New Zealand in England

If England want to improve, they must drop Stuart Broad and pick Chris Tremlett, who is a far better Test bowler. Tremlett is taller, quicker and a better bowler.

You can't drop Anderson! As much as it pains me to say it it has to be Broad although I would drop him for Bell but Colly has this need for an op apparently so maybe him. Broads batting can make up for a batsmen being gone anyway, I mean Flintoff, Ambrose and Broad isn't a bad 6,7,8 especially when Sidebottom can bat too.

We shouldn't drop anyone! Broad deserves his place on batting alone at the moment. We underestimate his little knock of 20 in the first innings. He saved us from following on andmade our total a little bit more respectable. He should not be dropped.

evertonfan added 4 Minutes and 22 Seconds later...

We'll beat South Africa. I can guarantee that. You can quote me on it all you want in the hope that you can rub it in if we get beat but that won't happen. We've been underperforming since the Ashes in 2005 and I absolutely and utterly believe that we've got another amazing series performance in us, and it will come against Graeme Smith's side. What a legend that man is by the way, I can't wait to see him play in England again.

As was expected really, we got the job done in the 4th innings. Vettori didn't do much and without him NZ are nothing special, so rightfully so, we won. I don't see the point in changing anything for the next game. Broad is doing OK and his batting was key and Anderson was brilliant on the first day. Even though he wasn't taking wickets at the time, he roughed up the batsmen (Flynn and Oram come to mind) which is something we've been lacking for a little while.

Great to see all of the top 6 getting some time in the middle in the second innings as well, hopefully this can ignite the likes of Bell and Collingwood to push and get some bigger scores.

All this talk of chopping and changing is nonsense. The most successful sides are the ones which have a consistency in selection and change at most, one person. We need to stick with these guys for a while. Sure I didn't agree with dropping Hoggard, but now its done its pointless changing it again. I'm fed up of seeing people saying 'bring in Bopara, bring in Wright, bring in Key.' Bopara looked out of his depth in the winter and Wright is simply not good enough with the bat yet, both need more time in domestic cricket to really score some runs. Quite why some people think Rob Key should be coming in to the middle order is also a bit weird. Sure if we need an opener then knock on his door, but the likes of Owais Shah deserves a chance in the Test side if the chance arises.

We shouldn't drop anyone! Broad deserves his place on batting alone at the moment. We underestimate his little knock of 20 in the first innings. He saved us from following on andmade our total a little bit more respectable. He should not be dropped.

evertonfan added 4 Minutes and 22 Seconds later...

We'll beat South Africa. I can guarantee that. You can quote me on it all you want in the hope that you can rub it in if we get beat but that won't happen. We've been underperforming since the Ashes in 2005 and I absolutely and utterly believe that we've got another amazing series performance in us, and it will come against Graeme Smith's side. What a legend that man is by the way, I can't wait to see him play in England again.

yeah why change a winning team, anyway one should alter things of winning side and appreciate them.

NZ aren't such a poor side even if they lost few players recently and one player in the match itself.

But England cannot win series against South Africa for sure, South Africa is a far more better side than England. .make as many changes as one wants but they won't be able to take away the Series. England might win one match but not series. :onpc

I'd play 2 spinners in the next game and rest Oram for the ODIs. I'd also bring in Mason for O'Brien and Southee for Mills. If Flynn is injured, bring in Fulton.

Last edited:
I'd play 2 spinners in the next game and rest Oram for the ODIs. I'd also bring in Mason for O'Brien and Southee for Mills. If Flynn is injured, bring in Fulton.

Agree with the two spinner in the side as well as Mason and Southee, but keep Mills and Oram in, just drop Marshall (he is just not international standard) and Bat Vettori at 7. We can't win the series, No point selecting Fulton who unless he has improved his technique and he doesn't get out through his lazy looking shots and footwork, I would rather wait till we take on Australia, to select a batsman like Jesse Ryder or Greg Todd.

If England want to improve, they must drop Stuart Broad and pick Chris Tremlett, who is a far better Test bowler. Tremlett is taller, quicker and a better bowler.

I have to agree, England seem to be picking Broad for his batting and his three expensive wickets this series aren't enough. New Zealand aren't one of the better Test sides, if he can't get wickets against them then he will probably struggle against better batting line-ups.

