Paine gets call-up

Jakester1288

School Cricketer
Online Cricket Games Owned
A run of injuries to Australia's touring wicket-keepers has seen Tasmanian gloveman Tim Paine called up as back-up for the fifth and deciding Ashes test at The Oval.

While Brad Haddin is expected to be fit to take his spot behind the stumps after returning for the fourth Test at Headingly, his back-up Graham Manou is struggling with a hand injury that would put him in serious doubt should anything happen to Haddin on the eve of the Test.

The situation looked to be initially resolved with Chris Hartley called up to the squad, but Australia has now opted to bring in Paine, who is due to be part of the squad for the one-day and Twenty20 squad following the Test series.

"Tim will arrive a few days early as a precautionary measure should Graham Manou?s hand injury not recover sufficiently to be available as a reserve wicket-keeper for Thursday?s fifth Ashes Test at The Oval," team physiotherapist Alex Kountouris said.

"Brad Haddin is expected to be fully fit for selection in this match."

Cricket Australia > Latest News > News

Obviously this shows Wade isn't in the plans as much as I thought he was.

It doesn't really show anything. Hartley was picked out of availability and now Paine comes into the squad a week before he would have joined them anyway.

As above.

Doesn't really mean anything as to whos above who in the pecking order. We all know who it is...

Haddin surely isn't liking all this keeper talk... He isn't that old.

Paine was always the 3rd keeper for me anyway, obviously helps with him being over here already. The season coming up should give us a better indication of which of the youngsters will be up to the role. Of course they probably will have to keep that form up for another 3-4 seasons before Haddin retires.

I would have gone with Hartley to start with hahaha

no bias from me for Queenslanders, no none at all lol... Hartley would have done fine though... real good keeper, not as good of a bat as T Paine though... but he still has gotten some shield and ODD 50's. He's not really a test batsman though

What was the point of brining Paine in?

Stupid.

What was the point of brining Paine in?

Stupid.
He was already coming up for the Twenty20 and ODI series next week, it's not stupid at all. With Manou definitely not fit to play the final test and Hartley light years off test standard, it makes sense to get Paine up in case Haddin gets injured.

Paine has played for Australia A and ever since he was picked for the ODI series it was clear he was third in line. I'm not sure why people thought Wade would be a chance, he only played in the CBCE tournament, definitely not there as yet.

Users who are viewing this thread