Draft: Not another T20 Draft!

qpeedore

SOTM Winner - July 2014
We've done all sorts of T20 Drafts on here, from a spinoff of the IPL, to a more modern IPL, to a world T20 leagues, and even one where nobody played any T20 cricket at all. Strangely enough, we've not had a proper International T20 Draft. And that's what I propose to do. Before you get bored, hold up.

KEEP READING.

One of the things with so many Drafts being done already is that you tend to see the same players over and over. That's why I like some of the rules imposed by some members *coughcough*Aislabie*coughcough* that allow us to research and think about players we definitely would never have known too much about or would generally pick in a first choice team. It's also why I loved reading through the non-cricketers Draft. Being away from the Bradmans and Vivs et al was a good escape.

With that in mind, I'm proposing a Draft that will allow every single participant to pick players that they have never picked before in any Draft. Yes, it's another T20 Draft. What's the big rule that lets this happen? It's rather simple, really.

This will be a Women's Draft.

To my knowledge, there hasn't been a Draft featuring the female cricketers so far, and I think it's about time we do one. Women have been playing cricket for as long as the men, and they have definitely had their impact on the game. The first ODI double century was hit in 1997. It took until 2010 for Sachin to do that for the men. You may or may not choose to believe the story that a woman developed overarm bowling so as to not get her hand caught up in her skirt. But the fact remains that women have gone largely unnoticed in the game and it's only in recent years that they have started to become more mainstream.

I chose the T20 format because that's where they have really seen the most exposure, with the World T20 being played regularly and expanded from 8 teams in the first edition, to 10 teams (8 and 2 qualifiers) in this year's tournament. There's also the WBBL showcasing some of the best that the game has to offer.

The rules:

- Any player who has played a T20I for their country is eligible.

- You must have a minimum of five different countries represented in your squad. (10 teams played this year's T20 WC, so half of that number gives more than enough variety. You aren't limited to just those 10 teams though.)

- You are allowed a maximum of three players from any one country.

- You are not allowed to pick consecutive country players. So as an example if you pick an Aussie in Round 1, you can't pick another Aussie in Round 2. This will just apply to individual participants and not the Draft as a whole, so someone else can pick an Aussie provided their own Round 1 pick wasn't one.

Any interest?

Participants:
@ahmedleo414 - Quota met, 6 countries represented, currently cannot pick :sri:
@Aislabie - Quota met, 7 countries represented, currently cannot pick :eng:
@mohsin7827 - Quota met, 5/5 countries represented, currently cannot pick :ind:
@qpeedore - Quota met, 7 countries represented, currently cannot pick :eng:
@Yash. - Quota met, 6 countries represented, currently cannot pick :aus:

Australia :aus: - 12 picks (@ahmedleo414 x3, @qpeedore x3, @Yash. x3, @mohsin7827 x2, @Aislabie x1)
Bangladesh :ban: - 1 pick (@qpeedore x1)
England :eng: - 10 picks (@Aislabie x3, @mohsin7827 x3, @ahmedleo414 x2, @qpeedore x1, @Yash. x1)
India :ind: - 7 picks (@Yash. x3, @ahmedleo414 x1, @Aislabie x1, @mohsin7827 x1, @qpeedore x1)
New Zealand :nz: - 5 picks (@ahmedleo414 x2, @Aislabie x1, @qpeedore x1, @Yash. x1)
Pakistan :pak: - 2 picks (@Aislabie x1, @Yash. x1)
South Africa :saf: - 7 picks (@Aislabie x2, @mohsin7827 x2, @qpeedore x2, @Yash. x1)
Sri Lanka :sri: - 1 pick (@ahmedleo414 x1)
West Indies :wi: - 4 picks (@ahmedleo414 x1, @Aislabie x1, @mohsin7827 x1, @qpeedore x1)

