New Zealand in England

good knock by pietersen... ambrose did good too...now if broad and anderson can build up a good partnership then england will be in a great position...

Exactly as anticipated, when the top order failed (relatively speaking) the middle order needed to step up and be counted. Pietersen wasn't in dire form so his runs weren't a complete surprise, then again neither where the two blobbies at five and six leaving England in the mire. Awful shot by Bell, not too clever footwork by Collingwood and while the top three hardly deserve credit for their dismissals, they're not under pressure, have scored runs in the series and weren't coming in at 86/3.

Hopefully Ambrose has silenced the critics - for the time being. A good innings when needed, a well paced innings providing good support for Pietersen who once again didn't go on to make the big score his ability suggests he should.

I, like Aggers, was interested in the promotion of Anderson. I don't believe Aggers' idea that it was a nightwatchman for Sidebottom, I reckon it was one of three reasons :- 1) Sidebottom was unable to get to the crease in time so Anderson went in his stead, 2) Anderson ASKED if he could have a go at number 9, or 3) Vaughan decided to try something different. Personally I don't believe Vaughan is that imaginative so I suspect Sidebottom was taking a dump or something.

It was probably just about England's day in the end, you could say the two late wickets put the kiwis back in it, but really after 150+ partnership and the new ball you kind of expect a wicket or two. England recovered well from a rubbish position, the kiwis let it slip. Until both sides have had a bat we won't know how good England's total is, I reckon it will at least be competitive.

Jimmy and Broady are both going to make hundreds tommorow, then bowl New Zealand out for under 100......twice.

Good days play, shame I missed almost all of KP's innings, saw him reach his hundred though, I knew he'd come good eventually. He's fired in the 2 most important innings of this series and the last. He scored a vital hundred in New Zealand, and another today. Great to see him back on form, although he wasn't massively out of form. The less said about Bell and Collingwood the better though, awful awful performance. Luke Wright and Ravi Bopara should be in tbh.

As much as I like to see Wright's name mentioned, he isn't a test batsman (in the top 7), ODIs by all means, but not Test cricket.

That is the thing I like about KP, when the pressure is on, (Yesterday, Ashes 2005) he always seems to be a different Player, He concentrates more, does'nt play any silly shots that could get him out.

What a knock, Ambrose gets a mention to. lets hope Broady can do most of the work today because Jimmy, well... erm... he isn't the best tailender we will ever have.

But, overall, was a good day, Im looking forward to today come on England! :)

The ball seems to be doing a lot more today. England bowlers will like that, although it could be misleading since the two batsmen out there dont have the best technique.

If England get around 330 now, it would be good enough.

I can't believe we don't have a wicket after that hour. I'm going to bed. Screw this test cricket bollocks. The amount of times we passed the edge and the amount of runs edged through the slips.

Vettori's captaincy has been very average. Infact, i'm going to say it's been pathetic.

O'Brien hasn't bowled yet this morning. 4-60 yesterday. Why the hell not? He should have opened the bowling this morning. He;s not even first change. Vettori has himself on. Where was the third slip? What's this business with 2 gullys. Why do we have people out on te boundary first thing in the morning to lower order and tail-end batsmen? Why is McCullum at slip? Especially to Vettori over Taylor.

Last edited:
That's twice in one minutes Holding has called him Chris Broad.

Ahh, gets it right now.

Jimmy goes, great knock though and Sidebum can come in and help broad get his century ;)

Why on earth does Jimmy bat below Monty usually? You can clearly see he's a better batsman than our Monts.

As much as I like to see Wright's name mentioned, he isn't a test batsman (in the top 7), ODIs by all means, but not Test cricket.
A bit of a sidetrack, but I tend to think there is a flawed logic employed when someone like Wright is considered as a serious ODI opener, but with barely a even a future claim in Tests. I know they don't exactly have a range of juggernauts, but players who are just barely batsmen don't stand much of a chance of making big scores at international level. Likewise, there's little point having a guy capable of hundreds batting at no. 5 unless you've already got 4 devastators. It's backwards thinking.

James Anderson is unplayable in swinging conditions, brilliant delivery. I knew he'd fire in this series, he's fantastic, and is finally finding some consistency, this has definitely been his most consistent series in an England shirt. Let's hope it continues, definitely one of my favourite players and it's great to see him do well. Come on Jimmy :D

Users who are viewing this thread