Marsh
Ponting
Hughes/Clarke
Symonds/Hughes
Hussey
Haddin
Hopes

OR Warner at 7 is good too

There's no point rattling the batting lineup around on the pretense that it just needs another batsman. Ponting and Marsh were acceptable, but the rest were all well below par. That includes the likes of Mike Hussey and Michael Clarke. If you're not dropping them, you have to back them.

I think shuffling the order is exactly what is required. I don't think it's currently working. We need a big hitter in the middle order;

Marsh
Katich
Ponting
Warner
Clarke
Mussey
Haddin

Marsh
Haddin
Ponting
Katich
Clarke
Mussey
Warner

Marsh
Warner
Ponting
Katich
Clarke
Mussey
Haddin

Either one of those 3 work for me.

Feelin Blue? added 2 Minutes and 5 Seconds later...

I wouldn't mind changing the middle one to look like this

Marsh
Katich
Ponting
Haddin
Clarke
Mussey
Warner

I like either of those 4. It has depth in all the departments. Either a big hitting opener, or a steady opening partnership. If it's a big hitting opening partnership it's follow by steady middle order batsmen who can hit big after being played in. If it's a steady opening partnership it's follow by a power Middle order (Haddin or Warner) and each one has a strong big hitting number 7 and a smart batsmen who can pick boundaries at 6 in Hussey.

I'm not overly confident about tomorrows game. We didn't get a great ODI workout against the West Indies as most games got rained out. My main worry is guys liek Oram and Ryder. You really need a full powered side, no matter what Australia's predicament is.

Aussies have played at Perth just 2 days ago, so they should have the upper hand there.

In saying that, if you'd ever want to play Australia it's now. We should take it close you would think. I'm looking for a strong performance from Mills and Southee. Both are tall and should bowl well on the Perth wicket.

I would still say Katich an Warner is a perfect opening pair
Katich can take it easy rotate strike while Warner is slogging.
Then Katich can also score quickly if needed.
Marsh drops down somewhere into the middle order asi think theres more chance of katich opening an going on to get 100 than marsh opening an getting a 100.

I don't like the idea of 5 bowlers in the side, it puts even more pressure on our top-order especially against Tait, Johnson, Hilfenhaus & Bracken. Patel shouldn't be anywhere near the WACA, because the way he bowls, he's easily gonna be carted for 70+. I think we probably should bring in Diamanti, he seems a similar bowler to Bracken, with the cutters and slower balls, it's a style that works better overseas than in New Zealand, proven by Bracken's record in NZ. I would probably also bring Cumming into the side for the match.

My Team

McCullum
Guptill
Taylor
Fulton
Cumming
Broom
Elliott
Vettori
Diamanti
Mills
Southee

Quiney ffs. he has is the best one day opener in the country by a mile my one day team

Quiney
Hopes
Ponting
D.Hussey
A.Symonds
L.Carselidine (He is a freak)
C.White
L.Ronchi
D.Nannes
S.Harwood
N.Bracken

12th man doherty

13 Mike Hussey
14.aaron bird (If proven his action is legit) if not ryan harris
15. B.Laughin

I would still say Katich an Warner is a perfect opening pair
Katich can take it easy rotate strike while Warner is slogging.
Then Katich can also score quickly if needed.
Marsh drops down somewhere into the middle order asi think theres more chance of katich opening an going on to get 100 than marsh opening an getting a 100.

Actually that sounds like a good idea. Marsh then would add some handy hitting to the middle order.

My 11 for today.

McCullum
Guptill
Cumming
Taylor
Fulton
Elliot
Mills
Vettori
Southee
O'Brien
Patel

Crew, who's your fifth bowler? Surely Elliot can't be relied on for 10 overs. He's handy, but he's not a front liner. Some days he'll give you a great spell and may bowl close to 10 if the conditions suit, but on a flat pitch he should be handled relatively easy. I'd like to see Patel play because if there's some extra bounce he'll be a handful. Australia played Botha pretty poorly and he's reasonably mediocre. If he can do it so can Patel. Patel needs to be used like Botha, he didn't bowl too late in the innings, he bowled throughout the middle. None of this spinner at the death business again. We tried it, it failed horribly.

Cumming seems more suited to 3 then Fulton. Fulton's played at 5 for New Zealand a lot. I don't think that order matters too much. With Ryder out we need to select a top order player in his place. Broom wouldn't be a bad selection at 5 but Cumming seems in good form and has experience. They also made him miss the final of the State Shield so he should at least get a chance I feel.

Botha's off break is fairly average, but it's the other delivery that caught the batsmen underprepared. Some might call it the 'elbow ball' but let's not go there. The point is that Patel doesn't have a doosra, so it's not exactly a direct comparison.

my team for today if i was picking from the squad

Marsh
Hopes
Ponting
Dav Hussey
Clarke
Mike Hussey
Cam White
Brad Haddin
Johnson
Tait
Bracken

Where is Warner?

My team:
Marsh
Haddin
Ponting
Clarke
Warner
Mussey
Dussey
Hopes
Johnson
Bracken
Tait/Hilfy/whoever

Not even sure who's in our squad. I want Krejza and Katich.

Cricinfo has the same side as Friday but Hilfy dropped for Tait. Would prefer to put Hopes at 7 and drop Dussey off and play 4 seamers.
But assuming we go with that side then I would rearrange the batting a bit
Warner
Marsh
Ponting
Clarke
Hussey
Haddin
Dussey
Hopes
Johnson
Bracken
Tait

Dussey can hit them big so lets see him in the number 7 spot where he hopefully won't be needed to rebuild an inns.

Aussies must be rotating bowlers. Hilfy was easily the best bowler in the last game yet he gets dropped.

I would say Cumming could bowl 2-4 overs in this match, he did bowl a great spell of 1/17 of 10 overs in the State Shield, if he can even only go for 17 off 4 overs i'd be happy with it.

It's not likely we will bowl Australia out for anything under 250 here. We need batting depth if we're going to beat Australia, because it's absolutely unlikely our top 4 are going to do anything during this series, one of them might turn up for a game if we're really lucky. Otherwise the team they are considering isn't going to get anything above 200 with the bat IMO.

Unless we get real lucky, Australia will win easily by 150+ runs today.

Users who are viewing this thread