New Zealand in England

Although Ambrose's batting is slightly above his keeping. I feel his keeping can develop to the point where the keeping becomes the primary, which it should.

Disappointing today that we couldn't force the win and get a test victory at Lords. We haven't won since we beat Bangladesh there in 2005 but full credit to New Zealand though. The likes of How and Flynn batted solidly and resilience was shown by McCullum having taken a nasty blow and coming back to help the Kiwi's get into the saving position.
England stuck to their task well with all the bowlers trying there best in, really, quite good batting conditions. Some the seamers pace were down though and that would have made a difference.

England should still be favorite at Old Trafford where there is plenty of pace and bounce for both seam and spin. Although the bowling attack of New Zealand is pretty good with Martin bowling brilliantly at the moment, Mills is also very accurate, and I think they should stick with Tim Southee since he has talent and ability from what we saw in Napier in the Winter, Oram will get bounce as well out of the Old Trafford pitch and Vettori is also a wily campaigner.

Looking forward to the contest.

Well McCullum's gone to hospital after a blow on the arm. Hope it's broken so he's out for the series.

Wow, way to go asshole. You really want to take away one of our best players when we have an already inexperienced and new side? Wow, that's low. Really pathetic.

I think with Oram's hundred we well and truly deserved the draw and infact, i'd say we could have set the game up for a win had we had the time left. I think we take more out of that game then England

I think we take more out of that game then England

I agree. England's batting wobbled in the middle order after Vettori's brilliance proving what a good bowler he has become to be able to take wickets on an unhelpful pitch at that point. Of course the inexperience batting line up did come through as well (as I have said above).

Ok, maybe Loye is a bit past it. How can you say Ambrose has failed with the bat when he hit two milestones in his first two games, fair enough, he hasn't exactly been marvelous with the bat in this game, but he only had one innings and he wasn't the only England player to get out cheaply.

He failed with the bat in this test, that's all I meant.

Wow, way to go asshole. You really want to take away one of our best players when we have an already inexperienced and new side? Wow, that's low. Really pathetic.

While he does make the Test series a better contest, I too would have liked to see it broken because I want England to win. Anyway it was an inevitable and perhaps deserved blow for a technically poor batsman.

I think with Oram's hundred we well and truly deserved the draw and infact, i'd say we could have set the game up for a win had we had the time left. I think we take more out of that game then England

I agree completely: England couldn't bowl out such an average batting line-up on the 5th day of a test match. That is appalling, frankly, especially considering the fact that the only decent batsmen the Kiwis have are Vettori, McCullum and Oram. It really shows up our bowlers - notably Panesar who just looked so innocuous inthe majority of his deliveries.

It wasn't the 5th day. About the end of 3rd, beginning of the 4th in real terms. As for Panesar he could've had 5 wickets in that match and bowled well. Stop being so pessimistic. It wasn't that bad a performance by England.

God I hate all those fans who are so negative

:D

We were pretty bad but then going knowing for most of the game you can't win completely changes our mindsets, all about winning in the next game.

It wasn't the 5th day. About the end of 3rd, beginning of the 4th in real terms. As for Panesar he could've had 5 wickets in that match and bowled well. Stop being so pessimistic. It wasn't that bad a performance by England.
Remembering also that this was a Lord's wicket. Best prepared square in the world probably. As long as you consider best prepared to mean prepared to last 5 days that is! In my opinion not the best way to prepare a wicket, but its all about the monies these days and wickets are prepared to almost guarantee 5 days of cricket rather than a good game.

I think we should play Tremlett next match. Old Trafford is fast and bouncy which suits his bowling perfectly. Also looking at him in this match he completely had the still-great Hick in a tangle. He was decent in the India Tests but due to injuries and what not he seems to have been moved to the backbenches from the fans' point of view at least. Partially this may be because there are still lingering memories of his appalling performance in certain one-dayers, most prominently that one in Australia where he was so clearly unfit. As for who should be dropped... well I'll try and dodge that one. Anderson was the far superior bowler in the first Test but Broad contributed well with the bat. As a bowler Anderson was the better so I'd prefer him but I do like Broad. Maybe Panesar then? Though that does leave us with a lack of variety in our attack... hmm this is difficult.

Keep it as it is. We've not lost with this XI, we were in the driving seat in the last test, and would have probably won if we had another day, and if it wasn't for the resilience of Oram and Flynn we'd have won on the final day. Tremlett's not actually THAT fast, he just gets bounce. Harmison and Flintoff would be much better options, if they were on form/fit. Broad is the future of our attack, bowls with good pace, and takes wickets at key times. Anderson will be good at Old Trafford, it's his home ground, and if it swings he'll be mightly dangerous with swing, pace and bounce. Keep the same XI. Chopping and changing every game won't help the team.

I don't understand Tremlett's selection to be honest. The risk of injury is always there especially since he's just been injured with a back spasm.

He's struggled a fair bit with injury already this season iirc. Would of thought it might have been worth taking Onions along although my guess is that it will be the same XI anyway.

He's struggled a fair bit with injury already this season iirc. Would of thought it might have been worth taking Onions along although my guess is that it will be the same XI anyway.

Onions for me (I won't like my dinner if I said that out loud :p). He has taken wickets for the England Lions over the past year and he would be a better replacement than Tremlett as a bowler and also duo to Tremlett's fitness.

Users who are viewing this thread