As for those suggesting his batting has in some way earned a reprieve, nonsense. We are playing four bowlers and at the moment effectively playing with three. Anderson, Panesar and Sidebottom have all picked up 9 or 10 wickets this series at less than 30 each. If one or more gets injured or hits bad form is Broad going to take up where they left off? Not given a Test career average of 46.92.

Tremlett - 3 Tests, 13 wkts @ 29.69 (BB 3/12, SR 66.08, ER 2.70)
Broad - 5 Tests, 12 wkts @ 46.92 (BB 3/54, SR 92.50, ER 3.04)

Broad averages about double what Tremlett does, but he's in the side to BOWL. His runs were handy in the second Test, maybe if he'd taken a wicket or two then the NZ first innings total wouldn't have been so big. Time is on his side, he can come back when he's ready. Some are getting carried away and saying he should be an all-rounder, he's yet to score a Test fifty and has a poor bowling record so far so let him learn to walk before he tries running.

The middle order (4-7) has scored just 151 runs between them at a poor average of 16.78. They are fortunate Panesar and Strauss rescued England, England can't afford to keep collapsing mid innings.

In Test cricket, you must pick someone for their primary skill; for Broad that is bowling and his bowling is not good enough in Test cricket. Stuart Broad's batting alone is nowhere near good enough to keep him in the side, on its own.

Sounds a good ploy for me, we can't bat against spinners, apart from Pietersen. Jeetan Patel was impressive in New Zealand, and certainly had the wool over Ambrose, when round the wicket skidding it on and finding the edge. Mills hasn't impressed me either, he's not looked dangerous enough, but the batting is a useful point.

Watching live yesterday, O'Brien looked like your best bowler, apart from the fact he couldn't catch a cold!

From our point of view, things are rather different than before the 3rd Test down in New Zealand! Strauss' innings was terrific yesterday and looked like he was playing much more naturally than he has in a while.

KP, given the situation, went for the worst 2nd run I've ever seen. However, it may have worked in our favour as it allowed Colly to come in. At the start of his innings he looked horribly scratchy, showing all the signs of being seriously out of nick, but about 2/3rds of the way through, something just seemed to click back into sync and the old Colly could be back.

As was expected really, we got the job done in the 4th innings. Vettori didn't do much and without him NZ are nothing special, so rightfully so, we won. I don't see the point in changing anything for the next game. Broad is doing OK and his batting was key and Anderson was brilliant on the first day. Even though he wasn't taking wickets at the time, he roughed up the batsmen (Flynn and Oram come to mind) which is something we've been lacking for a little while.

Great to see all of the top 6 getting some time in the middle in the second innings as well, hopefully this can ignite the likes of Bell and Collingwood to push and get some bigger scores.

All this talk of chopping and changing is nonsense. The most successful sides are the ones which have a consistency in selection and change at most, one person. We need to stick with these guys for a while. Sure I didn't agree with dropping Hoggard, but now its done its pointless changing it again. I'm fed up of seeing people saying 'bring in Bopara, bring in Wright, bring in Key.' Bopara looked out of his depth in the winter and Wright is simply not good enough with the bat yet, both need more time in domestic cricket to really score some runs. Quite why some people think Rob Key should be coming in to the middle order is also a bit weird. Sure if we need an opener then knock on his door, but the likes of Owais Shah deserves a chance in the Test side if the chance arises.

That's basically exactly what i've been saying over the past couple of days. Some deluded England fans on here seem to think that constantly dropping the axe and ringing the changes will magically change is into a superior team. I think some of the England fans on here need to take a look at themselve and realise that we aren't as good as you may think, and believe it or not, we do have bad performances sometimes.

We don't need to drop anyone, so stop whingeing the lot of you.

it was just poor by new zealnd, 2nd innings was very dissapointing that is not acceptable by international cricketers. new zealand had a geat chance to win the series but now will find it very difficult to even draw the series.

That's basically exactly what i've been saying over the past couple of days. Some deluded England fans on here seem to think that constantly dropping the axe and ringing the changes will magically change is into a superior team. I think some of the England fans on here need to take a look at themselve and realise that we aren't as good as you may think, and believe it or not, we do have bad performances sometimes.

We don't need to drop anyone, so stop whingeing the lot of you.
I'm not an England fan and think you guys need to drop Broad for Tremlett - not so much based on the Test, but I have never thought him ready for Test cricket. It is insanity to want to chop and change the batting line up though.

I think Redmond needs to go, he is just not of Test quality. I don't know who could replace him though, if only that fat idiot wasn't such an idiot.

Users who are viewing this thread