New Zealand in England

Phil Mustard has an obsession with corn, didn't you know?

*I think he means 'the colonel'.

You don't think we thrashed you at home? 3-1? That's comprehensive in my books. 6 wicket win, 10 wicket win and 34 runs. Thrashings. Especially with us smashing the ball all over the place at the top or the order. England's win was our only poor game and we let the draw slip a tad. England's team has quite a few new guys on the block.

Mustard being dropped was a bad move in my opinion. He didn't go brilliantly in NZ, but at least he was positive at the start. England in the past since Trescothick has stopped playing have been very negative at the start of their innings with the field up. Will Ambrose open? Will he play aggressive? Someone give me a predicted team list.

My NZ team (for twenty/20) would be:

How
McCullum
Fulton
Taylor
Styris
Oram
Flynn
Vettori
Patel
Mills
Mason

I'm still not sure which bowlers to select for the ODIs. Mills has to be one. I want a second spinner, so Patel. But then Gillespie takes wickets though is expensive, Mason is economical mostly but not so much wickets, Southee is a little unknown. Hard selection.

Last edited:
Ambrose open ? LOL.

Nah, it'll be something like:

Cook
Wright
Pietersen
Bopara
Bell
Collingwood
Ambrose
Mascheranas
Broad
Anderson
Sidebottom

That'd be the team i'd pick anyway. I personally think it's a better team than the NZ one. The success of Ryder and McCullum was the main reason you won the ODi series, so losing Ryder could be costly. I don't rate Fulton, Styris isn't as good as he was a year or so ago, and the bowlers other than Vettori and Oram aren't brilliant. We've got a better overall team I think, now it's just making them work together and getting results. The gap in quality in the ODi scene is very small compared with the gap between our Test side and yours. Will be a close series I think.

Last edited:
Wright is rather attacking isn't he? I guess that's a good thing.

I'll agree, Fulton isn't the best, but he's still got a very decent ODI record compared with most of our side. Dunno if number 3 is best for him, but hopefully he can make it his own.

Some of those bowlers weren't so good in the One Day games in NZ. Anderson is no where near as good and neither is Broad. Mills and Vettori for us are among the top in the world but Mason, Gillespie and Patel are kinda newish. Patel gave you guys a lot of trouble last time.

I was surprised in the NZ series when England won that game ad i'll be surprised again this time if England win a game. We are third ranked in the world and deservingly so.

Last edited:
yeah Luke Wright is rather attacking, he hit the most sixes in last years T20 compataion here in England, i would love to see him given a long run in the side in ODI's and he has to play in the 20/20 game! Wright, Bopars and Mascheranas have to play

Ambrose open ? LOL.

Nah, it'll be something like:

Cook
Wright
Pietersen
Bopara
Bell
Collingwood
Mascheranas
Swann
Broad
Anderson
Sidebottom

whos keeping KP? lol

Last edited:
Lolz, i knew i'd missed someone out. Has been edited, replacing Swann with Ambrose. Although on a turning wicket i'd have Swann over Dimi.

You don't think we thrashed you at home? 3-1? That's comprehensive in my books.

I didn't disagree with you thrashing us, you were the better side. Firstly, I don't think you are a miles better one day team. Secondly, there is a big difference between playing at home and playing away. The latter being my main point.

I dunno, in ODI cricket does it really matter? Home or away? It'd be interesting to see the stats. Test cricket is obviously a big advantage, but I dunno about ODIs myself. Fair point though.

I was working on the basis that we do fairly well in home ODIs, whereas we are appalling in away ODIs. Though we did win in Sri Lanka and the CB Series. Actually, looking at the stats, we have a very inconsistent ODI form, almost doesn't make sense.

http://stats.cricinfo.com/england/engine/records/team/series_results.html?class=2;id=1;type=team

In the home series it's only the Sri Lanka series in 06 when we were really bad, we did poor vs the WIndies last year.

http://stats.cricinfo.com/ci/engine...wling_by_team.html?id=2870;team=1;type=series

The batting was the problem. I'm very interested as to how the line up will look. It will be Cook and Wright to open. Bell will be at 3, then KP, Bopara, Colly is my reckoning.

I'm looking forward to these ODIs, think it could be a good series.

Edit: Would have done the New Zealand records, but CricInfo is down.

cook openning, bell at 3 and collingwood in the worst form of his life. Testing times for the English batting line up. I agree with irrotev that England are a class behind NZ in ODIs. BUT they'll carry a lot of confidence coming into this test. If England can control Mcculum and Taylor i think England have a good chance.

Anyone else think those 20/20 uniforms are disgusting? They look like training kits, i hate them! (England's)

Anyways, as the BBC said, if one of these games against the West Indies all-stars is this easy, KP may get his wish at becoming very, very rich.

England going to be dominated in the One Day formats of the game, ha. New Zealand were simply outclassed tonight, they couldn't bat, other than Taylor, and the bowling other than Vettori and Mason's first 2 overs was poor, especially from Mills. Ian Bell was fantastic, proved that Twenty20 doesn't have to be all slogging, played all round the wicket and played some beautiful shots, keep him at 1.

Nice to see Pietersen getting some time in the middle aswell, lovely innings from him after being nervous at the start, again hit some lovely strokes, and dominated the attack in the proper Pietersen fashion. Great performance from England, sexy shirts, great bowling, fantastic fielding and awesome batting. Bring on the ODi's :D. Especially if Oram is injured !!

Anyone else think those 20/20 uniforms are disgusting? They look like training kits, i hate them! (England's)

I completely disagree, I think it's a lovely shirt, i'll probably be buying one, I want all 3 of the new shirts, all of them look lovely. I'll get the Twenty20 shirt with KP on the back though, and just have the other 2 plain. Love all 3 shirts, the Twenty20 one is probably my favourite of the 3 seeing it in a game.

Last edited:
Now now let's not get over confident; it was only a warm-up Twenty20. You can't read too much into tonight's contest (or non-contest as it turned out to be). I'll reserve judgement on the team until Sunday's game.

Users who are viewing this thread