Player of THIS Decade?

Cheteswar Pujara anyone? I can envisage this bloke holding our batting order together all by himself, after the retirement of stars like Sachin, Dravid, and Laxman. We are as much excited about him as the Australians are about Philip Hughes!

Cheteswar Pujara anyone? I can envisage this bloke holding our batting order together all by himself, after the retirement of stars like Sachin, Dravid, and Laxman. We are as much excited about him as the Australians are about Philip Hughes!

Yes Cheteswar Pujara is good prospect for the future . He might be the next Dravid of India.

-Mitchell Johnson, Stuart Broad, Iran Pathan etc....could dominate this decade as allrounders.

-Dale Steyn, Mohammad Aamer and Kemar Roach could be the standout bowlers.

-Phillip Hughes, Callum Ferguson, Cameron White would become star batsmen for Australia.

Last edited:
Reckon AB de villiers and Cook will be the standout batsmen of the decade. Both of them are already 25 and have played over 50 test matches with decent records to boot. They can only improve in the next couple of years at least.

Shakib hasn't been mentioned a lot. That's surprising. I expect him to easily be the best allrounder of the coming decade.

Shakib, Dale Steyn, AB De Villiers, Mitch Johnson, Clarke, JP Duminy, KP are sure bets for me.

Umar Akmal and Mohammed Amer both stand a very good shot.

And then possibly Kohli, Southee, Broad, Mendis, Barath, Roach, Hughes.

I've tried to go for players who have already debuted BTW.

Last edited:
I still think Pietersen's going to be the batsman of the decade. He's only 29, so he's still got a good 7/8 years left in him I think and if he finally starts kicking on and making the most of his talent in the next couple of years, then I see him having a Ponting-esque decade. I'm hoping he finishes his career regarded as highly as a Viv Richards or a Brian Lara, has so much talent, one of the most naturally gifted batsmen in World Cricket.

-Mitchell Johnson

mitch is older than a lot of much more established bowlers about, I don't see him magically becoming much better than steyn when steyn is 2 years younger, and I don't see him playing long enough to get any sort of rep as the dominant bowler of the decade.

Mitch has arguably only about 3-4 years of his best cricket left. Though aussie pacers have seemed to last longer than other nations recently so maybe he'll manage to bowl most of the decade.

Last edited:
I still think Pietersen's going to be the batsman of the decade. He's only 29, so he's still got a good 7/8 years left in him I think and if he finally starts kicking on and making the most of his talent in the next couple of years, then I see him having a Ponting-esque decade. I'm hoping he finishes his career regarded as highly as a Viv Richards or a Brian Lara, has so much talent, one of the most naturally gifted batsmen in World Cricket.

I don't know about naturally gifted, as a youngster in SA he wasn't ever top notch even though he had opportunities to shine, but he has worked damn hard to get where he is and he deserves his plaudits.

Naturally gifted cricketers generally play a level or 2 above their colleagues at a young age and stand-out like a sore thumb eg. Lara, Richards, Tendulkar, Ponting, Gibbs, Kallis, etc.

tbh, pietersen played as a spinner well into his teens, maybe even 20s, then switched to being a batsman and became the best in their team. I'd say he has quite a bit of natural ability. though given the examples you've mentioned, ok fair enough, I'd say he was behind them in terms of ability (apart from gibbs)

anyways, whatever the case, he's not going to be batsman of the decade.

Naturally gifted cricketers generally play a level or 2 above their colleagues at a young age and stand-out like a sore thumb eg. Lara, Richards, Tendulkar, Ponting, Gibbs, Kallis, etc.

wow some heavy company for Gibbs. Your favorite player maybe?

Users who are viewing this thread