ODI Tri-Series (Malaysia)

Thats definitely the case, but I wouldn't say Jaques has the same game as Gilly cause he has shown he can make some very big knocks. Cosgrove is more the dashing opener in the mould of Gilly, Jaques can accelerate but I'm sure he could play the Katich role.

I'm dissapointed that Laxman will not be playing in this series...India should have atleast selected him to play against Australia, as he constantly dismantles their bowling attack.

With a week to go, does anyone know what kind of broadcast coverage this is getting?

Most likely in Aus it would be Foxtel but it is still questionable whether they will broadcast it. I'd say they probably will.

Woohoo. Can't wait for this series to start, and I can watch it on Fox ;).

Looking forward to seeing how McGrath will play. They say if he bowls well Clarke will definetly be in the team. Because of the allrounder issue.

Should be a cracker of a series!

I wonder how we will go about rotating our players. You would think Jaques and Cosgrove won't get much of a go as the main team would want to hit some form before the Champions trophy.

Australia has to play three matches in the first six days. I surely think they will change some players in that period.

I think they'll open Katich consistantly from now on. I don't like it, but they will. I'm afraid this could be the last ODI tour Hayden is involved because his turning 35 this October while I think they'll continue to wait a few years with Jaques like they've done with other players (eg. Hussey, Hayden, Martyn, etc) who get added into the team once they hit the age of 30 where they usually play the best cricket of their life.

I wouldn't mind seeing this ploy used for Michael Clarke. Not axeing him from the One-Day side but from the Test side and giving him a few years to develop himself better in First Class cricket (ala Michael Hussey) because I'm not fully convinced with his First-Class record while all of the other Aussie Batsman have averages of 50+ in First-Class level his is just at 40 and his Test in at 36 where it has done absolutely nothing but drop since his debut in India.

In conclusion, I think Katich will be a consistant opener for the next couple of years and then be replaced by Jaques. I'd rather have Hayden in the ODI team, not only because I think his a better batsman but because I just think the Australian team doesn't look as a dangerous on the batting front without him. It'll be interesting to see if Katich can get his average up into the mid 40's like Hayden did.

I saw someone else say something about opening with Langer & Hayden. This is what they should've done 5 or so years ago and batted Gilchrist down at 5, 6, 7. Langer is an explosive player and one of the four relieable batsman in the Australian Test Team that I feel comfortable will do well on a consistant basis. He'll never be back in the ODI team though.

Last edited:
Gilly for mind has been the perfect opener, who knows what Langer would have done but what Gilly has done is give us some very quick fire starts.

Jaques looks like he is well and truely ready ad he'll get his chance when the retirements happen. Same with Cosgrove, with him at 4 we will have a very dangerous top 4 with Katich stabilizing the ship.

aussie1st said:
I wonder how we will go about rotating our players. You would think Jaques and Cosgrove won't get much of a go as the main team would want to hit some form before the Champions trophy.

Jaques should be in out best XI

I read India played two practice matches. Somebody knows the results?

viral1991 said:
So, tomorrow is the start of the series! Is it the first time that such a high-profile series is played in Malaysia?
First ODIs in Malaysia, although I guess the Commonwealth Games in 1998 were pretty high profile.

Users who are viewing this thread