New Zealand Tour of India, November 2010/11

ferg512

International Coach
Online Cricket Games Owned
Yeah I think people should remember how bad we played. Guys like Pathan will get found out against good players. I also wouldn't take much more out of it than a 5-0 win against Bangladesh or Zim. Lets just see how things go in SA first.

I don't really know what we should do now. Don't think Oram is going to come and save us, I highly doubt he will play again tbh. Milne could do with being given a go against Pakistan in the T20s. Elliotts got to go, along with McKay. Problem is there aint really anyone else to replace them.

Chewie

BCCI President
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Steam PC
lol McKay and Elliott have the best bowling records on the team but are the worst bowlers. McKay should probably stay though, he provides the variety bowling left arm, and he has taken wickets (though they are mostly off bad deliveries it has to be said).

I reckon Oram should come back into the side when fit. He's a useful lower order batsman who can hit it far in the death overs, and bowls his 10 overs for not many runs, even if he doesn't take too many wickets.

Milne being called up isn't really the best idea, especially at this point in time. It's just before the World Cup and we should be finalising our squad for that.

Most of the players on this tour were our best ones it's just that they're all terribly out of form and played terribly. Hopefully a few rounds in the HRV cup smashing domestic bowlers around should get them into some sort of form before Pakistan.

If you looked at a lineup of

McCullum
Ryder
Guptill
Taylor
Styris
Franklin
Oram
Vettori
Mills
McCullum
Southee

you would be looking at close to a full strength New Zealand side - and there are only two players that weren't there in India. So I reckon it is more a factor of form rather than the players. McCullum and Taylor were getting out to terrible shots, Guptill was getting his usual starts, and only Franklin and Styris looked to be going anywhere with the bat.

ferg512

International Coach
Yeah I was saying I doubt Oram playing again, he seems perfectly fine with his commentating etc. and doesn't really look that interested in playing. Why not give Milne one game in the Twenty20?? Its only t20, if it was an ODI I would wait. The reason I'm for Milne is that we need a quick bowler, we can't just have 120k dibbly dobblys like Mills and Tuffey win us games. The whole series I can't remember seeing McKay hit 135 and he is there because he can supposedly bowl real quick - according to Vettori. He isn't a quick bowler and I think it has ruined him that Vettori said that because now he is trying to bowl real quick and getting hammered. Also the game Vettori based McKays pace on was at a very windy day at the Basin with the wind behind him.

Is that it for How? He was pretty disappointing, but I knew before he was picked he wouldn't do anything. It didn't help him batting at 3 I don't think, wasn't Guptill the number 3?

Chewie

BCCI President
How might get another chance against Pakistan, but I wouldn't count on it. If he doesn't I think that'll be the end of his international career and he'll just go back to domestic cricket and smash the bowlers around.

Milne doesn't have any variations really, just pace and he isn't going to trouble too many people on the international scene bowling at 140-145. In a few years when he's picked that up a bit and can get some swing, etc. he'd be good but I don't reckon at the moment.

With Oram, he's terrible presenting that tv show, but alright commentating I suppose. But I reckon he'd still want to play the World Cup at the very least. Mills used to commentate when he was injured but he's still playing.

CG123

Chairman of Selectors
Is Oram's fit, he'll be there.

The problem is Franklin's the only one of those 11 players that's in form, like that line-up Jono posted a few posts above is one that should be able to match it with the top teams in the world, if anything it's better than the line-up we had when we were 3rd in the world at ODI's like last world cup. I think it's just about making sure we get as many players as we can in form before the world cup, and we should be able to make it to another semis.

6ry4nj

International Coach
I think it's just about making sure we get as many players as we can in form before the world cup

Are you sure it's just about form though? When everyone fails at once - like in that last ODI - it makes me wonder whether the problem is with team morale for some reason.

CG123

Chairman of Selectors
Team morale will come from form and good performances though, like if more people are feeling in form, they're going to feel better about their game, and hence the team morale should increase.

I'm not exactly sure, but I'd say form and team morale would be proportional, e.g. if ones high so is the other. Hence that's why the team morale's so low, as only one player's in form.

BlueString

School Cricketer
Man, this bothers me about New Zealand. There's a lot of talent on that team (McCullum, Taylor, of course Vettori) yet they're not winning. I actually wished they'd won the last two ODIs. At this point though, I'd start to question Vettori's captaincy and leadership.

Not that they have anyone to replace him, unless Fleming comes back. I really hope they beat Pakistan and get to the semis of the WC. They need something to revive NZ cricket.

As for India, this win is overhyped. As talented as NZ is, their form was not only bad, it was non-existent. And Yusuf Pathan? A mainstay? Seriously?

Pathan cannot play proffessionally, and one fluke game isn't going to change that. Hopefully his bro's gonna be healthy, because Irfan has the discipline I think.

ferg512

International Coach
Ok I take back what I said about Milne after just watching him get hammered by Otago. He could do with a while in domestic cricket. He had just done so well in the past few games, but got taken apart in this game. He needs to work on his yorker and slower balls, they keep coming out as half volleys.

I would play Franklin as a number 5 or 6 batsman, just don't bowl him whatsoever. Even as a part time medium pacer he is woeful. Southee could do with sitting out some of the pakistan games and play domestic. He really needs to regain some form before the world cup.

Chewie

BCCI President
The paper this morning was calling for Vettori to keep the captaincy far beyond the WC...

There was some other ridiculous call as well which I've forgotten. Something about Tuffey maybe?

ferg512

International Coach
So Vettori was going to give up the captaincy?? There is no way Taylor is ready for it...

Chewie

BCCI President
Vettori plans to give up the captaincy after the world cup. Wouldn't be a terrible move making Taylor captain I think. But I agree it is a bit early...

AbhishekS

Chairman of Selectors
Why is Brendon McCullum not been considered? Is he not interested in captaincy or is it that he just isn't good enough!

Users who are viewing this thread