New Zealand in Australia Nov-Dec 2008 Feb 2009

What are the Aussies going to do with their side?

Katich and Hussey batted well in India, so they will stay.

Ponting batted decently and is captain.

Clarke was OK and is vice captain. Health could be an issue for him. See how he pulls up on Friday...

Hayden showed enough to keep his spot, especially with Jaques injured.

Watson?? Bowled well in patches and played that great innings of 78. He's got the potential and a fine technique, but he needs to show he can score consistently a la Andrew Symonds of a few years ago. It might come down to a "bat off" (sounds suss :D) between them in the All star game on Friday night, the guy who shows the best form gets the first test gig against NZ. Symonds has scored virtually nothing all season and it would look slightly desperate if we put him straight back in, given his lack of form and off field issues. A quick 50 on Friday night though might be all he needs to push his case.

Haddin? Figures show he's still the best keeper batsman we've got. But some of his shots were awful and his keeping wasn't good either. I think he gets another shot against an easier opponent on the true bouncing Aussie pitches to get his confidence back. Otherwise who would it be? Ronchi? Tim Paine? Manou? I don't think any of those are playing well enough or are classy enough to be an obvious answer right now.

Krejza will stay. We need a spinner for the sake of the over rates (sorry to bring that up again fellow Aussie fans :() and to try and get one to 'stick' at the top level.

Then its 3 quicks. And I'd be really surprised if it isn't Lee, Johnson and Stuart Clark. Clark perhaps has a query on him. I personally think they should dismantle the attack after the Ashes next year, and start building some new guys for the future after that. The Ashes would be our last 'important' series for a while. But that's the kind of thinking that got Gillespie and Kasper carted around in England in 2005. Can the English do the same to the aging Lee and Clark next year??

Cameron White?? Goneskies. You can't play at #8 and not offer any significant bowling. He did a job in India, but only because we were in a tight spot and didn't trust Krejza. Now that we do trust him a little, White should be booted.

So the side as I predict:
1. S.Katich
2. M.Hayden
3. R.Ponting (c)
4. M.Hussey
5. M.Clarke (vc)
6. S.Watson/A.Symonds (being at the 'Gabba they might want Watson's extra pace)
7. B.Haddin (wk)
8. J.Krejza
9. B.Lee
10. M.Johnson
11. S.Clark

Tait, Bollinger, Siddle, Noffke are all candidates for the 12th man gig or Symonds/Watson too I guess.

Aus will certainly win over here,Ian Chappel said NZ is a mediocre team as Orham will be missed becasuse of his injury,Aus will bounce back easily.

A lot depends on Mcculum and Vettori. An unleashed Mcculum with good support from blokes like Taylor and the fat guy would give NZ a good chance.

Siddle should be next in line for the pacemen but I'd still play Clark for now.

I've stickyed the thread as it's only a week away now.

Watson will get the series as hes done alright especially with the ball.
No way is Clark under pressure unless he falls off in Aus as well. One bad series in India certainly won't put him out of contention and same with Lee. But I still believe we need to look at swing bowlers to prepare for the Ashes. I really don't see Lee, Clark and Johnson getting 20 wickets in England.

I think by then Siddle will have to be in the team, and Lee is a bit of a question mark I guess. He needs to find his form again. The two South African series will be great preparation for the Ashes.

Sounds like Hilfy could get the call up for the Gabba. I certainly would love to see him up there with his swing.

SMH possibly squad

Possible squad: Ricky Ponting (c), Michael Clarke (vc), Matthew Hayden, Simon Katich, Michael Hussey, Shane Watson, Brad Haddin, Mitchell Johnson, Brett Lee, Jason Krejza, Stuart Clark, Andrew Symonds, Ben Hilfenhaus.

Not much love for Bollinger or Siddle. It's not much of a punishment on Symonds to be dropped for the Indian tour but come back straight in on the back of poor domestic form.

Will the NSW vs. New Zealand match be broadcast on Australian television?

Nah they never broadcast tour matches.

Great debut so far for Hazlewood with Redmond and probably NZ best batsmen atm in Taylor. Henriques is doing a McGrath with his economy only 9 runs in 8 overs. Other interesting thing is Steven Smith has bowled more overs than Hauritz while Casson hasn't even got a look in.

Pretty disappointing collapse. How's keeping us going himself.

How is good at playing the short ball and pace. I think he'll have a good tour.

Bad batting from the Kiwis apart from How. He's scored way more then half the teams runs. great debut by Hazlewood and awesome bowling by Henriques and Lambert but Smith got hit a bit without a wicket. I'm wondering why we bothered playing Casson if we are gonna bowl smith 16 overs...

They probably want to give him a go with no pressure on.

Our 13 for the Gabba.

Ricky Ponting (c)
Michael Clarke (vc) (subject to fitness)
Stuart Clark
Brad Haddin
Matthew Hayden
Michael Hussey
Mitchell Johnson
Simon Katich
Jason Krejza
Brett Lee
Peter Siddle
Andrew Symonds
Shane Watson

Would have liked Hilfy or Bollinger to exploit the swing at the Gabba. The selectors could get their wish of having 2 all rounders in the side if Clarke doesn't pull up right.

Maybe, but if that was the case we would be better off playing Cockley for Hauritz or Casson. It was a dumb decision which ever way you look at it imo.

Yea probably would have been better going Cockley. Still only the first day, I'm sure Casson will get more of a bowl in the 2nd inns.

Users who are viewing this thread