Patch#2 Notes - Patch is Live

That's disappointing. Don't want to play games where AI has 3 slips in T20 or no slips & 4 outfielders in Tests :(

----------

Aryou talking pre or post patch 2? I haven't had a leg bye yet though I have played the game extensively for the last couple of months. Plus I've barely had a handful of byes which are mostly 4s off a bouncer which are not called wides. There aren't any leg byes where the ball hits you and the ball rolls to fine leg, 3rd man or square leg for boundary or for you to take runs. Currently the ball sort of dies when it hits the batsman. As for byes the keeper catches everyting so you can't really have byes.

I do not have access to patch 2. I have had occasion of byes, leg byes and overthrows as well.

Played game for about 30 mins but went through all default fields and to be honest they are marginally improved at best.

The fact there appears to be no separation between one day and first class fields means it's hard to get realistic fields used for both formats at all times.

There are still silly mid on and off positions used in a lot of fields.

Once someone works out how to edit fields, using my extensive 10+ years at editing default fields (:p) I will go through and remove silly mid on/off from all fields. Silly point and short leg are fine and used frequently IRL and don't hamper gameplay, but silly mid on/off are rarely used IRL and do hamper gameplay in DBC.

AI fields don't need to be really innovative/wildly varied, just sensible and this is what I desperately want to do

I am hoping for patch 3, BA will allow me to alter the default fields to be used in that patch :D

Not sure which is more disappointing, the England result or that news! The AI field-setting is a cluster-(fearsome)tweak. If they certainly will do a patch 3, that has to be number one priority. It's hands down the most disappointing feature in the game post-patch one. The fields bear almost no relation whatsoever to fields you're likely to see in a real game, in any situation, and destroy immersion and spoil gameplay.

I appreciate the need to not mess up existing save files, but at a minimum they need:
1) an additional criteria for each pre-set, of is it suitable for test, all limited overs, List A only, Twenty20 only etc.
2) less pre-sets in general, since the AI is nowhere near smart enough to choose them wisely.
3) smarter field changes - playing a single forward defensive to a pace bowler in the first session of a first class match has never, and should never, result in the fielding captain putting in a silly mid-off/on/both

I'd be hugely disappointed if it's not rectified. I beleieve a lot of the "over-powered" fielder type issues were originally caused by the awful AI field settings, since it can sometimes be impossible to get any value for a shot when they ring the field, and there's no slips, and your 3 overs into a four day game.

It shouldn't be a PC only thing someone has modded, the game should know what a real cricket field looks like, even Fegan and the programmers from hell knew that!

----------

Would just like to add i am working from home tomorrow, and have my powerful work laptop with me, and if @Ross wants someone to go through the AI fieldsetting with a fine-tooth comb, i am so far up in that i'm scratching its liver through its duodenum. (translated into aus, i'm on it like a dingo on a baby.)

1) an additional criteria for each pre-set, of is it suitable for test, all limited overs, List A only, Twenty20 only etc.

This is number 1 on list for patch 3 for me - can make it even simpler and state for each field if its for one day/first class or both forms of the game.

To be fair hardly played game with patch 2 yet but it looks amazing and I am hopeful only the fields will be main issue for patch 3

I'm not giving Eta's again but given it's only just gone back in....

Charging my bat err controller for the weekend with patch 2! :cheers

Played game for about 30 mins but went through all default fields and to be honest they are marginally improved at best.

The fact there appears to be no separation between one day and first class fields means it's hard to get realistic fields used for both formats at all times.

There are still silly mid on and off positions used in a lot of fields.

Once someone works out how to edit fields, using my extensive 10+ years at editing default fields (:p) I will go through and remove silly mid on/off from all fields. Silly point and short leg are fine and used frequently IRL and don't hamper gameplay, but silly mid on/off are rarely used IRL and do hamper gameplay in DBC.

AI fields don't need to be really innovative/wildly varied, just sensible and this is what I desperately want to do

I am hoping for patch 3, BA will allow me to alter the default fields to be used in that patch :D

I just want to clarify the fielding changes made for Patch 2.

Under the hood we've made some big changes to the AI only fields so that they will use certain fields at appropriate times in a match and based on match type, such as the start. At other times they will be free to use all fields (apart from ones you've created, we've fixed that issue).

We've not changed any of the default fields that you will see as a human when fielding. However, From a human player point of view you have the freedom to create and name (up to 24 characters) fields in the academy that you want to use in a match such as "T20 Aggressive 2 slips" you can then also set benefits for that field and it will then show up in the fielding list under that filter in game. This has always been there in the game and is a good way of having the fields you want.

#Mike , is there a chance that you could post all the changes made in patch 2... There's a list at the start of this discussion but, I'm assuming it's expanded:thumbs

I just want to clarify the fielding changes made for Patch 2.

Under the hood we've made some big changes to the AI only fields so that they will use certain fields at appropriate times in a match and based on match type, such as the start. At other times they will be free to use all fields (apart from ones you've created, we've fixed that issue).

We've not changed any of the default fields that you will see as a human when fielding. However, From a human player point of view you have the freedom to create and name (up to 24 characters) fields in the academy that you want to use in a match such as "T20 Aggressive 2 slips" you can then also set benefits for that field and it will then show up in the fielding list under that filter in game. This has always been there in the game and is a good way of having the fields you want.

Mikey, you missed Zim's point. He wants to mod the pre-existing (out of the box) fields so AI can use realistic fields instead of the unrealistic ones with silly mid on or silly mid off. Yes, you can create fields which you can use but it won't stop the AI from using the pre-existing unrealistic fields.

Mikey, you missed Zim's point. He wants to mod the pre-existing (out of the box) fields so AI can use realistic fields instead of the unrealistic ones with silly mid on or silly mid off. Yes, you can create fields which you can use but it won't stop the AI from using the pre-existing unrealistic fields.

Unfortunately, We can't change the existing out of the box fields because these are now stored on everyone's profiles. But, we've given the AI there own set of fields that are hard coded that they will use most of the time now that are realistic, this will stop the 4 slips in a T20 opening over for example.

Another issue with allowing pre-existing fields is that it would then be possible to remove the fielding restriction type fields and thus break the game, we had to have set fields there that met all types of restrictions, especially as the Match Type creation allowed for a lot of different restriction types.

I think maybe one of our failings was to have too much flexibility in these areas such as match types.

Unfortunately, We can't change the existing out of the box fields because these are now stored on everyone's profiles. But, we've given the AI there own set of fields that are hard coded that they will use most of the time now that are realistic, this will stop the 4 slips in a T20 opening over for example.

Another issue with allowing pre-existing fields is that it would then be possible to remove the fielding restriction type fields and thus break the game, we had to have set fields there that met all types of restrictions, especially as the Match Type creation allowed for a lot of different restriction types.

I think maybe one of our failings was to have too much flexibility in these areas such as match types.

I hear you and maybe more realistic out of fields can be handled in the next iteration of the game. With all the things fixed in the 2nd patch and with AI picking better fields as the match scenario demands, this version is already a pretty good game. The next iteration should leverage this great platform and be the game with virtually no weak areas.

Users who are viewing this thread