New Zealand in England

Good win for England. They really deserved it after that bowling performance and New Zealand's sub-par bowling in the 4th inning. They're chasing 294 and you're wasting the new ball. Bravo. :rolleyes:

Pietersen should never be dropped, he's our best player technically

I'm sorry, but I don't go along with that for 1 moment. He is (probably) our best batsman at the moment, but a whole lot of that is confidence, self belief and bravado - which is all fine, but he's possibly the least technically correct of our top order.

england done the job. NZ 2nd innings was not good enough.

He is (probably) our best batsman at the moment, but a whole lot of that is confidence, self belief and bravado - which is all fine, but he's possibly the least technically correct of our top order.

The FC average of 50.71 shows that he is just a genuinly good batsman and not going through prolonged good form.

The FC average of 50.71 shows that he is just a genuinly good batsman and not going through prolonged good form.

I never implied that. I just highlighted the fact that there is a difference between a good batsman and a technically correct one. Being one doesn't imply the other!

I never implied that. I just highlighted the fact that there is a difference between a good batsman and a technically correct one. Being one doesn't imply the other!
Certainly. However, it is interesting to note what constitutes a technically correct batsman. Is it the MCC textbook, or is it the technique which puts least strain on the natural attributes of the batsman.

Pietersen may not follow the MCC Guidelines for batting technique, but that doesn't mean he has the worst technique for batting. He's got the best average of all the top 6, meaning that he's got the best technique for avoiding getting out, and hitting runs. His technique works in ODi's and Test Matches, and until recently he had an average of above 50 in both forms of the game. He may not be as fluent and have the measured strokeplay of Bell or Vaughan, but i think he's the best suited to his technique and has the best natural technique of all the batsmen, but more importantly, he has a technique that clearly works for him.

Pietersen may not follow the MCC Guidelines for batting technique, but that doesn't mean he has the worst technique for batting. He's got the best average of all the top 6, meaning that he's got the best technique for avoiding getting out, and hitting runs.

I agree with the sentiment of your post, but he does not necessarily have the best technique because he is the most successful because he may have the advantage of superior hand/eye coordination.

I agree with the sentiment of your post, but he does not necessarily have the best technique because he is the most successful because he may have the advantage of superior hand/eye coordination.

I fully agree with that.

It is an interesting point as what constitutes a technically good batsman. I admit I have always taken it to mean MCC-correct - foot movement, high left elbow, head still and all the rest of it. Batsman like Trescothink and Pietersen are good but not technically correct, whereas the likes of Vaughan and Bell are more so.

Bring on the ODI's. We can perform for a day. Not 4.

Strauss deserved MOTM way more then Panesar. Hundred to win the game in the final innings should be automatic. Not only that, his 60 in the first innings kept them in the game.

Game of two halves really. We were totally on top of England right up until they got us 3 down in that second innings. Then our disrupted batting order really cost us. No Flynn or Oram with Vettori and Mills started a collapse. We tend to go far and away over our quota of injuries during tests.

Vettori was pathetic. Possibly fatigued. The heavy roller seemed to really work. There was far less in the pitch for Vettori than there was in the first innings. Plus it was cold. Very hard for spinners when it's so cold.

South Africa won't give the game away like we did. You guys are seriously going to get thrashed.

Last edited:
Bring on the ODI's. We can perform for a day. Not 4.

Strauss deserved MOTM way more then Panesar. Hundred to win the game in the final innings should be automatic. Not only that, his 60 in the first innings kept them in the game.

Game of two halves really. We were totally on top of England right up until they got us 3 down in that second innings. Then our disrupted batting order really cost us. No Flynn or Oram with Vettori and Mills started a collapse. We tend to go far and away over our quota of injuries during tests. Vettori was pathetic. I can only really put that down to fatigue.

South Africa won't give the game away like we did. You guys are seriously going to get thrashed.

no duh sa will kill england cuz they gave hard time to india so england can expect tough cricket coming up

Our team is terrible, but it's expected. England on the other hand should be thrashing us with all these 40 averaging batsmen etc. I'd rather be a fan of over-performing NZ who lost than a boring to watch England side who are under-performing.

England were much less boring second innings mind you. Their intent - Strauss in particular won England the game. 294 was still a lot of runs to get.

We all know the Saffies will kill us, only hopes really are that Broad has found his feet in tests and performs, KP finds his old form from the last time he played them and Anderson has a good series. I think Broad could go into it quite well if he has a good last test and has sucessin the ODI's. He won't be opening the bowling against McCullum which is a boost!

Any chance of Flintoff being fit? I doubt it but we still haven't replaced him.

Users who are viewing this thread