New Zealand in England

But if he span it as much as Monty or Powar, he'd be a lot more effective.

I <3 Monty Panesar. What a legend. I suppose us being bowled out quickly works as an advantage now, what with Oram struggling with injury, and Flynn still struggling. Monty could give us a chance of winning !!

England will be 6 down by tonight. Only hope is Strauss is in good form.

England won't win this, Vettori will have a field day, I've not been more certain about something like that. They've actually just quickened up the process by bowling New Zealand out quickly, more time to bat.

Good work from Monty though.

As much as I hate to suggest axing players on the basis of a single performance (Although of course it is more than just one), it has to be done. Bell and Collingwood should be the ones to go. Treat them like Strauss was - except only let them back in when they sparkle in domestic cricket.

As for replacements, well Key is averaging just under 50 and has international experience as well as being one of the best in the world at facing pace bowling, making him an excellent proposition for the South African series. Matt Prior is the highest scorer in First Class cricket and reluctantly I'd be willing to have him back, although I hate the continual change of keepers. In fact Read's also been doing fantastically well. Like Prior, Bopara's also already scored over 500 runs so is a good proposition but again like Prior it is possibly too soon for him to return. Luke Wright is doing well this season but he needs to improve his consistency in First Class cricket as his averages are still way below par. Definitely one for the future.

While Key would be my first choice, David Sales is my second. He averages around 40 but that's hurt by his poor start to his career. In reality he averages around 50. Here are his stats for the last three country seasons as well as hundereds/fifties. This season he is also doing brilliantly while it should be noted he is a big scorer - one of the few Englishmen around nowadays to have scored a 300.

2005 - 47.86 3/6
2006 - 48 2/5
2007 - 55.36, 3/7

Key, Sales, Wright all have to be in with a shout for a batting spot. Prior does also as purely a batsman, which he said he'd be willing to do for England. However I feel all the Bell/Collingwood bashing is a bit unfair considering Pietersen averages less than them in the past year and is seemingly being allowed another chance.

If England reaches the target of 294 runs, it will be a record breaking effort. They have enough time to do it. And the way it has been going, I am expecting some wickets to fall today.

We won't win, unless Strauss and Cook put on 100. Vaughan and Pietersen need runs also, as frankly we can't rely on Bell, Collingwood and Ambrose. Changes need to be made to the batting order, we've failed on to many occasions, especially in recent times. Bell and Collingwood play not out 50's to win us the game, and my view may change slightly, but under pressure our players have failed to play for a long time. Get Wright and Bopara in.

Poor batting by Kiwis. They have blown chance to win series in England. Hope Montys critics will be silent for 3 matches now. and then start again.

Poor batting by Kiwis. They have blown chance to win series in England. Hope Montys critics will be silent for 3 matches now. and then start again.

Even if they won this test, they would still not be sure of a series win. The Trent Bridge test is still to come.

Bell must be the first name on the batting list to be in jeopardy of an axing. He doesn't do it under pressure and can't carry on his good starts. He's too unreliable. At least Colly and get dug in.

Key, Sales, Wright all have to be in with a shout for a batting spot. Prior does also as purely a batsman, which he said he'd be willing to do for England. However I feel all the Bell/Collingwood bashing is a bit unfair considering Pietersen averages less than them in the past year and is seemingly being allowed another chance.

Well, I did consider the idea of dropping him, especially after his constant whining about joining the IPL. However he has proven himself as someone who can rise to the occasion. Bell, however is mostly good when the going's good and we can't be having that. As for Collingwood, he's woefully out of form.

Pietersen's hundred in the 2nd test of the away NZ series keeps him in the team i think. He's a proven match winner, and is just out of form, he's still averaging high 30's in the past year, which is still pretty good considering hes in a slump.

We've started well, New Zealand don't like being favourites, some awful bowling from Mills, but some nice shots, and some luck off Vettori. There's still a chance of winning I think

Close to a 50 opening partnership here. Cook and Strauss are capable of making 100 partnerships, so hopefully they can do that. Another hundred from Vaughan and a half century from Pietersen would get us home and to an undeserved test win.

Users who are viewing this thread