New Zealand in Australia Nov-Dec 2008 Feb 2009

No, we get the game it's just at 6 o'clock coverage stops and goes to the news. We only miss like 10-15 mins if it goes over-time but last time the kiwis toured it meant we missed McGraths or Dizzys half century, I forget which one they didn't show.

The kiwis could pull it off. Highly unlikely. Taylor needs to make 150 again and Vettori + Southee need to stick around scoring 20-50 runs. Dan and Luteru (that's Taylor's first name right?) are the key. I think O'brien can hang around but won't score many runs. Lol at Martin. Heaps of time too.

Vettori can bat, and Southee can hit out like he did against England. It's whether they do this on the day that matters. I wouldn't expect O'Brien to last long and we know about Martin.

And yea, I think that is Taylor's first name.

how is martin so bad, you'd at least think they would coach him a bit and tell him to step forward every time and pull out a forward defense instead he moves away from the ball and is bowled on half volleys

I've heard him say that when he was growing up he would bike a long way to practice and wouldn't take a bat with him. That's maybe why he's so useless with the bat. I saw him cover drive a four once.

Yeh, I heard the same story, couldn't be bothered to take loads of gear to training, so just bowled. He's due a big score though, so I'd say he'll get 50* tommorow :p

Nice to see Haddin perform as well, both he and Watson have continued to prove their form since I started slagging them off =D

Well another poor performance by the NZ batsmen, 140-6. Hopefully the next test match is the last time we have to ever see Redmond play for us. And I'm really starting to loose faith in How. He has the talent but I don't think he is mentally tough enough. I don't think he can build a innings, as most NZ batsmen can't. Atleast we have our two best batsmen at the crease, but I can't see too much happening tomorrow. The team wont change too much for the next test, as Fulton has gone home already. I can only see Patel coming in. Hopefully when the West Indies come over we have a different kind of line up. Even though he is injured at the moment I wouldn't mind seeing Martin Guptill playing, and I don't think it will be long until Trent Boult makes the Kiwis either. If you don't know him, he is a left-armer and is very quick. Get's it around the 140-145 kph, and really swings it. He made his debut for ND last week and took 5-48, he also played for NZ A in India and did quite well. Also I think Daniel Flynn has to bat at three, thats where he plays for ND, and push Ryder down to five.

1.How?
2.Guptill
3.Flynn
4.Taylor
5.Ryder
6.Oram
7.McCullum
8.Vettori
9.Southee
10.O'Brien
11.Martin/Boult

It's not like Martin hasn't bowled well in this test match, but he hasn't been that good for a few months now and Boult is a very good bowler.

I would also like to see George Worker and Kane Williamson looked after really well, both a very talented batsmen and with Worker being a opening batsmen we must develop him to a international standard.

Guptill has injured his knee and won't be back until sometime Next Year, so he won't have enough time in the middle to be considered for selection. I would consider Boult or even Ian Butler for WI series as it will give a little extra pace to our pack in NZ, in the place of Martin .

Last edited:
Guptill has injured his knee and won't be back until sometime Next Year, so he won't have enough time in the middle to be considered for selection. I would consider Boult or even Ian Butler for WI series as it will give a little extra pace to our pack in NZ, in the place of Martin .

No way Butler is very average, and only bowling around 130-135 kph. Maybe James Franklin, I forgot about him.

No way Butler is very average, and only bowling around 130-135 kph. Maybe James Franklin, I forgot about him.

Has he dropped his speed to try and prevent further injuries or something, I remember hearing about him trying to become a batting all-rounder.

We do need to bring in a genuine pace bowler like Trent Boult, I rate him as a greater bowling prospect than Southee, but I think Franklin will slot back in due too his all-round skills, due to our top order being so fragile at the moment. he'll probably be coming in for Martin for the West Indies series. Boult though could be pushing for a spot if Southee or O'Brien slip up this summer and he continues his form.

Has he dropped his speed to try and prevent further injuries or something, I remember hearing about him trying to become a batting all-rounder.

We do need to bring in a genuine pace bowler like Trent Boult, I rate him as a greater bowling prospect than Southee, but I think Franklin will slot back in due too his all-round skills, due to our top order being so fragile at the moment. he'll probably be coming in for Martin for the West Indies series. Boult though could be pushing for a spot if Southee or O'Brien slip up this summer and he continues his form.

Yeah I think Trent Boult will be a better bowler then Tim Southee too, and the fact that Boult is a weed at the moment probaly means he can get alot quicker. He still has a child's body, he is very, very thin.

Howsie added 17 Minutes and 57 Seconds later...

http://www.nzherald.co.nz/cricket/news/article.cfm?c_id=29&objectid=10544457&ref=rss

There is some of the youngters to look out for. Hopefully Kane Williamson becomes the great player NZ needs. I remember at a Under 15 tournment I was at where in 5 days of cricket he made four 100's and a 96.

what do you rekon about playing Patel next game, who would go out? all of he bowlers have performed reasonably well, elliot to be dropped if tey decide to play jeets?

I thought Redmond might of been able to put a good 50 up at least today but him and How look out of their depth against Australia Lee & Clark.
Can't tell whether How is out of his depth, he hasn't lasted long enough yet!

Redmond just seems completely deficient. It seems like he is reliant on bowlers not targeting off stump. Why anyone would see that as an ideal trait for a Test opener, I do not know. He seems most free against short and wide deliveries, but his main front foot shot seems to be a slog past the bowler. His defence isn't nearly good enough to be waiting for the bad ball against accurate bowlers; he needs to be able to create singles.

You can at least see the virtue in the other players. In Redmond I feel they've mistaken a tendency to leave as grittiness.

On another note am I the only one who can potentially see Daniel Flynn being a solution to our opening problems. Just watching his technique he reminds me of Justin Langer, I kept noticing how comfortable he seemed against the pace of Lee and the line and length bowling of Clark, something which both How and Redmond didn't even look close to being during this test match.

I think we should consider it if the openers fail in the next test, because Tim McIntosh is our only real viable opening alternative, before going back to the tried and terrible or to a couple of young guys who just would get ripped to shreds at the moment. The only options I see at the moment are, McIntosh and Flynn or, Ryder and Flynn are really the only alternatives.

what do you rekon about playing Patel next game, who would go out? all of he bowlers have performed reasonably well, elliot to be dropped if tey decide to play jeets?

Most likely changes will be Patel for Southee & Fulton will come in for Elliot.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread