Post your questions about the game here!

Ross - I've been reading reviews of the other sporting games you've built to try to get background for how this game might turn out. With gameplay 'king', I'm not worried about whether they were rated highly on sound, graphics, etc, just gameplay.

IGN gave AFL Live a 6/10, with

.. gameplay that is sometimes OK, and sometimes isn't:

Is AFL Live a great sports video game? No. Does it feel like football? Sometimes.

IGN gave Rugby League Live 2 the same 6/10 rating (specifically 6/10 for gameplay too):

? Still too many annoying flaws
? Interceptions are too rife
? Fickle passing

Rugby League Live 2 is enjoyable, really, but only when it?s behaving.

You've said in the past you believe this will be your best selling sports game - but that is more down to the audience. You've also said things like DBC being able to reuse many years' work from other engines - though the engines aren't hugely related to gameplay.

I'm sure:

- you are very happy with what you have produced
- that the more games you make, the better they become in general
- these games will never compare to the ratings of FIFA, Madden.

But would you say those reviews are fair - and if you put DBC alongside those games, do you think it's a gigantic/big/medium/small step up? If you were IGN and rating the games from an independent perspective, would you give both those games a 6, and expect DBC to get a 6, 7, 8, ..?

I've written many a post on reviews, we refuse to "buy" the reviews or send free copies, we don't review well but luckily enough there is no relationship between reviews and sales.

The number of reviews that simply say why isn't this as good as FIFA or Madden drive me nuts...

I have no idea what our score will be, it's reasonably random - our Fan bases review scores are generally higher than the "professional" review scores.

Yeah, that wasn't really my main question - was more trying to get your ideas of how this game compares to your previous ones.

For example, was gameplay 'king' in those two games, and do you think you pulled it off? If you think gameplay was brilliant, do you think DBC gameplay is at a similar level? Or do you see the flaws in the past games, and think this one is far superior?

That sort of thing :)

TripleM, similar questions have been asked before and Ross had said that this is their most superior and better game that they could come up with

Honestly, Cricket Academy alone should get 9 out of 10 for its shier depth

The game itself would have some quirks and misses as its their first cricket game but we have seen the dedication they have showed to concentrate on the gameplay and set the bar high

OK, thanks. I searched for a while but couldn't find any gameplay comparisons other than to other cricket games (other games were compared to in numbers of sales, graphics, engines, but not gameplay). Was just wondering how good Ross thinks the AFL/League gameplay are now comparatively now that he's built a stunning cricket game :)

My guess is that with AFL/League having so much action (huge numbers of players running around at once, breaking tackles, jumping, etc), they're much harder to get right. Cricket as a game is far more limited in what you can do, meaning they could spend a lot more time on minute details getting everything right.

Here's hoping anyway :)

All reviews are irrelevant until PlanetCricket post their official review...

[/towingcompanyline]

Reviewers at IGN or Gamespot don't know enough about intricacies of cricket to write a genuine review. They have given 7 and 8 to genuinely pathetic cricket games of the past. If you want a review, wait for one here at PC. We know what we are talking about.

...our Fan bases review scores are generally higher than the "professional" review scores.

and I think that is all that counts. There are many guys here from the Footy and also the guys who have played BAS' titles only 'to get a taste of what Ross is cooking for us' and almost everyone of them was satisfied.

The critics do what they got to do. The Oscars are not won by critics :p

Remember guys that the Gamespot press release for Bradman 14 had the Ashes 2013 burning bails until I emailed them...

It really means nothing. This game will get criticised for a lack of licences. Some American guy will say "it's stupid that in this day and age we can't have proper names in a cricket game" without any reference to the efforts of Cricket Academy to get around the issue or the difficulty/expense in obtaining licences.

Remember guys that the Gamespot press release for Bradman 14 had the Ashes 2013 burning bails until I emailed them...

It really means nothing. This game will get criticised for a lack of licences. Some American guy will say "it's stupid that in this day and age we can't have proper names in a cricket game" without any reference to the efforts of Cricket Academy to get around the issue or the difficulty/expense in obtaining licences.

frankly, i have to say i PREFER an option like cricket academy to licenses especially when recently licenses have come alongside a load of use/editing restrictions. even if we had "real" likeness/kits, they would be out of date soon anyway, and in CA there are some great likenesses already.

i say sod the licenses and spend the money on a better product.

How limited is the Footy Factory in RLL2 by licences? Is it really that licences make it impossible for editing flexibility, or are cricket games just the victim of bad licence negotiations or other factors that mean they are more limited?

Users who are viewing this thread