New Zealand in England

totally different bowling conditions here, the wickets will still be a bit green when the test matches start and the ball might get a bit of swing

I'm confused as to why you England fans actually care about it, whereas no one in NZ does. I think you're bitter that none of your players took part in the IPL or something? Please tell me it's not something that pathetic? What do you care?

because there is a test series coming up which is why we are paying attension! TBH im quite happy because if it disrupts your progress it makes it even easyer for us in the series

Personally I don't give two hoots about the IPL, I've not followed any games and I won't, no matter who is playing. I'm bothered because its the first step to international cricketers putting money over playing international cricket. If boards let senior players miss the start of a tour how long is it before they let someone miss a test? How long before a series is cancelled because the players want big money in India over playing someone like Bangladesh?

My England XI for Tests :-

Cook
Vaughan (c)
Bell
Pietersen
Collingwood (v.c)
Ambrose (w.k)
Flintoff
Broad
Sidebottom
Panesar
Anderson

12th:Tremlett
Strauss
Swann
Bopara

For the ODIs :-
Cook
Luke Wright
Bell (v.c)
Pietersen
Collingwood (c)
Ambrose (w.k)
Flintoff
Broad
Sidebottom
Panesar [c'mon give him another shot at ODIs]
Anderson

12th:Tremlett
Mustard
Swann
Bopara
Jon Lewis

king colling wood
GALL_MCG_SS2_narrowweb__300x474,0.jpg

My England XI for Tests :-

Cook
Vaughan (c)
Strauss/Key
Bell
Pietersen
Collingwood (v.c)
Ambrose (w.k)
Flintoff
Broad/Hoggard
Sidebottom
Panesar

For me:
Cook
Strauss/Key
Vaughan
Pietersen
Collingwood
Bell
Ambrose
Flintoff
Broad
Sidebottom
Panesar

Key's been performing better than Shah in the early season CC games, and a massive ton against NZ should sit him in good stead. The depth of batting is there, and we still have 4 quality bowlers. Justin Langer think's Flintoff's ready, claiming that his spell against Somerset a few weeks back was one of the fastest and best spells of fast bowling he's ever played against. I think he's fit to play.

I wonder whether it'll be Cook, Strauss and Vaughan, Vaughan retires after next years Ashes and then Key comes in for him.

I don't think it will, i think it'll be Cook and 2 of Strauss/Key/Shah/Denly/Carberry. I think Denly'll be ahead of Carberry in the pecking order by that stage, because he's younger and will be seen as a long term replacement. Key should be the choice though.

I'm a big fan of Joe Denly, and I watch him bat pretty much every week, but he isn't ahead of Carberry in the pecking order. He's a hot prospect but at the moment he is just that. He needs to have another good season this year, afterall last season was his first full season. He needs to learn to stick around when the going is tough and he needs to build on good starts more often.

Will he play for England? I have no doubt, is he anywhere near ready at the moment - No.

He's not even the best batsman Kent have and by a long way. Even if you exclude Key there are better batsmen in the team.

Last edited:
new zealnd have had an interesting day today against essex, there 288/8 at the moment, only 1 player has gotten over 40, that was James Marshall who got 128, this is a team which had McCullum, Vattori and Oram in it, and if the form player is a man who averages 30 at first class level then i worry for them in this series.

Don't get too carried away by lifetime averages, its very hard to improve your average even if you take a leap forward. Last year Marshall averaged over 50 in first class I think.

I'm a big fan of Joe Denly, and I watch him bat pretty much every week, but he isn't ahead of Carberry in the pecking order. He's a hot prospect but at the moment he is just that. He needs to have another good season this year, afterall last season was his first full season. He needs to learn to stick around when the going is tough and he needs to build on good starts more often.

Will he play for England? I have no doubt, is he anywhere near ready at the moment - No.

He's not even the best batsman Kent have and by a long way. Even if you exclude Key there are better batsmen in the team.

I meant by the time Vaughan retires I expect him to be ahead in the pecking order, unless Carberry's already made a name for himself for England. I think by 2009 Denly will definitely be near the top of the pecking order.

Users who are viewing this thread