Draft order:
1. @ahmedleo414 - Ellyse Perry :ar: :aus:
2. @qpeedore - Stafanie Taylor :ar: :wi:
3. @Yash. - Alyssa Healy :wkb: :aus:
4. @mohsin7827 - Sophie Devine :ar: :nz:
5. @Aislabie - Sarah Taylor :wkb: :eng:
6. @mohsin7827 - Deandra Dottin :bat: :wi:
7. @ahmedleo414 - Anya Shrubsole :bwl: :eng:
8. @Yash. - Smriti Mandhana :bat: :ind:
9. @Aislabie - Ashleigh Gardner :arwk: :aus:
10. @qpeedore - Megan Schutt :bwl: :aus:
11. @Yash. - Natalie Sciver :ar: :eng:
12. @qpeedore - Mithali Raj :bat: :ind:
13. @Aislabie - Shafali Verma :bat: :ind:
14. @ahmedleo414 - Harmanpreet Kaur :ar: :ind:
15. @mohsin7827 - Jess Jonasson :ar: :aus:
16. @Yash. - Poonam Yadav :bwl: :ind:
17. @qpeedore - Katey Martin :wkb: :nz:
18. @ahmedleo414 - Suzie Bates :ar: :nz:
19. @Aislabie - Lizelle Lee :bat: :saf:
20. @mohsin7827 - Katherine Brunt :bwl: :eng:
21. @Aislabie - Amelia Kerr :ar: :nz:
22. @mohsin7827 - Beth Mooney :wkb: :aus:
23. @ahmedleo414 - Meg Lanning :bat: :aus:
24. @qpeedore - Dane van Niekerk :ar: :saf:
25. @Yash. - Sana Mir :ar: :pak:
26. @mohsin7827 - Heather Knight :bat: :eng:
27. @Aislabie - Chloe Tryon :bat: :saf:
28. @qpeedore - Karen Rolton :bat: :aus:
29. @Yash. - Amy Satterthwaite :ar: :nz:
30. @ahmedleo414 - Charlotte Edwards :bat: :eng:
31. @mohsin7827 - Shabnim Ismail :bwl: :saf:
32. @Aislabie - Shanel Daley :bwl: :wi:
33. @qpeedore - Sune Luus :ar: :saf:
34. @Yash. - Rene Farrell :ar: :aus:
35. @ahmedleo414 - Anisa Mohammed :bwl: :wi:
36. @ahmedleo414 - Sarah Coyte :bwl: :aus:
37. @mohsin7827 - Sarah Glenn :bwl: :eng:
38. @Aislabie - Nida Dar :ar: :pak:
39. @Yash. - Marizanne Kapp :ar: :saf:
40. @qpeedore - Nahida Akter :bwl: :ban:
41. @Yash. - Radha Yadav :bwl: :ind:
42. @qpeedore - Georgia Wareham :ar: :aus:
43. @ahmedleo414 - Rachel Priest :wk: :nz:
44. @mohsin7827 - Laura Wolvaardt :bat: :saf:
45. @Aislabie - Danni Wyatt :bat: :eng:
46. @qpeedore - Jenny Gunn :ar: :eng:
47. @Yash. - Alex Blackwell :bat: :aus:
48. @ahmedleo414 - Chamari Athapaththu :ar: :sri:
49. @Aislabie - Holly Colvin :bwl: :eng: (pick invalid)
50. @mohsin7827 - Deepati Sharma :ar: :ind:
51. @Yash.
52. @ahmedleo414
53. @mohsin7827
54. @Aislabie
55. @qpeedore

Last edited:

Yash.

Staff Member
India
Ireland
ENG....
SRH...
QG
PlanetCricket Award Winner
Melbourne Stars
X Rebels
Profile Flag
India

qpeedore

SOTM Winner - July 2014
This being Christmas week, people may be a bit busy so I won't be officially starting this until next Monday. Anyone interested is welcome to sign up until then.

I'm thinking of putting in another rule where you can't consecutively pick someone from the same country. So as an example if you pick an Aussie in Round 1, you can't pick another Aussie in Round 2. This will just apply to individual participants and not the Draft as a whole, so someone else can pick an Aussie provided their own Round 1 pick wasn't one. Any thoughts?

Last edited:

qpeedore

SOTM Winner - July 2014
I sort of am also doing this because I'm not sure @Aislabie and his VARP will work with the relatively small sample sizes of Women's cricket. :p

(EDIT: Will be proven so wrong over the next month or so...)

Last edited:

Aislabie

Test Cricket is Best Cricket
Ireland
I sort of am also doing this because I'm not sure @Aislabie and his VARP will work with the relatively small sample sizes of Women's cricket. :p

(EDIT: Will be proven so wrong over the next month or so...)
It ought to work alright in fairness, though I've not tried it on women's cricket yet. As for sample sizes, women play just as many T20Is as men do and often more. Although I do love that Jenny Gunn is the women's Shoaib Malik

qpeedore

SOTM Winner - July 2014
Parth?

You in or not? And it would depend on the Draft order lol. Next Monday we'll see.

And since you've changed your username...

andrew-melfi-joker.jpg

Verified Enigma

PlanetCricket's Sherlock Holmes
Champions League Winner
Avengers
@qpeedore pretty hectic times here, so a miss mostly

however, i will wait till monday, may be i might be up

qpeedore

SOTM Winner - July 2014
@The Dark Knight. no issues, hope things settle down for you soon. I'll still run this Draft even with us four people so far. Will have to change a rule or two but it's still going to run.

"It's true, Batsy. I know everything. And kinda like the kid who peeks at his Christmas presents, I must admit it's sadly anti-climactic. Behind all the sturm and Batarangs, you're just a little boy in a playsuit crying for mommy and daddy! It'd be funny if it weren't so pathetic. Oh, what the heck, I'll laugh anyway! HAHAHAHAHAHA!"

qpeedore

SOTM Winner - July 2014
Still have about three hours or so to go in my time zone, but Merry Christmas to all.

(EDIT: If anyone gets a chance, go outside and look up at the Jupiter/Saturn conjunction, it's looking pretty decent these past few nights.)

Users who are viewing this thread