Patch#2 Notes - Patch is Live

Playing FIFA World Cup 2014 Brazil on the PS3 today there were a number of things I noticed:

- The World Cup is terribly portrayed, and you can't actually get the game to do a realistic draw
- Road to the World Cup can recreate the real world fixtures, but if you want to get it to do a redraw, it seems to be little more than a shuffle, and the game doesn't seem to include seeding (watching Japan go out to Korea before even the first group stage in AFC qualifying was quite satisfying)
- The form system in the game is very... well, gamey. Players don't develop as such, and the overall rosters are a bit narrow
- There exists a game breaking bug which makes the game hang when certain teams play at home, including Mexico and Argentina

When you compare their budgets to your own, it is stunning how well DBC 14 is for a first game in a series, when they've had 20 years of FIFA games, and can still bugger some very basic things up.

But Ross, please, please don't give an ETA.

I had been meaning to pick this up for the XBOX 360, since it's recently dropped to $40. So this is all interesting to know (and the redraw issues were the same in the 2010 version).

But more importantly, agreed. One trip to the EA FIFA forums should tell you all you need to know about the world of difference in response & actual work towards fixing game issues. I think they're still holding their breath for FIFA '12 patches. :)

Been trying to keep a lurker in this thread... not to try to put an ETA on it, but the stage that it's at right now. Resubmitted. That's the bit that happens on Fridays, right?

I had been meaning to pick this up for the XBOX 360, since it's recently dropped to $40. So this is all interesting to know (and the redraw issues were the same in the 2010 version).

But more importantly, agreed. One trip to the EA FIFA forums should tell you all you need to know about the world of difference in response & actual work towards fixing game issues. I think they're still holding their breath for FIFA '12 patches. :)

Been trying to keep a lurker in this thread... not to try to put an ETA on it, but the stage that it's at right now. Resubmitted. That's the bit that happens on Fridays, right?

To their credit they do improve the game each version, and do generally fix bugs. The World Cup game though, I don't know, it seems a money spinning after thought. The fact that they passed over the next gen consoles speaks volumes about where they're at.

Don Bradman Cricket 14 reminds me of my favourite band Wolfmother (fellow Aussies). Wolfmother's debut album called 'Wolfmother' was fantastic. Same thing here at Big Ant Studios, the first addition to the series (DBC14) is also fantastic.

Hey Matt and Ross....
In Patch 2 is there going to be bowling assistance in any level. I bowl terrible without bowling assistance.

Last edited by a moderator:
To their credit they do improve the game each version, and do generally fix bugs. The World Cup game though, I don't know, it seems a money spinning after thought. The fact that they passed over the next gen consoles speaks volumes about where they're at.

That's fair. I think the things they pay more detail to aren't so much what I'm interested in, but that's merely a difference in opinion.

It almost feels like World Cup squads could just be a DLC add-on, but they know they could sell WC games once every four years no matter what. Most of their series probably could come out less frequently with DLC add-ons, but why do that when the demand is there?

I don't agree this game is like Wolfmother. This game isn't plodding derivative retro rubbish at all :)

That's fair. I think the things they pay more detail to aren't so much what I'm interested in, but that's merely a difference in opinion.

It almost feels like World Cup squads could just be a DLC add-on, but they know they could sell WC games once every four years no matter what. Most of their series probably could come out less frequently with DLC add-ons, but why do that when the demand is there?

A World Cup DLC would have been better as they may have actually released it for the next gen consoles as well. It just feels a bit neglected.

Hopefully Russia's version will be better.

I don't agree this game is like Wolfmother. This game isn't plodding derivative retro rubbish at all :)

544.png

Playing FIFA World Cup 2014 Brazil on the PS3 today there were a number of things I noticed:

- The World Cup is terribly portrayed, and you can't actually get the game to do a realistic draw
- Road to the World Cup can recreate the real world fixtures, but if you want to get it to do a redraw, it seems to be little more than a shuffle, and the game doesn't seem to include seeding (watching Japan go out to Korea before even the first group stage in AFC qualifying was quite satisfying)
- The form system in the game is very... well, gamey. Players don't develop as such, and the overall rosters are a bit narrow
- There exists a game breaking bug which makes the game hang when certain teams play at home, including Mexico and Argentina

When you compare their budgets to your own, it is stunning how well DBC 14 is for a first game in a series, when they've had 20 years of FIFA games, and can still bugger some very basic things up.

But Ross, please, please don't give an ETA.

And of course FIFA is just a copy paste job. And heck, for this WC version it's a copy paste job of the inferior, current gen version of FIFA.

And of course FIFA is just a copy paste job. And heck, for this WC version it's a copy paste job of the inferior, current gen version of FIFA.

Not really that fair on them. They are improving the game year on year. The fact that you mention that the World Cup game is the "inferior current gen version" and call it a copy paste job is a bit odd, considering that FIFA 14 was the first on the next gen consoles.

They actually do produce a good series, and tend to build each year, subtly, but in ways you couldn't go back to not having. What's more is that it's incredibly hard to balance such a game. It's all well and good to call it copy-paste, but wholesale changes for the sake of it would just break everything. There is enough differences each year to justify it generally, although they tend to ham it up a bit in the media before release.

The World Cup edition has been a huge disappointment though.

It will be nice to keep getting some updates from the PCers who have the PC version copies to keep us happy. @ Biggs, Dutch, Mattw and zim please do share with us how different/better you feel the game is compared to the pre patch experience.
We know the field setting issue is not totally sorted out but do the AI at least chase well against the human opponent?

Users who are viewing this thread