New Zealand in Australia Nov-Dec 2008 Feb 2009

Dropped on about 80, it's not like McCullum greatly changed his game to get a hundred, just played with a bit more luck.

Maybe once he got to 50+. At the start he was pretty slow. Had a 60 strike rate for most of the innings. When it got near the end of course he was going to hit the ball in the air more.

And Cricket Australia scorecard i'm viewing.

Bailey and Langer wouldn't look out of place in our middle order. Langer we know values his wicket and hes going at nearly a run a ball while Bailey has produced a more fighting knock. Got the power hitting of Henriques and Christian to come then Paine to sure things up should things not go to plan.

Looks good for the PM's XI. Langer in the form of his afterlife and Bailey is starting to accelerate. He can hit the ball extremely hard, but building an innings is often where he lets himself down.

Langer's retired :/

Boult's been poor. Far too expensive. O'Brien average. Mills has only bowled 5 for some reason. Better not be another injury. Patels still has 3 overs. I guess Vettori wanted to give Elliot a few overs so maybe the better bowlers won't all bowl 10.

Good time for Bailey to finally start building an inns then with one of the selectors watching. Great knock from Langer just couldn't stay there to the end, maybe giving Henriques a chance to do something with the bat for once...

We've lost. Probably due to Patel in the end. 2 sixes in his last over and dropped a catch. Pretty disappointed. He bowled really well til then. Vettori had him bowling too late in the innings again but it's a tour match and he's entitled to take such gambles. At least we know now not to do it in the real stuff.

Boult was horrible. Seems like a bad selection.

Last edited:
Sitting on 3/218 after 40 overs, I think the damage had been done long before Patel was bowling in the death. It's strange seeing as they had the early wickets and only needed to crack that 4th wicket partnership a bit sooner to turn the game on its ear. Vettori did appear to try a number of bowling options, but just lacked a bowler with enough strike power on the day.

Patel shouldn't have been bowling at the death really. Did get 2 wickets earlier so not too bad.
Very nice 100 by Bailey a real good time to produce your first OD 100. Henriques did some good hitting there.

Patel never should be bowling at the death. Diamanti should hopefully play in the actual ODI matches. He looked really good in his batting and bowling in the CD vs Aucks match. But international is that step ahead. so we would have to see. Not sure if Boults ready yet.

We've lost. Probably due to Patel in the end. 2 sixes in his last over and dropped a catch. Pretty disappointed. We bowled really well til then. Vettori had him bowling too late in the innings again but it's a tour match and he's entitled to take such gambles. At least we know now not to do it in the real stuff.

Boult was horrible. Seems like a bad selection.

Give he some time, jeez it was his first game for NZ.

Except for Wagner, Napier and Mascarenhas he is the best bowler in domestic cricket.

My nets mega slow, so cbf checking the scorecard. All I wanna know is how my man Hughesy went? I see Henriques must of gone alright.

Give he some time, jeez it was his first game for NZ.

That's my point. He needs time. I didn't say he's a bad player. Just a bad selection. From the scorecard it seemed he lacked control. He did get an early wicket. He's probably nervous. Same eleven for the first ODI? With Southee in for Boult. O'Brien has more experience. I'd rather he played.

Maybe Gillespie needed to be kept. I thought he was horrible in the WI series but he wasn't that bad really. He bowled better than Southee to be fair.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread