awesome, the likes of Nicholas, Benaud, Lawry etc. Probably be supporting Australia though, even if Johnson and Watson play.

That's what I can't wait for, hearing Richie, Bill Lawry, and co commentate. They really make watching cricket a pleasure.

For once I want to see our top order put on big runs so that McCullum can play his natural game and play a Gilly like innings. Too often he comes in at 100-4 (or worse) and we just can't afford him playing too many shots.

Another thing which goes in our favor is the pressure on Ricky Ponting. It usually doesn't affect his batting but hopefully he has a bad series. Due to the criticism he got over his captaincy. He won't be able to have slow over-rates or he'll likely get banned now.

Totally agree, I love watching all the Aussie based cricket, they just put on such an entertaining show. Love listening to the likes of Richie Benaud and Bill Lawry, imagine 3 way commentary stints with Benaud, Lawry and David Lloyd for half hour followed by Mark Nicholas, Tony Cozier and another of the good Aussie commentators, that'd be a dream. Alongside Benaud and Lawry, Bumble and Cozier are my 2 favourite commentators, they just make the cricket so much more enjoyable.

Yeh, Ponting's really going to have to step up his game. He can't afford to have slow over rates, and needs his team to play out of their skin to make up for a disappointing series in India. I'm sure they'll come back strongly, especially with Symonds back in the side. It's going to be a really good series. There are quite a few players on both sides I massively enjoy watching, the likes of McCullum, Ryder, Hussey, Hayden, Vettori, Ponting and Symonds are all brilliant players when on form.

I heard McCullum had an injury of some kind, is he OK for the first test? I hope so. He's one of my favourite players to watch at the minute. I saw his 170 for Otago in a 50 over game in New Zealand last season on Youtube and was in awe. When he gets going he hits the ball as far and as sweetly as anyone. He was class in England, in the Tests anyway, and watching him on the bouncy pitches of Australia should be fantastic entertainment. Not 100% sure who I want to win the series really, I like both sides from a neutral perspective, probably edge towards Australia unfortunately, although I will be cheering on McCullum, Ryder, Vettori, Southee and Flynn.

He's OK. He's been having some back spasms and his toes got hit by a yorker but no breaks. Word was that he's going to keep wicket. Unless anything's changed he'll be playing a full role.

They were considering bringing in Fulton (hopefully at 3) for one of our 4 seamers. I hope if one gets dropped it's Mills because he was poor in the tour game and in Bangladesh.

Fair enough, least he's pretty much fit to play. He's one of the best keeper-batsmen in the world right now, and one of the few class players than the Kiwis have atm. Does he still use the forearm guard that he started using after getting hit by Anderson? :p

Yeh, I've never rated Kyle Mills in tests. He's a quality ODi player, but in Tests he's never looked class, same with Chris Martin from what I've seen. If New Zealand could get Bond back they'd still be a class side. With guys like Southee, Bond, Oram, Martin and Vettori they'd have a very good attack, and with the batsmen now starting to find their feet they could have a good side. Obviously Bond's not going to come back though, must be pretty gutting for you Kiwi fans.

Well if you're a side like Australia you just grab another fast bowler with a < 25 doestic average out of the pool and throw them in. For us losing Bond is losing our best bowler in NZ cricket history only behind the great Sir Richard. It is gutting. Especially when he always gave 100% and played in such good spirit.

Martin has been our strike pace bowler since Bond's been thrown aside. He may not have impressed vs England but trust me, he's a key bowler for us. I dunno if you remember James Franklin but before getting injured he was starting to become a key performer for us as well. Just starting to find his feet. He's a left arm swing bowler so gave our attack so much variation. He should be back for the West Indies series hopefully. His batting is at Vettori's level as well so made our lower order very strong.

I'd like to see:
Redmond
How
Fulton
Taylor
Ryder
McCullum
Flynn
Vettori
Southee
O'Brien
Martin

Fulton bats at 3 for Canterbury, so if he gets put at number 6 or 7 i'll be very annoyed. I don't know how they're going to arrange Ryder, Taylor and Fulton, they could go at any order in those 3,4 and 5 slots. I hope McCullum goes back to six though.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread