New Zealand in Australia Nov-Dec 2008 Feb 2009

We really need to stop throwing players away after one bad series. Also when we do go for a new player I would rather it was someone with at least some domestic experience. I think O'Brien and Diamanti's call ups were an ok choice but Boult should have been given more time.

I am all for trying out some very young blood when they show promise (Southee) but when a lot of your team is young you need some experience in there with it.

My team for the first ODI

1: Guptill
2: McCullum
3: Fulton
4: Taylor
5: Broom
6: Elliot
7: Diamanti
8: Vettori
9: Mills
10: Southee
11: O'Brien

Batting looks thin without Ryder. I am not sure they will use Patel at Perth if they do it would have to be for one of the quicks batting is to thin otherwise and after Boult's performance today it would be a risky choice to use him.

That's my point. He needs time. I didn't say he's a bad player. Just a bad selection. From the scorecard it seemed he lacked control. He did get an early wicket. He's probably nervous. Same eleven for the first ODI? With Southee in for Boult. O'Brien has more experience. I'd rather he played.

Maybe Gillespie needed to be kept. I thought he was horrible in the WI series but he wasn't that bad really. He bowled better than Southee to be fair.

Yeah I think NZ will keep the same eleven, except Southee will come in for Boult. Although I can't see Southee doing too well in this series. Boult will play atleast one game.

If we end up 3-0 down we may as well use players like Boult to give them some games.

This should be a really close series. Closer then previous Aus V NZL series.

Will Styris or Oram be back before the end of this series?

Hopefully. It's my understanding that Oram will be flown over to replace Diamanti once he's fit Styris seems a way off.

As I said before our thrashing from SA, the NZ batting certainly will cause some problems for our current bowling attack. If our batters continue the form they are in then the Kiwis will win.

Katich has pushed his claims for selection in this series after he scored 143 off 150 balls, including 11 fours and 6 sixes. He played in a big part in the final session in which we scored 190 off it.

Katich would be awesome for the middle order, we need someone that can actually play spin not get bogged down. Clarke certainly will want to perform as we probably need to get Symonds in there somewhere and Watson if he comes back. Still would love a big hitter at 7 but can't get them in or find one for that matter.
So I would try
Warner
Marsh
Ponting
Clarke
Katich
Hussey
Haddin
Spinner
Tait/Johnson
Hilfy
Bracken

Hopes unlucky to miss out but I would like to see more of Warner.

Yeah, sounds good actually. I like Hussey down at 6. How do you guys reckon Warner would go at 6/7 with a license to just swing? If that's the case we have something like this;

Katich
Marsh
Ponting
Clarke
Haddin
Hussey
Warner
Hopes
Krejza
Hilfy/Lee when fit
Bracken

I find that really strong, as we have a solid top order, then Haddin to come in and pick up the pace at 5, and if theirs a mini collapse we have Hussey to steer us back in the right direction and Warner to hammer them late. Might not be such a good idea as he is an opener, but you never know.

Or we take out Hopes for Mitch or Lee when he's fit. Because our bowling is a little short their.

Last edited:
I like him at the top to get us those flying starts but he certainly could work at 7 with Haddin into opening. If Henriques could get his act together then we would have an all rounder that can hit it big. Right now we seem to have the all rounders that need time to get in before hitting it big.

Yeah, Henriques could be a surprise selection but I feel not for another year. He needs to step up to the plate in domestic cricket next year and keep his bowling tighter - He goes for too many runs.

I know I was saying Haddin opening earlier a few days back but I've had other ideas flow through my mind. I know you want him up their for those quick starts, but I would be happy with Katich/Marsh then Haddin at 5 to pick up the run rate if we fall behind. But either way Haddin or Katich at 5 it will both have it's plus and minuses. With Haddin at 5 we have a hard hitting middle order player, something everyone was calling for after Clarke, Hussey and Dussey were going slow, or if he opens we have a chance of getting off to a great start. Katich can hit big and at 5 he has time to play himself in too.

But then again, Hussey showed in Perth he can hit big when he plays himself in. He seemed like his old self in the over he got out and I think he got some confidence back. It's been a while since he has played his top One Day innings where he picks off singles and still hammers 4's and 6's later in the innings and I feel that innings will make him realise he can still do it, so keeping him at 5 may not be the worst option.

Their are a lot of choices really, do we back Hussey to be able to score quick again at 5? Or do we put him down to 6 and hope he can start hitting from the word go, especially when he has Warner to fall back on if we play him at 7. If we open with Warner, do we play Katich at 5 or 7? Or do we open with Haddin? I prefer opening with Haddin or Katich, with which ever player didn't open at 5, and Warner at 7. I really want to see how that works.

If we even want one more option, it could be to play Haddin or Katich at 4 and Clarke at 5. That also has a lot of bonuses and negatives. Haddin at 4 means that if Katich and Marsh are a little slow he can still have time to hit towards the end of the power play overs if we lose 2 early wickets. Katich at 4 leaves him with plenty of time to play himself in before hitting big, something he can do with time on his hands. If he opens he has pressure to play shots earlier because of the power play overs.

Last edited:
I just feel Haddin is more useful when the field is up as he can hit it big but hes certainly not a consistent big hitter like Morkel. Hes more one of those guys that chips over the infield. Hence in the opening 10 overs he would have 2 men out giving him lots of room to clear guys and probably 5 more overs straight after with 3 men out.

It is quite a jump to score over a run a ball at the international level which is why we are seeing Dussey and White struggling to consistently score at their domestic rates. Add to that Katich would be better for collapses and one of the better players of spin pushes him into my middle order.

Still in saying that I'd stick with Warner at the top to see more of what he can do as opener.

On Henriques I definitely wasn't calling for him to picked his batting and bowling aren't up to it yet, just thinking how great he would be if he lived up to his potential.

Users who are viewing this thread