PlanetCricket Ashes Cricket 2009 Q&A

I have one question . my graphics are ATI readon 1250 with 256mb laptop graphic. Though these graphics are ok to play many games. why some graphics are not supported by laptop graphics? what makes them different from pc graphics?
I am really afraid that my laptop will face compatibility issues for sure .

sounds like that laptop is obsolete, probably wont even run battlefield 2

For a more general answer laptop graphics are designed mostly to save power and not require a fan. To do that and be powerful at the same time is expensive. You are more than likely not going to be able to play it on the vast majority of laptops.

For a more general answer laptop graphics are designed mostly to save power and not require a fan. To do that and be powerful at the same time is expensive. You are more than likely not going to be able to play it on the vast majority of laptops.

hmm.understand now.Thanks anyway .i am planning to buy ps3 /xbox.which one is better?

That's far outside the scope of this thread, post in the Entertainment section if you want a good answer.

Well if you want to waste money on a console to just play one game, you may as well get a PS3 so you can have a computer as well (by installing Linux and plugging in a keyboard and mouse). PS3 also gives you region free gaming, in case there is no official release of the game in India.

FWIW, I have an Xbox 360 and am fairly happy with it.

Well if you want to waste money on a console to just play one game, you may as well get a PS3 so you can have a computer as well (by installing Linux and plugging in a keyboard and mouse). PS3 also gives you region free gaming, in case there is no official release of the game in India.

FWIW, I have an Xbox 360 and am fairly happy with it.

OK Thanks for the information matt.

I have one question . my graphics are ATI readon 1250 with 256mb laptop graphic. Though these graphics are ok to play many games. why some graphics are not supported by laptop graphics? what makes them different from pc graphics?
I am really afraid that my laptop will face compatibility issues for sure .
Mostly when game developers say laptop chipsets not supported, they generally refer to Intel's solutions and at some places via's, since these are the ones most prominent in laptops.

However, this doesn't depend on the chip vender, just the capability of chips. Earlier in terms of compatibility [shader model etc.] laptop chips usually used to be dumbed down versions of their desktop counterparts. Now, however, all chips since Nvidia's 7000 series atleast support Shader Model 3. I'm not sure of ATI's older chips, so I guess a quick google [or bing] search would tell you whether then X1250 supports Shader model 3, and hence most likely AC09.

Also, this info is for the minimal requirement to run the game, but don't expect quality performance out of a laptop chip in most cases as I said before they are dumbed down versions of their desktop counterparts.

EDIT - I just checked. To cut a long story short, the X1250 only supports shader model 2 at max, so your chances of running AC09 are now next to zero, going by what Rob Walkey said. He said that they're only supporting SM3 now, so your card is now obsolete in regards to this game! :)

Hope that helped,
Kshitiz

Last edited:
Mostly when game developers say laptop chipsets not supported, they generally refer to Intel's solutions and at some places via's, since these are the ones most prominent in laptops.

However, this doesn't depend on the chip vender, just the capability of chips. Earlier in terms of compatibility [shader model etc.] laptop chips usually used to be dumbed down versions of their desktop counterparts. Now, however, all chips since Nvidia's 7000 series atleast support Shader Model 3. I'm not sure of ATI's older chips, so I guess a quick google [or bing] search would tell you whether then X1250 supports Shader model 3, and hence most likely AC09.

Also, this info is for the minimal requirement to run the game, but don't expect quality performance out of a laptop chip in most cases as I said before they are dumbed down versions of their desktop counterparts.

EDIT - I just checked. To cut a long story short, the X1250 only supports shader model 2 at max, so your chances of running AC09 are now next to zero, going by what Rob Walkey said. He said that they're only supporting SM3 now, so your card is now obsolete in regards to this game! :)

Hope that helped,
Kshitiz

i am left with no option now. i have to buy xbox or ps3

Pays for buying a laptop instead of a desktop. :p Remember, laptops are not and will never be for gaming.

You might be right but from my point of view, I think laptops can be used to play games with good graphics. I have an HP laptop and a desktop pc but my laptop got better graphic card, speed, sound card, etc. I play most of the new games on my laptop and they work well. GTA-IV lags every 2 seconds in my desktop pc but it works smoothly on my laptop. They only reason it is better on pc is because it is much better playign with mouse and with high def. speakers. Also, BLIC07 only works on my laptop and not on my desktop pc. So, if Coolz wants to try using a laptop, I think it will work because I have an experience on this issue.

You might be right but from my point of view, I think laptops can be used to play games with good graphics. I have an HP laptop and a desktop pc but my laptop got better graphic card, speed, sound card, etc. I play most of the new games on my laptop and they work well. GTA-IV lags every 2 seconds in my desktop pc but it works smoothly on my laptop. They only reason it is better on pc is because it is much better playign with mouse and with high def. speakers. Also, BLIC07 only works on my laptop and not on my desktop pc. So, if Coolz wants to try using a laptop, I think it will work because I have an experience on this issue.

yea if he wants to buy a 3000 dollar laptop. Cool just get a PS3, that way u will have a PC and a Blu Ray Player.
Who knows there might even be a Ashes Cricket PS3 package, but i doubt that

Because probably you made the wrong decision in buying the desktop meh.

This is going all off topic though...

well your laptop has a better graphics chipset than your desktop so you can run it better but always remember that laptops are not meant or designed for gaming.we also have gaming laptops but they are designed to stay cooler because of the extra heat generated by the GPU's and are a little different in design when compared to the normal lappies!

can we just move ahead on the topic, please! :rolleyes:

Users who are viewing this thread