New Zealand in Australia Nov-Dec 2008 Feb 2009

Picking Symonds is the latest master-stroke in the selectors' collection.

Let's pick a guy who was dropped for disciplinary reasons not long ago and has been batting significantly worse than any of our test batsmen (on better pitches and at home rather than in India) because we lost a test series.

The 'we need Roy' attitude is ridiculous. I've said it before and I'll say it again - Andrew Symonds is an average test cricketer and I'd be much happier with several others. His 80 runs at 13.33 are poor for a tailender. There's a guy playing for South Australia who has scored 616 runs at 102.66, and although I'm not going to be jumping on the Klinger for test cricket bandwagon so soon, he deserves it 7.7 times more than Symonds does.

Embarrassing.

Smith breaks the mini partnership between Mills and How and now hes got Southee. Good to see him getting some wickets should do his confidence some good.

I wonder why Henriques hasn't bowled again, oh well Hazlewood back on hope he can get one more wicket to end a good start for him.

I think How betrays the true nature of the pitch at Sydney, as we've seen a fair few big scores this year. Not good signs from NZ, as the Gabba may well seam around more.

Smith breaks the mini partnership between Mills and How and now hes got Southee. Good to see him getting some wickets should do his confidence some good.

I wonder why Henriques hasn't bowled again, oh well Hazlewood back on hope he can get one more wicket to end a good start for him.

Our bowling changes and selections are messed up but good to see Smith get some wickets and Lambert pick up another 5fer. Khawaja opening the batting, good to see. I wanted to watch Smith and Hazlewood bowl when I go but oh well I get to watch us bat :)

Good Innings by Jamie, lets hope this is a sign that he is gonna have a good series. :clap

We seriously can't consider going into the 1st test against Australia without an extra batsman, I can't believe the other 10 batsman couldn't get 100 runs between themselves against what is a C-Grade NSW attack.

I hope that Bracewell makes one good decision during his coaching tenure and brings Fulton into the XI for the 1st test...but I highly doubt it.

Let's pick a guy who was dropped for disciplinary reasons not long ago and has been batting significantly worse than any of our test batsmen (on better pitches and at home rather than in India) because we lost a test series.

The 'we need Roy' attitude is ridiculous. I've said it before and I'll say it again - Andrew Symonds is an average test cricketer and I'd be much happier with several others. His 80 runs at 13.33 are poor for a tailender. There's a guy playing for South Australia who has scored 616 runs at 102.66, and although I'm not going to be jumping on the Klinger for test cricket bandwagon so soon, he deserves it 7.7 times more than Symonds does.

Embarrassing.

Well as my signature gives away - I agree with you. Shane Watson should feel very harshly done by if he gets dropped for Symonds. Hopefully Symonds is just cover for Clarke though - but geez they could have picked someone a bit more in form. You mention Klinger, Dave Hussey's been decent and is a quality player. Pomersbach would even be worth a punt. But no 'We need Roy'...

And I can just see it now, Symonds might make say 30 off 15 balls of reckless batting tomorrow night and the selectors will think he's good to go.

Or the selectors play him because they are so worried about playing under the 'spirit of cricket' that they want him to bowl 15 overs of tame off spin just because it takes 2 minutes an over...:rolleyes:

Embarrassing.

Cant agree with this mate. He was an average test cricketer about 18 months ago. I reckon his form in the last 12-18 months is good enough to prove that he is a quality batsmen. His career average is 44 and since Ashes 06 he has made 1000+ runs at at average of 72. Now if thats not enough to warrant a place in the squad , I dont know what is.

In the past , he has been reckless and just didnt know how to play a test innings. But again in the last 12-18 months he has proved beyond any doubt that he is a test cricketer and can play a long innings to save us from trouble. Eg. 150 vs poms @ G , 150 vs India in BG trophy , couple of knocks in the windies etc... Add his useful bowling and his brilliant fielding to the mix, you get a player that any captain would love to have in a team.

I know he hasnt done much in last few state games but I doubt he wouldve lost all his talent in 6 weeks. The bloke can play and we are a better team when we have Roy in the team.

I am not saying his form is irrelevant. Watson deserve to play in the first 2 tests against kiwis atleast. But Symo deserve to be in the squad becuase I think he should get the first crack if theres a chance (if Clarke is unfit).

Our bowling changes and selections are messed up but good to see Smith get some wickets and Lambert pick up another 5fer. Khawaja opening the batting, good to see. I wanted to watch Smith and Hazlewood bowl when I go but oh well I get to watch us bat :)

It looks like Casson didn't bowl because he too has food poisoning. I guess the leggie was more dangerous than Hauritz so they stuck with him. Or of course my earlier theory. But at least we know why he didn't bowl.

Symonds certainly didn't deserve a call up based on his Shield form but his recent Test form would have been enough along with his part timer bowling and fielding. Take out the latter two and I suspect Dave Hussey would have been called up.

I would bring David Hussey in before I bring in Symonds. David Hussey has the same hitting power, but more patience. He is in great form and is a handy medium pacer or off-spinner. IIRC he can bowl both.

I hope that Bracewell makes one good decision during his coaching tenure and brings Fulton into the XI for the 1st test...but I highly doubt it.

I think there will have to be an injury to a top order batsman for that to happen.

If the Gabba indeed seams around, our bowling attack is much better to exploit that movement.

I dunno, I have a good feeling about this series. I think we're going to lose, but I think we'll put in worthy performances and run the Aussies closeish in one of the games. I think Southee will pick up a big haul in one of the games, probably the first.

Not a bad effort by Hughes just couldn't go on to 100. O'Brien again the pick of the Kiwi bowlers getting our two youngsters. Hopefully Henriques goes on with this start.

If the Gabba indeed seams around, our bowling attack is much better to exploit that movement.
No doubt, but due to the batting problems, they would not be comfortable even if they bowled Australia out for 300. They aren't even really toe to toe with these teenagers yet, though I give them credit enough to play better than they have so far.

I guess it's always going to be an uphill charge no matter how they go about their cricket here, because it's only a two match series. Teams really should play two tour matches, but that becomes a bit comical for such a short tour.

Cant agree with this mate. He was an average test cricketer about 18 months ago. I reckon his form in the last 12-18 months is good enough to prove that he is a quality batsmen. His career average is 44 and since Ashes 06 he has made 1000+ runs at at average of 72. Now if thats not enough to warrant a place in the squad , I dont know what is.

In the past , he has been reckless and just didnt know how to play a test innings. But again in the last 12-18 months he has proved beyond any doubt that he is a test cricketer and can play a long innings to save us from trouble. Eg. 150 vs poms @ G , 150 vs India in BG trophy , couple of knocks in the windies etc... Add his useful bowling and his brilliant fielding to the mix, you get a player that any captain would love to have in a team.

I know he hasnt done much in last few state games but I doubt he wouldve lost all his talent in 6 weeks. The bloke can play and we are a better team when we have Roy in the team.

I am not saying his form is irrelevant. Watson deserve to play in the first 2 tests against kiwis atleast. But Symo deserve to be in the squad becuase I think he should get the first crack if theres a chance (if Clarke is unfit).
His 150 against the Poms was his one and only responsible innings. Since then, he's gone back to slogging regardless of the match situation.

He is an aggressive and exciting player, but he is not a fantastic test batsman, and he does not deserve a free ride back after his form. Pure and simple.

Users who are viewing this thread