New Zealand in England

I think a draw is basically certain. There'd have to be some terrible batting, since the pitch is playing very well for what will be the 5th day since there hasn't been much play it's more like a 3rd -4th day.

Vettori was excellent, deserved the hattrick, missed it by the smallest margin. Vaughan was also great, adds to his hundred collection having never got one against us before and will up his modest average vs us. Will be a tough choice for MOTM, but still time to go. My biased vote goes to Vettori for a crucial 48 and 5 wickets, 4 of which being key.

Surprisingly Vaughan averages just 27.75 in Tests against New Zealand. I suppose his 6th entry to the Lord's honours board was bigger moment for him than it looked, he was beating a jinx.

A 40 run lead took us 25 overs longer than the kiwis, we showed no urgency and you'd think it was all about leads with Vaughan. Let's hope his lack of positivity ON THE PITCH doesn't cost us the series like he did against India, although this is New Zealand so the chances are it won't happen.

The middle order didn't help, AS, AC and MV contributed 72% of England's total between them. They also took nearly 500 balls to score their runs, just over 82 overs. A platform was laid by the top order, the side never got out of third gear. I don't think Vaughan's captaincy has a fourth or fifth gear to it, good batsman that he is I still think he's an ordinary captain at best - and 14 of his 24 wins as captain coming against Windies and Bangladesh does nothing to persuade me otherwise. (4 against the kiwis aren't exactly persuasive either, none against Sri Lanka, Pakistan and India says a lot though)

A whitewash of pakistan not mean much to you then? or maybe a series win against Australia?

A 40 run lead took us 25 overs longer than the kiwis, we showed no urgency and you'd think it was all about leads with Vaughan. Let's hope his lack of positivity ON THE PITCH doesn't cost us the series like he did against India, although this is New Zealand so the chances are it won't happen.

The middle order didn't help, AS, AC and MV contributed 72% of England's total between them. They also took nearly 500 balls to score their runs, just over 82 overs. A platform was laid by the top order, the side never got out of third gear. I don't think Vaughan's captaincy has a fourth or fifth gear to it, good batsman that he is I still think he's an ordinary captain at best - and 14 of his 24 wins as captain coming against Windies and Bangladesh does nothing to persuade me otherwise. (4 against the kiwis aren't exactly persuasive either, none against Sri Lanka, Pakistan and India says a lot though)

One of the main differences was the fact that McCullum scored a run-a-ball 97. That makes a huge impact, the only player I thought was slow for us, was Strauss.

Jamie How is looking good. Couple of wickets this morning, one with the first delivery after a ball change, this ball is swinging, unlike the first ball. Need 3 more before lunch imo. Monty on in the next 2-3 overs.

Strauss could have just cost us the game, he's not been taking the catches cleanly and he just dropped Taylor off of Broad. Vital drop. Simple catch too.

Last edited:
I love GCSEs. England are back in this but need to get them 4 down before lunch to stand a good chance. Still see it heading towards a draw though.

Weird wicket Taylors, wonder if the ump thought it was a catch of lbw.

Good session, Broad bowled realy well, deserved a wicket and had Strauss not put one down he would have had one. Would take a collapse of English size now for the kiwis to throw it away, with their lower order it isn't going to happen. Like to see us pick a up a few more wickets though and build some momentum before the next game. How looks pretty good too, don't really notice him scoring.

Well McCullum's gone to hospital after a blow on the arm. Hope it's broken so he's out for the series.

*takes off England hat*

I do wish him the best really, but the above is my true feelings at the moment.

Personally I think England have to be tighter when it comes to selection. I mean a player like Jimmy Anderson can't be playing international cricket when players like Loye, Key, Hoggard and co. are on the sideline. It makes no sense to me.

And on the earlier comments, I think that Ambrose should stay in the setup because he has largely been faultless with the gloves on, and has shown his batting credentials already

Anderson's a fantastic player, he's just inconsistent. He's the best outfielder in the England team, Collingwoods a better close fielder, but Anderson's one of the best outfielders in the world. His work on the boundary when flicking back that high shot from Oram was awesome, shame his knees touched the boundary. He also gets key wickets of top order batsmen. He got Redmond and McCullum today, 2 pretty key wickets, especially that of McCullum.

Mal Loye's not good enough to be in the test side, no player who's 35 and with little international experience should be considered over the likes of Strauss, Cook, Pietersen, Vaughan, Bell and Collingwood. Hoggard's out of the next test with a broken thumb, Key should be close to the team, but the top order have performed in this test, so should stay as they are. Pietersen, Bell and Collingwood will come good as the series comes on aswell, Pietersen will be a vital member of the side come the SA series, he'll be pumped for that one, and I expect him to make big runs.

Your only good point in the post is the one about Ambrose. He's been fantastic with the gloves, coped well with the Lords slope, maybe was abit too far back, but that's only a small criticism, he's also decent with the bat. There's no reason to drop him.

Personally I think England have to be tighter when it comes to selection. I mean a player like Jimmy Anderson can't be playing international cricket when players like Loye, Key, Hoggard and co. are on the sideline. It makes no sense to me.

And on the earlier comments, I think that Ambrose should stay in the setup because he has largely been faultless with the gloves on, and has shown his batting credentials already

Loye? Very mediocre player. Won't play for England again.

Despite his failure with the bat, Ambrose's keeping has been very solid. Given time I think he could make the position his own.

Loye? Very mediocre player. Won't play for England again.

Despite his failure with the bat, Ambrose's keeping has been very solid. Given time I think he could make the position his own.

Ok, maybe Loye is a bit past it. How can you say Ambrose has failed with the bat when he hit two milestones in his first two games, fair enough, he hasn't exactly been marvelous with the bat in this game, but he only had one innings and he wasn't the only England player to get out cheaply.

On another topic great to see Strauss get back into the groove of things. I was one of the people that wanted Strauss in the team and since that massive score against the Kiwi's in Napier he has seemed to hit a groove, lets hope this summer will be a good one for him

Users who are viewing this thread