Overrated cricketers

sifter132

Panel of Selectors
Thought we might have a thread like this already, but I did a quick search and couldn't dig up anything. If I have erred, I'm sorry.

But my overrated alarm went off yesterday and I had to tell someone :p

DAVID WARNER!!

Yesterday Warner's 12 not out was met with oohs and aahs as though he'd cracked a famous match winning innings and upon the match's end when Michael Slater went down to interview the players they said he was with 'the man of the moment'. I thought James Pattinson? Yeah 3 wickets in 4 balls is pretty good. But no, he was interviewing fricken WARNER - for his 12!!

The channel 9 boys have a true hard-on for Dave at the moment, and for the last year or 2 really. It first started bugging me when Richie Benaud (and others) were studying a PHOTO of David Warner bowling in the nets and proclaiming him a leg spinner of great promise. Again it was mentioned in this Test that Warner bowls 'handy leg spin'. I can't think of where he would have bowled that any of the commentators would have seen him. It's just pure speculation...And while his debut T20I innings was very impressive, I'm not sure it was worth the summer of Warner hype that we had to endure in 09/10 where every time he appeared on screen they had to replay him pulling Steyn for 6 and Cameron White jumping out of his seat.

Next point fielding. Everytime Warner has touched the ball in this Test someone in the comm. box has been banging on about how awesome a fielder he is. Never mind that he dropped that catch (sharp, but Collingwood or other good point fielders would have nabbed it I reckon), or that he had a couple of quite inaccurate throws that could have lead to runouts with a merely competent throw. No - Warner is the best thing since sliced bread. Just look at the way he sets himself in the field as the ball is bowled, oh gosh what a player. No one else does that at all do they Tony Greig...:mad

Warner's a talented guy, but I hate guys getting hyped before they've actually done anything. The last player that got my overrated senses boiling was Andrew Symonds in the late 90s/early 2000s before he ever did anything of note. Hit the odd big 6 and throw yourself around in the field and you are a legend... Symonds turned his fortunes around in his final years by becoming far more consistent with bat, hopefully Warner can become a truly valuable player too.

So now that my rant is over, step on up and share your feelings about a player or a list of players who are constantly overrated either by commentators, other media or fans.

Papa_Smurf

International Cricketer
Online Cricket Games Owned
I kind of agree. And the reason I think he is over-rated is because of the most overrated cricketer atm - Sehwag. I think the Aussie comms see Warner as their own version of Sehwag - someone who can give them blazing starts, and put them in commanding positions.

The only problem with making another Sehwag is he will only be effective on flat-tracks. If there is any life on the pitch, or the ball is swinging, he will be useless. Remember the king pair.

*waits for back-lash from Yudi* :p

Papa_Smurf

International Cricketer
Before the Ashes, I used to think Bresnan was over-rated as well by the England selectors. He wasn't that impressive with the ball, and woeful with the bat.

Glad he proved me wrong though. Loved the delivery he bowled to Tendulkar at The Oval, and proved how far he has come along this year.

teamindia

Club Cricketer
Swann. All talk and cannot prove anything worthwhile in the subcontinent.

Bevab

Staff Member
PlanetCricket Award Winner
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Steam PC
Raina. All talk and can only prove anything in India.

angryangy

ICC Chairman
Tends to be that bowling itself isn't always a worthwhile pastime on the subcontinent

Haarithan

Chairman of Selectors
Sehwag, Warner and Hughes as it stands.

Like PS said, I can't see Warner or Sehwag being effective anywhere barring the SC. Zero technique.

Another cricketer whom I've always felt should never be near the INTL setup is Phillip Hughes - how's he still riding on the twin hundreds in SA a couple of years back to cement his spot in the test side? :facepalm

ShamiLoverGlipGlops

The Man With The Glip Glops
India
NZ....
AFG...
KKR
Avengers
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - PS3
  2. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Steam PC
  3. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Xbox One
Posted via Mobile Device

Swann is too over rated. Is good for nothing when it really matters.
From Africa its gotta be Tsotsobe
Australia I will say Warner
India I will say Raina in some way but if better controlled and handled will be a tweaking any side in the world.
New zealand I think its Ross and Brendon McCullum
Sri Lanka it has to be Dilshan way too much dependency
West Indies who else then the big man Pollard

Fenil

PC Cricket Leagues Legend
Well I too don't think Warner is as good as someone like Sehwag or Gayle. Gayle and Sehwag are aggressive but also can (and had played) play long innings at good strike rate thats what is missing in Warner's batting and this ability to play long innings makes Gayle and Sehwag stand out than other aggressive batsmen like Watto and even Brendon McCullum. He's kind of hit out or get out on every ball and most times he gets out rather than hitting it (ball) out. May be Aussies see Warner as a replacement of Gilchrist (batting wise) but he's no where near to the West Australia legend. He needs a bit more maturity in batting and can't hit every ball out of the park.

Other player I'd like to mention is Kieron Pollard. A big man who can hit the ball miles and also is a decent pacer. He has been pretty effective in domestic T20 tournaments but at International level, he has been absolute failure of sorts. The same goes with Yusuf Pathan. A giant at domestic level but when it comes to International matches, one big inning here and there but these players have never been able to do good either with bat or ball consistently that is expected at International level.

Varun

ICC Board Member
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Steam PC
Is the Swann criticism due to the other thread? Because I don't think he's overrated.

Pollard is damn overrated. Can smash the ball out of the park once in a while (not talking about the T20s), and besides that good for nothing. I don't remember him doing much in bowling either.

angryangy

ICC Chairman
Like PS said, I can't see Warner or Sehwag being effective anywhere barring the SC. Zero technique.
That's to imply that only following the textbook is "technique" and that anyone who comes up with something different doesn't have a different technique, they're just wrong.

teamindia

Club Cricketer
A guy who's ranked #4 in Tests and T20s, and #3 in ODIs! Overrated indeed.

He has not done anything worthwhile against sub continent teams. And please don't insult yourself comparing him to Warne. He has a really big mouth.

And please stop brinfind raina. Noone rates him outside India :)

And why bring Shewag? He has proven enough outside India

Users who are viewing this thread